Same things, two different places.

phrred

HSC
lala2 said:
USYD = UMELB
UNSW = Monash

Same things, two different places.
pretty much
but i dont see many people choosing unsw over sydney for law (unless theyre asian)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
LottoX said:
I'll try my hardest to get into UNSW or USyd, but I don't know if that 0.2 - 0.6 will be attainable.
USyd is top 10 or so in NSB. UNSW is about top 20.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
_dhj_ said:
Actually it may be cheaper for international students, but local students can defer a significant part the fee just like hecs afaik. For international students (particularly from rich HK) the fee is generally worth it for the "brand" of the University. You will also probably find better paid part-time employment in Sydney which offsets the gap aswell.
We were talking about LottoX and he is domestic, as you well know. Regarding employment, you're just making that up :p

nainani

HSC
N/A
Wow! Quite a variety of conflicting opinions...

At the moment for me its leaning to either Comm/Law at USyd or just Law at UMelb... but I'm quite confused.

The Good Universities Guide on the whole seems to make UNSW and USyd the premier places for Law, but for me UNSW is TOO asian - other people I have spoken to claim that they think it doesn't give an 'Australian' experience

Any thoughts on this matter?

HSC
Personally, I think you should go with whatever you think is best for you. The concerns about a uni being "too asian" is a bit of a dead point if you're choosing between USyd/UNSW/UMelb/Monash, because its really up to you if you want to get the "Australian" experience. Lets face it, there are Asians wherever you are in Syd & Melb, and unless you branch out, you will surrounded by them no matter what. Unless you go to a rural uni to do law.

And as a "banana" at UNSW doing Arts/Law, I really don't see whats the big deal about being surrounded by Asians. I'm not turning any more honkie cos I'm at UNSW. It's really who you talk to. If you stay in your little group of honkies, you WILL remain honkie. If you branch out, you'll get a more Australian experience no matter what.

That's just my opinion though. =)

But I think UNSW is better known in HK, cos my grandmother there got all excited when she heard I got in, and she was saying how it was "the best". Local reputation maybe?

HSC
You forgot the random outcast clique. :p

I don't fit in any of those categories. =(

how about the selective school/tutoring asian clique. one asian from one selective school knows another. and another from tutoring. and another cos they transferred from that selective school to THAT selective school. and so they know each other.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wheredanton said:
So come on people! Tell me what the cliques are at ANU, Maqu, UTS or Sydney.
ANU:

The "I'm doing Arts/Law with a focus on International Relations and/or Languages and/or Modern History" and im going to work for DFAT clique. Sometimes I feel that everyone except for me is a member.

The Burgmann Clique - All the colleges have their own cliques, but the Burgmann clique is by far the most notorious. Consisting of guys from Knox and other private schools from around Sydney you can pick these guys out from the masses because they're always in polo shirts and talking about the good times they had back in Sydney with girls from PLC. The Burgmann clique has often been busted for plaigarism, but one can only assume that they'll keep finding ways to beat the system.

The "I'm older and therefore smarter than you clique" - Mature age students, often working in the lower tiers of the public service. Often keen to boast about their very limited life experience etc. One particular mature age student who worked at DFAT as a grunt was constantly pretending that he knew secrets of national security... but that he just couldn't tell us.

The Locals - As a member of the college clique, I don't know anything about them and they know nothing about me. The local Canberrans are the faceless mass that fill up lecture theatres.

Rumour has it that a small group of consistant over-achievers have formed an unstoppable study clique that meets regularly in the basement of the Hancock library. Whether these rumours are true, and whether a group of intrepid young law students would be fearless enough to face the ghosts in the Hancock basement has yet to be seen.

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
neo o said:
ANU:

The "I'm doing Arts/Law with a focus on International Relations and/or Languages and/or Modern History" and im going to work for DFAT clique. Sometimes I feel that everyone except for me is a member.
Do any of them apply for Attorney Generals dept?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
You forgot the mooting clique -- baby-barristers who march around advocating :p

wheredanton said:
1. There is a Asian evangelical clique. Large and very powerful powerful
I wouldn't say powerful. Large and annoying, yes. But powerful?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
You forgot the mooting clique -- baby-barristers who march around advocating :p
You may add them to the unsw clique list if you wish ;)

turtleface

HSC
nainani said:
Wow! Quite a variety of conflicting opinions...

At the moment for me its leaning to either Comm/Law at USyd or just Law at UMelb... but I'm quite confused.

The Good Universities Guide on the whole seems to make UNSW and USyd the premier places for Law, but for me UNSW is TOO asian - other people I have spoken to claim that they think it doesn't give an 'Australian' experience

Any thoughts on this matter?
don't come to UofMelbourne

keep your racist shit out of my uni

seriously though, I don't think Law by itself is a good idea. It seems most firms like someone who has a second (undergraduate) degree with law. (eg arts, commerce)

edit: oh you're asian yourself. Melbourne uni law is mostly asians anyway. if you want an "australian" experience (whatever that means), you'd probably be better at a 2nd tier uni...less asians.

Last edited:
L

littlewing69

neo o said:
ANU:

Damn it! I'm a member of that clique and I'm not even at uni yet!

michaeln36

HSC
UNSW or USYD all the way!
they have the advantage of being located in the nations centre - sydney - and are probably the two best law schools in australia (pffft melbourne unis try to compete -- but everyone knows they're second best :p)!

phrred

HSC
wheredanton said:
All universities have their various cliques. Based on a non exhaustive analysis I can present the following cliques that exist at unsw law.

1. There is a Asian evangelical clique. Large and very powerful powerful

2. The eastern suburbs clique.

3. The postgraduate clique.

4. The WASP clique.

5. The Sydney Grammar clique.

6. Smaller sub cliques based on location. People from the south, people from the north, people from the west and people from the east.

Of course people move between these cliques and cliques overlap. 'frinstance I am reasonably friendly with one or two of the clique 1. I am known to this group by some people but I'm not really a friend of the group. Since I don't attend any religious gatherings I'm not a core member. I'm at the external fringe because I get on with one or two or its core members. I'm also not that Asian in the commerce stereotyped HK type way. I'm on a 'hello, *make conversation with* basis with some in the Sydney Grammar clique, however I'll never be a core member here because, well, I didn't go to grammar.

So come on people! Tell me what the cliques are at ANU, Maqu, UTS or Sydney.
Id change the Grammar clique at UNSW with the asian selective school/ i want to work at macquarie bank

i went to grammar n i can tell you most went to USYD, rumoured 15-20% of USYD law school is made of grammar students- maybe thats y theyre more prestigious than UNSW law school

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
That would make 30 Grammar students per year - I doubt it.

This clique business is rubbish I reckon.

phrred

HSC
_dhj_ said:
That would make 30 Grammar students per year - I doubt it.

This clique business is rubbish I reckon.
I dont, i can think of 15 HECS guys already, and hell r there a lot of fee payers

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wheredanton said:
Do any of them apply for Attorney Generals dept?
I wouldn't really know... but I did! :p

axie

HSC
N/A
I notice Newcastle never gets a mention in any law school discussions, does it fly under the radar, or is it so bad it doesn't even rate a mention?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wheredanton said:
but you're only 2nd year!
That doesn't mean that I can't try! Besides, there isn't a summer clerk program in Canberra, so if you're lucky you can get into firms with Canberra offices like Minter Ellison and government departments in your second or third year. A friend of mine got a summer job at DFAT in his second year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)