Best textbooks for subjects 2013 (1 Viewer)

Frostbitten

HSC
Greetings all,

What are the best textbooks to get for:

Physics
Chemistry
English - Advanced
2u Mathematics

Or if you know any great textbooks for other subjects such as bio, pdhpe etc feel free to post them to help others.

Any revision guides or similar things are also welcomed. :)

Sankyou, sankyou very much.

omgiloverice

HSC
physics - Physics in Focus, Jacaranda physics, SURFING Physics, Dot point
Chemistry - conquering chemistry (4th edition, but beware some questions have errors), Dot point (must)
2U maths - Maths In focus (starting points), Understanding maths (for more HSC type questions), Success one, Cambridge (if your feeling confident)

Last edited:

Deliriously

HSC
Lol don't use SURFING books pleaasee. They're good for like last last minute revision but other than that, the theory/questions and model answers aren't that great compared to the other books.
Id say for Physics - Jacaranda is the best then Physics in Focus. Dot point maybe .. if you don't like writing notes on the computer but they're decent for revision
Chemistry - Conquering chemistry, Jacaranda (goes into a lot of irrelevant detail but good if you want to expand your knowledge) and Contexts
2U maths - I'm not sure but i would think fitzpatrick is good or Maths in Focus (good foundation if you are not competent)

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
For maths 2u- I would say get MATHS Topic by Topi Exam questions book- Which has summary at the start, then exam style questions of heaps of practice- Iscored 98% for my half-yealy using this. Check it out

Chemistry- Make your own notes- no need to waste money on stupid textbooks.
Biology- Make your own notes- no need to waste money on stupid textbooks. Use Heinemann Bilogy textbook-it has great notes under each syllabus point- summary notes at the back.

GUYS... THERE ARE HEAPS OF BAND 6 NOTES on the Internet, on here. SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING YOU LIKE- MUCK BETTER TO BUY NOTES AND MAKE YOUR OWN TO LEARN THE CONCEPTS, especially in chemistry and biology which are both content based subjects:spzz:

Last edited:

Aidejay

HSC
Physics- Physics in Focus, Odlum & Garner Past HSC Papers with Worked Solutions (I prefer this over the Success One)
Chemistry- Conquering, Contexts and Odlum and Garner Worked Solutions
2u Mathematics- Phoenix Practice Questions By Topic(pink and green), Fitzpatrick, Cambridge and Past Papers they're everywhere on this site

:D

madharris

HSC
N/A
Chemistry- Make your own notes- no need to waste money on stupid textbooks.
Biology- Make your own notes- no need to waste money on stupid textbooks. Use Heinemann Bilogy textbook-it has great notes under each syllabus point- summary notes at the back.

GUYS... THERE ARE HEAPS OF BAND 6 NOTES on the Internet, on here. SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING YOU LIKE- MUCK BETTER TO BUY NOTES AND MAKE YOUR OWN TO LEARN THE CONCEPTS, especially in chemistry and biology which are both content based subjects:spzz:
Although I do agree that buying peoples notes can be beneficial, they should in no way substitute a textbook
Purely because a textbook actually goes into depth in explaining concepts and ideas.
Notes are summaries of these concepts and may potentially miss out on some specific detail (even if they're state ranking notes)

@OP:
Chemistry: Conquering chemistry and chemistry in context 2 is are really good
2u: Cambridge is really good, especially the challenge questions
English: Nothing really beats your own notes/teachers notes, if you want go look in the library at study guides and such but don't buy one
Bio: Heineman or biology in focus is sufficient

HSC
Chemistry: Jacaranda or conquering chemestry.
Biology: Biology in focus
Maths: cambridge

Capt Rifle

HSC
Physics: Robert Farr Physics In focus
Maths 2u: SB Jones / Camb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)