Best Weights Program! (1 Viewer)

Oliver04

HSC
Press:

5-6 compounds and 2-3 isolations all for the shoulders?? I tend to make my workouts up on the fly and build my workouts around a handful of compounds and some stabiliser exercises. So this morning was a shoulder focus:
for the entire body. Every exercise I do hits the shoulders, but in particular the overhead press and bench.

quik.

HSC
Agreed that your body doesn't simply ignore a certain set of muscle-fibres at a certain rep-range, however the studies do show that different ranges train the fibres to a different extent, and cause a different physiological response. Otherwise long distance runners would all have massve legs.

As far as energy pathways 1RM-5RM training will be hammering the phosphagen and glygogen energy pathways (anerobic), training for more reps will start to bring the oxidative (aerobic) pathway onstream.
Marathon runners don't have huge legs because their muscle fibres are not necessarily what their training focuses on. They will have ENORMOUS amounts of mitochondria, and the mitochondria themselves would be quite large.

Your second paragraph is what I said, so we are in agreement there ^_^

I don't disagree with your overall philosophy by any means, I support both being able to lift heavy things and walk up a flight of stairs without getting breathless. Just wanted to clear up the muscle fibre stuff etc from the initial post that I saw.

BreezerD

HSC
Yes reaaaaaally, your shoulder blades are holding up dat dere bar!
Well yes, the posterior delts (and upper traps, rhomboids etc) are contracted to provide a stable platform for the bar, but they're not necessarily "stabilising" in the way the word "stabiliser" relates to lifting, eg the abdominals stabilising the core in the deadlift by maintaining their length.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I tend to think that any shoulder mass/strength gained from squatting would be from general hormonal/neurological changes caused by squatting not from any direct stimulus....

Oliver04

HSC
I know where you guys are going with this and I agree with you - I wouldnt directly recommend squats for building shoulders, but I think the core 5 in unison would develop them and squats are part of that core.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)