Best/Worst Novel (2 Viewers)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hehehhe, What is it with extension 1 english novels? I dislike mine incredibly too *The Bone People, by Keri Hulme*, a book by someone writing a story about herself winning the lottery and becoming an annoying idiot eunuch whose only friends in the whole world by choice are some dumb drunk maori and his adopted mute foreign child. She spent 4 pages talking about gutting a fish, but skimped on the ending, which is only about half a page. Pft.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Josie said:
Hehehhe, What is it with extension 1 english novels? I dislike mine incredibly too *The Bone People, by Keri Hulme*, a book by someone writing a story about herself winning the lottery and becoming an annoying idiot eunuch whose only friends in the whole world by choice are some dumb drunk maori and his adopted mute foreign child. She spent 4 pages talking about gutting a fish, but skimped on the ending, which is only about half a page. Pft.
Oh? I'd heard that novel was very good in its post-colonialistic ways.. Won the Booker Prize, I believe.

My novel for Extension 1 was Snow Falling On Cedars, which wasn't brilliant, but quite good. Then again, I was in the unusual position of genuinely enjoying almost all of my Year 12 texts. :)

Can't answer the actual question, have read too many great novels. Will say Ulysses in a pinch though, just for the huge amount of genres, innovation, influence, technique and in-depth characterization.. Yes.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Gregor Samsa said:
My novel for Extension 1 was Snow Falling On Cedars, which wasn't brilliant, but quite good. Then again, I was in the unusual position of genuinely enjoying almost all of my Year 12 texts. :)
I love Snow Falling on Cedars, and I love the film version as well. I actually think I like the film more...

What elective did you do Snow Falling on Cedars for?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
super katie said:
I love Snow Falling on Cedars, and I love the film version as well. I actually think I like the film more...

What elective did you do Snow Falling on Cedars for?
Crime Fiction. I believe its been replaced by Anil's Ghost now, though.

isitjax

HSC
N/A
i went through a big catcher in the rye satge- but i think everyone does. i love joseph hellers catch 22, anything by franz kafka,

i cant stand anything by john marsden and that other guy victor kelleher :( aghhhhhhh

:)

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Best: Arthurian books - mists of Avalon, Isolde series
Also 'The other Boleyn sister' and lots more, chinese cinderella

Worst: Catch 22, Spy who came in from the cold, dream catcher - damn, i read all these in english, tupid school, ruining books.....

Cicciolina

HSC
Best:
The Secret History, Donna Tartt. Absolutely fantastic. Everyone should read this book.
This Lullaby, Sarah Dessen. One of those teeny type novels, but it's really good. I just reread it last night.

Worst:
Catcher in the Rye - I appreciate what it's doing and all that, but I didn't enjoy it.
Twelve - ditto. So pretentious
Great Expectations - So boring.
A little lower than the angels - Some book I had to read in grade 7 for school. Ergh.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
best: looking for alibrandi, summer sisters ( judy blume)- it being an adult book, the content kind of spooked me out!

plenty of books await for me after my HSC, im buying books, they are on my shelf.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
Cicciolina said:
Best:
The Secret History, Donna Tartt. Absolutely fantastic. Everyone should read this book.
couldnt have put it better myself!

rowie

nikki gemmell is the best aussie chick authour.. shiver, cleave and bride stripped bare are in my opinion her three best novels... these are books you can't put down

Jillie

Best: Giants of the Frost - Kim Wilkins... This woman is AMAZING!! The book is her best, IMO.
Also, New Spring by Robert Jordan (or any of his WOT books) - but this was the better one, a new POV from the best character, Lan!! :D
Trader - Charles de Lint. Been a while since I read it, but I can remember it being soo good. The main character rocks.

Worst: ANY of Terry Goodkind's books... *shudders*
Great Expectations... It was an alright story, I just couldn't care about any of the characters in it, I tried, but I just couldn't.

Oh, and I like The Subtle Knife .. Not one of the best I have read, but I liked the whole series.

Luthien

Somewhere in the wilderness of my crazy mind
HSC
- What's the name of the best novel that you have read? Why do you feel that it is the best?
The Lord of the Rings by far, it's a masterpiece. it makesme laugh, cry, feel proud, angry, annoyed, scared, happy, beautiful. The world and language Tolkien created(or recreated) is just purely amazing, that someone will dedicate so much to a novel. Also when readingit i am always mistaken for believing it is true history.

- What's the name of the worst novel that you have read? Why do you feel that it's the worst?
The Scar by China Mieville, i couldn't getinto it at all, it isn't my type of story, i was bored whilst reading itand never wantedto, it didn'tdrawme in.

ravenheart

HSC
The best novel i've ever read gotta be "The Count of Monte Cristo" by A. Dumas

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Persephone87 said:
I am not liking Catcher in the Rye at the Moment

My favourites are 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
Kafka is good as well...jeez...there are so many good books out there. I liked Catcher in the Rye though...and I've never read the Chocolate War by Robert Cormier but from the sparknotes it sounds really good.

pop fiction though...um...the da vinci code is good, as are david eddings/raymond feist fantasy.

DOUGLAS ADAMS!!!

Anything mills and boons is serious crapahola though.

TiSHa

the book "rose Madder" by steven king is the best book ive read

DumbparameciuM

Gotta agree with Cherryblossom, most, if not ALL of Kafka's work rocks. My favourite would have to be either "A Hunger Artist", "The Judgement", or "Metamorphisis".

ATM my favourite book would either be Maldoror by Comte De Lautremont (I'm reading it for the fifth time)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Persephone87 said:
I am not liking Catcher in the Rye at the Moment

My favourites are 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
:uhhuh::uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)