Best/Worst Novel (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
Best - Way too many to list, but from the top of my head: Dorian Gray, anything from Bryce Courtenay, Wheel of Time series.

Worst - Grapes of Wrath, Vos, Obernewton series, anything given by the english department

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
DumbparameciuM said:
Gotta agree with Cherryblossom, most, if not ALL of Kafka's work rocks. My favourite would have to be either "A Hunger Artist", "The Judgement", or "Metamorphisis".
Don't forget 'The Burrow' (No story has better rendered the feelings of claustrophobia and paranoia), 'The Cares of a Family Man' (So succint) and 'The Great Wall Of China'. :)

Saul

*ss
HSC
Demandred said:
Best - Way too many to list, but from the top of my head: Dorian Gray, anything from Bryce Courtenay, Wheel of Time series.

Worst - Grapes of Wrath, Vos, Obernewton series, anything given by the english department

go dorian gray... a beautiful book..

MoNNiE

HSC
believe it or not.. i actually liked the novels that were given to us to read at school..

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Best
- Great Expectations (come on, someone had to say it! How could you not love the scene where Joe and Pip learn to read?!)
- The French Lieutenant's Woman (first postmodern bookm I ever read. Amazing)
- To Kill a Mockingbird (why hasn't it made it on this list earlier? It's a masterpiece!)
- Herodotus' Histories (not strictly a book, but he took so much artistic licence it reads like one)
- Anything by Oscar Wilde (wit incarnated)
- Oooh, and ISABELLE ALLENDE!!!! She is my god.

Worst
...I never did get in to Isabelle Carmody or Little House on the Prairie. Or Beowulf. But I think Tuesdays With Morrie takes the cake.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoNNiE said:
believe it or not.. i actually liked the novels that were given to us to read at school..
if you're talking about Cloudstreet, i'm gonna stab you :( i never liked it, ever.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
best: DEFINANTLY 'alone by myself' by mel woss - some ppl might find it weird reading a diary of a chick who committed suicide, but it makes you see all the beautiful things in this world
i also like briar rose...& streetcar wasnt 2 bad

i cant stand austin (did p&p last yr..neva got past bout 1/4-1/2 d way thru)...n shakespeare

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Best book in the ENTIRE WORLD is The Lovely Bones - By Alice Sebold

the worst book i've read so far is Vernon God Little by DBC Pierce or sumthing

HSC
best books: too many to name but i'll just say lord of the rings, i capture the castle, pride and prejudice, looking for alibrandi, maureen mccarthy novels, the virgin suicides and king lear (best shakespeare play for me...too bad my school aren't studying it for hsc english)

worst: the english patient-waaaay too descriptive and boring. sometimes it elaborates on really unnecessary detail. the movie didn't help. that was even worse!

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
the name of the rose - unmberto eco, a religious whodunnit way better than the davinci code.

the annubis gates by tim powers, a must read for all fantasy lovers (actually, any book by powers is a must read).

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
oh, i forgot "the sandman" comic book series by neil gaiman. after you read these you will never look at comic books the same way again.

astro

HSC
another 'best' would have to be 'The crucible' by Arthur Miller.....even though it's a play, would it still be considered as a book

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I couldnt readily call any book, the "best book" but I've been going back to "to kill a mockingbird" and it's reminding me every time why it's such a likeable book :D

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
i agree sarah, TKAM gets better every time you read it.. :)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Really painful books to read... Del Del can't remember the author, Dear Nobody also can't remember the author, Emma - Austen. J.
I read them all at school and this was like years ago and its stil painful!

and as usual there are too many good books to name :(

tabularasa

HSC
The worst book i have ever read woudl probably be Merryl of the stones. Followed losly by strange objects. Eghh they sucked. The best is either frankenstein or Great gatsby. Such good books.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
eviltama said:
Really painful books to read... Del Del can't remember the author, Dear Nobody also can't remember the author, Emma - Austen. J.
I read them all at school and this was like years ago and its stil painful!
Del del was by Victor Kheller - i thought it was pretty awesome for a 14 year old read! although it had unpredictable twists and turns, the unfolding events somehow turned out to be quite predictable..

Jane austen painful? NEVER! TAKE IT BACK! ;) Granted Austen can get verbose.. Emma is not as funny as persuasion: shorter and sharper :)

tehe people tend to hate texts forcibly read in english during highschool, im strangely the opp. come on, king lear is awesome! :p

Last edited:

Insanity

HSC
Best: the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich, Song of the Lioness series, Ancient Future Trilogy ...and some other more.

Worst: Anything written by Victor Kelleher, hands down.
I heard that Heart of Darkness was quite bad ... but I never read it, even though the English department gave it to us. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)