Better to work in bigger or smaller store? (1 Viewer)

frontin

HSC
Hey all,

I just got offered a job trial in the city today (part time for a small store) but I'm also still waiting on my Myer Christmas Casual accept or reject letter.

IF I get the Myer job, I was wondering is it better to work in something bigger and more established like Myer, or a smaller (but still franchised) store?

Factors I'm also considering are:
a) The Christmas Casual job for Myer is only contracted from between Nov-Jan whereas small store is more permanent which is what I want.
b) The small store is my favourite place to shop, and I buy lots of clothes from there. Not so much Myer.
c) Myer is closer to travel to (not so much an issue)

Cheers

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Congrats on the job.

Go for the small store as you like it and know its products fairly well already. On top of that, you've been given a chance to work there so chances are, if you don't screw up, you'll be working there permanently.

Fuck Myer btw.

Kiim2507

HSC
Small store definitely
I used to work for Coles and I hated it. Now I work for KFC and I love it. Love the small store atmosphere...you become friendly with everyone esp because they are more my age whereas Coles most people where a lot older. Get to know the managers better so it's easier to approach them if you have any problems.

If you like to shop in the small store then definitely go for it because you will probably get discounts. Also you will be able to where their clothes while you work while Myer will have a uniform.

frontin

HSC
Thanks guys!

this definitely reassured me as I've never worked in a smaller store before (only had exp in big franchises thus far)

TheStallion

HSC
I used to work for Coles and I hated it. Now I work for KFC and I love it.
Can you elaborate on why (more than you already did), since this makes absolutely no sense to me. KFC you get paid less, and are trapped inside a small place preparing greasy food out the back, or serving customers with fast food. At least at Coles we can move around the whole store rather than being trapped, and get paid more. IMO, at Coles you also do work which is better (more fun stacking shelves and helping customers than cooking a burger imo).

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
He's referring to the people.

I'm assuming because his managers at Coles were dumbcunts who couldn't do their job effectively due to inexperience whereas everyone else around his were probably too old.

KFC seems probably better since everyone would roughly be around the same age and better chance to get to know your coworkers better. The work would be shit though.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I would go for the smaller store. I work in clothing retail, and the discounts on clothing that I love comes in handy (though I do have to limit yourself in what I buy so I don't waste all my pay!). And it's permament as opposed to Christmas only...

Plus if you know the product well, you'll find it much easier to represent and sell (just be prepared to actively sell to and help a customer, greeting them is not enough to make sales budgets).

You'll find that the atmosphere is quite nice (people are there to try on things and have fun, as opposed to doing a chore like getting groceries) but you'll tend to take on more responsibility than in Myer (e.g. if you want time off in a small store, it's harder to find staff to replace you, especially if you're at a supervisory or management level.)

Good luck with the trial!

TheStallion

HSC
He's referring to the people.

I'm assuming because his managers at Coles were dumbcunts who couldn't do their job effectively due to inexperience whereas everyone else around his were probably too old.

KFC seems probably better since everyone would roughly be around the same age and better chance to get to know your coworkers better. The work would be shit though.
Ah alright I see. I suppose it depends on the store then, I work with only one other person my age, most are mid 20's and late 30's, but they're all awesome, and we can have a joke/laugh/talk while working. My manager is a bit of an idiot though.

So yeah, depends on the store.

onholidays

HSC
I think big store imo. They're more likely to pay you the right wages, whereas smaller businesses such as family-owned tiny stores will tell you that because they're so small, they cannot afford to pay you too much. And it's more flexible working with a big employer as they have more people to fill in if you can't, big employers are more well-recognised which is great when you go for another job.

But it also depends on the stores... you could have crap managers in a big store and great coworkers in the small store...depends...however just have a think about the type of people you'd be working with, how good the managers are, which type of work suits you better, what kind of customers each has...and make up your mind..

In the meantime though, keep the small store job while you wait for Myer. You can always quit any time.

onholidays

HSC
And with big employers, you might have better working conditions as they are more obliged to obey the employment laws.

frontin

HSC
Thanks again for all the advice guys!

I agree that it definitely depends on the type of store/customers/managers.

So far, the manager of the small store seems young-ish and friendly so I don't think he'll be that much of a bitch (I'm still expecting anything though..) whereas when I worked in the bigger stores, there was more bitching between the managers and usually the "higher up" people were quite catty.

I've shopped at the place for a few years now, and the sales assistants are all young 20's guys, so I think the atmosphere should be good. Already made friends with a few who gave me a good word.

In terms of pay, does anybody work in the city? Should they be paying more in a retail store in QVB/Galeries Victoria/World Square/Sydney Central Plaza/Imperial Arcade then say, a retail store in a suburban Westfield? Or does it depend on award rate? I'm still 18, so I'm not expecting anything fantastic, but I really hope the pay is better in the city due to location.

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
The pay would really depend on the type of franchisee of the small store you're describing. Most chains have a set pay rate regardless of where you work, but if you're working for a designer with a higher price point, you should expect to be paid more given that you'd need to sell your product to make sales targets, as opposed to just "serving", if that makes sense. The 18 year olds at my store (not franchised and low to mid price point) get 14-15 dollars an hour, depending on experience. The retail award rate will give you a rough guide if that helps?

Kiim2507

HSC
Can you elaborate on why (more than you already did), since this makes absolutely no sense to me. KFC you get paid less, and are trapped inside a small place preparing greasy food out the back, or serving customers with fast food. At least at Coles we can move around the whole store rather than being trapped, and get paid more. IMO, at Coles you also do work which is better (more fun stacking shelves and helping customers than cooking a burger imo).
Haha I know it seems weird but basically what the person above me said. Everyone at my work is really friendly and fun and around my age. My managers are awesome...we can muck around with them and have a bit of fun. I love the small store atmosphere because I've gotten to know everyone really well where as at Coles I hardly knew anyone and they were all way older then me.

The training at KFC has been awesome and I've already been given the opportunity to cross train throughout the store and promote to a shift supervisor despite only working there for 8 months.

I never got trained at all at Coles. They basically stuck me on a register and said go. Stuff would never scan properly and when you called for help no one would come.

I can't really comapre the pay because I worked at Coles when I was 16 and now I'm 19. I earn $15.35 an hour which I think is pretty reasonable for the work I do and I'll earn $18 an hour when I become a supervisor.

HSC
i think big store imo. They're more likely to pay you the right wages, whereas smaller businesses such as family-owned tiny stores will tell you that because they're so small, they cannot afford to pay you too much. And it's more flexible working with a big employer as they have more people to fill in if you can't, big employers are more well-recognised which is great when you go for another job.
+1

frontin

HSC
I think big store imo. They're more likely to pay you the right wages, whereas smaller businesses such as family-owned tiny stores will tell you that because they're so small, they cannot afford to pay you too much. And it's more flexible working with a big employer as they have more people to fill in if you can't, big employers are more well-recognised which is great when you go for another job.

But it also depends on the stores... you could have crap managers in a big store and great coworkers in the small store...depends...however just have a think about the type of people you'd be working with, how good the managers are, which type of work suits you better, what kind of customers each has...and make up your mind..

In the meantime though, keep the small store job while you wait for Myer. You can always quit any time.
Thanks for the advice,

The small store isn't a tiny family store, a well recognised mens fashion label but i get your point about the bigger stores and their reputation. I'm scared about the pay, it could either be really good or really disappointing. When I go for the trial tomorrow, I'll ask though definitely.

The big factor I'm thinking about is the fact that Myer is only contracted for pretty much the christmas period. I really do need a job next year, and once the Myer contract ends in mid Jan, I'm scared It'll be hard to find another one around that time. (when most people have already hired for the new year)

Arrgh.. decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
the way u describe it sounds like a no brainer.. u need a job for next yr so continue with the fashion label. if its a well known one like u say, i doubt the pay would be that bad, good chance it might even be better then myer

frontin

HSC
Haha major turn of events.

I went to the small store and did some training, and absolutely hated it. Since it's a high end boutique, there was a responsibility on me to sell a certain number of transactions every shift. Just too much pressure to cash in on customers wallets/purses. I really didn't like the environment of "preying" on customers lol. And the transport there actually did become a bit of a bitch after all.

Luckily I didn't reject Myer, and went for the store induction and now I'm a Myer CC. Myer pays less, but at least now I won't have such a huge responsibility of co-ercing customers into buying expensive clothes.

Thank you everyone for your help :) I've learnt quite a lot through this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)