Big 4 Accounting Firms Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

pinoying

HSC
just stumbled upon this thread. congrats to everyone. i will be vacationing at deloitte this summer.

anyone else not looking forward to wearing a suit everyday throughout a summer full of 30 degree days :(

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
pinoying said:
just stumbled upon this thread. congrats to everyone. i will be vacationing at deloitte this summer.

anyone else not looking forward to wearing a suit everyday throughout a summer full of 30 degree days :(
Leave your jacket at home silly

BeeCom

HSC
If we get offered a grad job after summer vac, what are the conditions with the offer? I'm mainly concerned with if I want to transfer to another division, apply for other jobs etc

pinoying

HSC
I would assume that you are accepted into the service line you have applied for and would have to go through whatever their normal procedure is for an internal transfer.

BeeCom

HSC
pinoying said:
I would assume that you are accepted into the service line you have applied for and would have to go through whatever their normal procedure is for an internal transfer.
I was thinking more a long the lines of whether I'll have to accept the offer within a certain time period, stopping me from applying for grad jobs any where else.

What division are you in?

billbro

HSC
N/A
BeeCom said:
I was thinking more a long the lines of whether I'll have to accept the offer within a certain time period, stopping me from applying for grad jobs any where else.

You will have to accept within a certain time period, just like the summer vac contracts. The time-frame will be before graduate recruitment begins, they want to snare you before that after all.

pinoying

HSC
BeeCom said:

Im in IT services. and I think what billbro said above is probably correct.

Got another package from deloitte in the mail today. A bag with a frisbee, lip balm, a water bottle and a stubby holder all with deloitte logos... bring on summer.

GolfPunk

HSC
Hey has anyone been in a position of being offered a graduate job after completing a vacation position at a Big 4 accounting firm?

I am going to be undertaking vacation work at Delloite and PwC over the summer holidays. During the interview process and in the offers for vac work they indicated that they will let you know if you get a graduate offer shortly after you commence your work.

I am not saying that I am going to get any of these offers but there are a few questions if anyone can help me.

Firstly how long do they give you to accept their offer of employment?

The reason is that I study Law/Commerce(accounting) and I want to get into Tax/Taxation Law (basically tax related). I did work at a tax law firm during the holidays just gone and I really enjoyed it.

However graduate jobs for lawyers is hard to get.

I am not sure If i will enjoy doing tax at the big 4 firms. If I enjoy it as much as the law work or even better i need to make a decision. Only thing is that I cant apply for grad oppurtunities with this law firm later on next year. I have always wanted to do law but i dont want to turn down offers from the big 4 firms which happen early in the yr.

Should I reject the offers and then apply for the Big 4 firms i worked with later and hope I get this law job? Or should (if i get an offer) accept then if i get offered the law accept that one, then tell the Big 4 i dont want to work with them?

Does anyone have any helpful advice?

billbro

HSC
N/A
I think someone mentioned earlier if there would be any other events after you sign – unless it was on another forum.

Anyway, PwC has a lunch next Monday or at least Risk & Control Solutions does.

Huy

HSC
N/A
@GolfPunk: Vaccie with Deloitte and PwC this coming summer (same time)? Explain.

3li

HSC
N/A
i got heaps of mates doing more than one vaccie so they can save up for a trip

as long as its legal why not

Huy

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah. Sorry I didn't think about these really short ones.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
BeeCom said:
If we get offered a grad job after summer vac, what are the conditions with the offer? I'm mainly concerned with if I want to transfer to another division, apply for other jobs etc

A question I have is, will we be affected by the global financial crisis?

I really hope they do not cut the grad. intake of the summer vaccies at the Big4..

can anyone shed any light on this?

deakin2009

HSC
DexJnr said:

I really hope they do not cut the grad. intake of the summer vaccies at the Big4..

I think it will be affected somewhat. depends what depatments people are looking at.

Departments such as Tax(and audit to a certain extent) should manage ok

Departments such as Business Advisory/Risk services will probably be affected the most

On the other hands, firms that run an Insolvency department will probably increase in their activity.

I think someone posted on here that 30 something people at EY in Sydney lost their jobs a couple of weeks back

But just like the whole financial crisis it is just more or less a waiting game i think.

Just my two cents anyways.

Ps if you read BRW top 100 accounting firms, all the big 4 ceos are still predicting positive growth with Deloitte still budgeting for double diget growth so its not all doom and gloom. CEO's are very cautious in what they say so there must be a reasonable amount of confidence out there

3li

HSC
N/A
lol cant believe this

audit at big4 get the same exposure to a market downturn as coca cola does or unilever...

=D

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Auditors have nothing to worry about

Insolvency are cheering

Advisory areas relating to restructuring/cost cutting have potential

billbro

HSC
N/A
DexJnr said:

Posted this on the other forums but...

I don't think anyone would know definitively, but presumably it would. EY and KPMG have frozen their 2010 intake according to some sources, I'm not sure how far this stance extends though. The news was mainly reported through international sources, but SMH also had an article about it.

KPMG did ask me if I wanted to be kept on a list for when graduate recruitment begins, but this might just have been out of courtesy.

What I found interesting, is that even though the crisis should imply there is more accounting work being generate, the firms are still cutting back. A few sources like accountancy age indicated that accounting growth should increase, but the recruitment freeze seems to be contradicting this.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
deakin2009 said:
I think it will be affected somewhat. depends what depatments people are looking at.

Departments such as Tax(and audit to a certain extent) should manage ok

Departments such as Business Advisory/Risk services will probably be affected the most

On the other hands, firms that run an Insolvency department will probably increase in their activity.

I think someone posted on here that 30 something people at EY in Sydney lost their jobs a couple of weeks back

But just like the whole financial crisis it is just more or less a waiting game i think.

Just my two cents anyways.

Ps if you read BRW top 100 accounting firms, all the big 4 ceos are still predicting positive growth with Deloitte still budgeting for double diget growth so its not all doom and gloom. CEO's are very cautious in what they say so there must be a reasonable amount of confidence out there
What kind of world do you live in? CEOs are not cautious about what they say. If you have followed any of this crisis, you will realise that CEOs are full of it. Remember the Bear Stearns CEO saying that the bank was well capitalised just days before it collapsed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)