Big 4 Accounting Firms Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

deakin2009

HSC
Personally i think there is a BIG difference between an american CEO's style V Australian. I dont think you will see an Australian CEO say something as flawed as the Bear Stearns CEO particularly when the wide media knew otherwise

billbro

HSC
N/A
I'd have to side with Velox, what CEO is going to come out and damage the perception of their firm? Everyone wants to provide an opportunistic outlook whenever possible. Sure the CEOs might predict growth, but whether those predictions will be fully realised is a different matter. Either way the global downturn is going to hinder growth and people tend to be more conservative in approach in such circumstances.

GolfPunk

HSC
Huy said:
@GolfPunk: Vaccie with Deloitte and PwC this coming summer (same time)? Explain.
Yer in Perth there placements here are 3 -4 weeks in length (Depending on which firm)

I am doing one before christmas, and the other in January.

does any1 know if we get paid during the weeks we have off during xmas.

a friend of mine was askin me and i have no idea]

thanks

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
misscow said:
does any1 know if we get paid during the weeks we have off during xmas.

a friend of mine was askin me and i have no idea]

thanks
You should, it's called 'annual leave'

BeeCom

HSC
Vagabond said:
You should, it's called 'annual leave'
I think the OP was referring to summer interns --> no we don't get paid, we're casuals i.e. we don't accrue annual /sick leave but we earn a higher rate of pay per $.

Even then, it's not compulsory to take paid annual leave around christmas time if some one doesn't want to - it's just encouraged and 'normal' for some one to want $$ around that time.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if the EY Sydney vaccies get paid for the 3 day retreat (Weds-Fri) in the first week?
Or do they only get paid for the Mon-Tues in Week 1?
Cheers

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
DexJnr said:
Does anyone know if the EY Sydney vaccies get paid for the 3 day retreat (Weds-Fri) in the first week?
Or do they only get paid for the Mon-Tues in Week 1?
Cheers
You should be paid cause it's still "work".

HSC
Minai said:
You should be paid cause it's still "work".
more importantly, why does he care. if you've already accepted the offer its a trivial issue as if they didn't pay you would you revoke the contract. So doesn't matter.....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ifsonotso_100 said:
more importantly, why does he care. if you've already accepted the offer its a trivial issue as if they didn't pay you would you revoke the contract. So doesn't matter.....
True. Noone signs up for a summer internship for the pay packet.

Just to confirm that (AFAIK) vaccies are paid by the hour for every hour they are at work (subject to constraints depending on contract; e.g. maximum hours limit).

roadcone

HSC
BeeCom said:
I think the OP was referring to summer interns --> no we don't get paid, we're casuals i.e. we don't accrue annual /sick leave but we earn a higher rate of pay per $.

Even then, it's not compulsory to take paid annual leave around christmas time if some one doesn't want to - it's just encouraged and 'normal' for some one to want $$ around that time.
you don't need to take paid leave, but you do need to take leave of some desciption over the xmas shutdown period.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
roadcone said:
you don't need to take paid leave, but you do need to take leave of some desciption over the xmas shutdown period.
I think calling it 'leave' is misleading because as a casual, it just means there is no work/shifts. I think PR would probably call it "a break" or something to that effect.

deakin2009

HSC
here is another question for you all...because we are on an hourly rate do you think it will actually be counted hour by hour ie say we work till 7 one night will be be paid for that or do you think it will be unspoken that you just fill in 37.5 hours?

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
ifsonotso_100 said:
Relax dude, I'm just trying to work out my budget over the summer cos I have debts and the like...

the 3 days of work makes a difference.

Thanks to the guys who replied.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
deakin2009 said:
here is another question for you all...because we are on an hourly rate do you think it will actually be counted hour by hour ie say we work till 7 one night will be be paid for that or do you think it will be unspoken that you just fill in 37.5 hours?
I thought we would get overtime because normally casuals get paid by the hour? I would find it odd filling in 37.5 hours of work on my time-sheet when I had actually done say 43 hours.

HSC
BeeCom said:
Hmm you make a good point. I'm probably wrong, in hind sight - I just had the view that since normal employees accrue annual leave when they work O/T and that since we don't accrue leave at all, we won't get anything. I'm not complaining either way, I doubt we'll be expected to work much O/T to begin with and I'm thankful for the very good money they're paying as we have 0 experience.
acct vacationers get paid ot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)