Biology? Are you ready? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ok, lets start a marathon. I will start with a question based off a dotpoint.

Explain how mutations in DNA may lead to generation of new alleles.
A mutation is a change in DNA, usually involving the deleting or insertion of base sequences in DNA. Because it is a change in genetic information, the mutation can cause the the generation of new alleles. This is cause when a gene mutation provides a phenotypic advantage in the environment, through natural selection the frequency of organisms with the mutation will survive and flourish, while those without will die. This then leads to a generation of new alleles

Q. Outline stages in meiosis which result in genetic variation

danjw

HSC
Any guesses as to what the big 7-8 marker will be on this year?
I'm thinking definitely something from Maintaining or Search because it's been Blueprint for like the last two years.
Maybe malaria?

cpwincess19

HSC
Any guesses as to what the big 7-8 marker will be on this year?
I'm thinking definitely something from Maintaining or Search because it's been Blueprint for like the last two years.
Maybe malaria?
GAHHHH please don't be malaria !

brachester

HSC
The only thing i'm worried about sciences is my exam techniques. I know my stuff, just don't know where to get my marks from in a question, so i always end up losing a mark of two in every single question

E

Effekt

A mutation is a change in DNA, usually involving the deleting or insertion of base sequences in DNA. Because it is a change in genetic information, the mutation can cause the the generation of new alleles. This is cause when a gene mutation provides a phenotypic advantage in the environment, through natural selection the frequency of organisms with the mutation will survive and flourish, while those without will die. This then leads to a generation of new alleles

Q. Outline stages in meiosis which result in genetic variation
I will keep this very basic
- Random segregation
- Crossing Over
I feel i have missed some others? ..

Ah here we go.

Mutations in chromosomes and genes
Random fusion of gametes in sexual reproduction

Last edited by a moderator:

cpwincess19

HSC
The only thing i'm worried about sciences is my exam techniques. I know my stuff, just don't know where to get my marks from in a question, so i always end up losing a mark of two in every single question
Yeah that sucks :( especially because a mark lost from each question accumulates to be like a whopping 15-20 marks ONTOP OF silly mistakes in multiple choice !

2011_

HSC
Yeah that's why I was wondering :/ because we've never been asked a question about that (well not me anyway)
& i have a theory that our year (year 12 2011) are like the guinea pigs for everything -.-
And for transgenic species - I think I might just talk about the injecting of salmon genes into strawberries , what are you guys thinking of talking about ?
They did a question on transgenic species last year I think so I doubt they would do it again.

cpwincess19

HSC
Does anyone know the best answer to this question (from the 2010 past paper) - Use an example of a named transgenic species to discuss the social and environmental impact of this technology. So say if i used the injection of salmon genes into strawberries , what would be the best way of answering it ? Thanks!

fariss

HSC
holy fuck. is it just me, or was 2010's exam ridiculously hard?
as in the 7 and 8 mark ones..

i'm so put off for tomorrow now..

cpwincess19

HSC
holy fuck. is it just me, or was 2010's exam ridiculously hard?
as in the 7 and 8 mark ones..

i'm so put off for tomorrow now..
Nah last years 7 marker on evolution is pretty good , my opinion .

HSC
Describe changes in the composition of blood as it moves around significant parts of the body

If that's asked tomorrow, i'll just snort pencil sharpening and pretend to have fainted

memo15

HSC
lolll uhmm ok the main parts are:
Lungs: oxygen levels are low when blood enters and CO2 levels are high, glucose levels high in glucose
Body (in general) : high in Oxygen ;low in CO2 high in glucose and low in urea
Intestines: Small- low in glucose, amino acids and fats (products of digestion) blood leaving contains higher levels of these, high in CO2 and glucose but low in Oxygen
Large: Water levels are higher and when it leaves less water in blood (reabsorption) and the same as small intestines for glucose and oxygwen
Liver: High in glucose low in urea blood leaving is low in glucose and high in urea

memo15

HSC
next qs uhmm movement of substances in xylem and phloem >.<

uirate

HSC
explain why the processes of diffusion and osmosis are inadequate in removing dissolved nitrogenous wastes in some organisms.. no fucking idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)