Biology state ranker's mark (1 Viewer)

anonhello

HSC
What was the overall scaled mark for the first state ranker?
Also was this years bio exam considered easier than previous years?

J18134

HSC
This years Bio's paper was so hard because it was so easy. The really chunky dot points that would have differentiated the state a lot more such as cloning or transgenic processes, B and T Cell intereactions (theres a lot more but not having looked at the course since the exam these are the first two that stood out as i remember studying them very well) were not asked.

RishBonjour

HSC
This years Bio's paper was so hard because it was so easy. The really chunky dot points that would have differentiated the state a lot more such as cloning or transgenic processes, B and T Cell intereactions (theres a lot more but not having looked at the course since the exam these are the first two that stood out as i remember studying them very well) were not asked.
the test was fair, it wasn't that easy. you should be prepared for everything, not just the core parts of the syllabus. Having said that, i thought the test was more on applying your knowledge + experiments, rather than simply rewriting memorised points.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
the test was fair, it wasn't that easy. you should be prepared for everything, not just the core parts of the syllabus. Having said that, i thought the test was more on applying your knowledge + experiments, rather than simply rewriting memorised points.
it been like that the last two years.

And a little in 2010 but that was pretty rudimentary stuff.

J18134

HSC
Oh im not saying that was the only part I prepared. I still did very well in bio. I just think the paper as a whole was too simplistic. I know of a few teachers at top schools who echoed this sentiment of mine. I think it may have caught out some of the top candidates.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Top candidates shouldn't have been caught out by anything :)

What do you think 20th in the state's mark was about if 1st was 98?

Bec Johnston

HSC
Apparently they were really fussy when marking. Maybe because many found it easier than past years.

ismeta

HSC
My friend got 96 for bio and came =20th, although her exam mark was 97. Apparently because she was equal first, the other girl's mark, which was lower, dragged down the internal.

swimfast

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree, nothing in the paper was very complex conceptually, it was simply a matter of remembering all the little details of the content - something which, luckily, I am very good at :p

swimfast

HSC
Uni Grad
My friend got 96 for bio and came =20th, although her exam mark was 97. Apparently because she was equal first, the other girl's mark, which was lower, dragged down the internal.
This is interesting - I also came equal first at my school, but my teacher explained that scaling would be better if we put in only one first place. As I was slightly ahead at the 5th decimal point, I was entered as first. The girl who was put in second came 8th in the state, so I think it worked out well for everyone :)

J18134

HSC
I agree, nothing in the paper was very complex conceptually, it was simply a matter of remembering all the little details of the content - something which, luckily, I am very good at :p
Yeah that what I was trying to get at, although I said it very poorly. The most complex stuff wasnt asked which was a disadvantage to the top students and beneficial to not top students but decent students.

But congrats on first in the state. Huge accomplishment.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
This is interesting - I also came equal first at my school, but my teacher explained that scaling would be better if we put in only one first place. As I was slightly ahead at the 5th decimal point, I was entered as first. The girl who was put in second came 8th in the state, so I think it worked out well for everyone :)
Yep, if you were put in as equal first you wouldn't have gotten 1st in the state tbh. You would have probably been pulled down by the other person to 2nd or 3rd.

Congrats btw :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, if you were put in as equal first you wouldn't have gotten 1st in the state tbh. You would have probably been pulled down by the other person to 2nd or 3rd.

Congrats btw :)
Agreed, but the second state rank would've been pulled up to something like 5th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)