Blade Runner + Frankenstein: What are Values & Themes? (1 Viewer)

DarlinJayne

HSC
I'm having trouble distinguising between the values and the themes of each text. How would people define 'values' and how would you define 'themes'?

Am I right in thinking Values are what the author is trying to put forward i.e. the authors values not the characters? And themes are just basic existences e.g. violence, judgement etc.

Are there any values in the texts aparts from:

Frankenstein:

§ Corruption of humanity
§ Human Identity (what does it mean to be human?)
§ Power of Literature
§ Absence of Religion
§ Role of Women
§ Relationships
Blade Runner:

§ Human Identity (what does it mean to be human?)
§ Is human life expendable?
§ Corruption of humanity
Can anyone give my any clue as to what values are and what themes are, relative to each other?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Uhhh...
The Hubris of Victor Frankenstein (lol my memory is so bad you've probably got it up there just reworded differently)
Man playing God
The Sublime
Nature
Something else I'm too tired to think of. Good luck!

bouncing

HSC
you totally forgot science!
well its partially linked to nature but more how has science destroyed nature (sorry im not even sure if this is a VALUE) i forgot what the definition of it was - but im pretty sure that it links to both contexts of the composers

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Values for Frankenstein include promoting the value of Nature + Life (Romanticism) over that of Science and Reason (Enlightenment). Shelley really tries to drill that home. If you notice, whenever Frankenstein is being stupid, he's alone and separate from nature. He also always finds sanctuary in it. (as does the creature)

bouncing

HSC
hmm, can anyone actually differentiate between values andthemese?

like the shared theme in frankenst/br is the fact that man plays the role of god.
but the value shared by both compsoers is that man is to ambitious? leading to theri downfall, hubris etc?

nwo im confused.:confused:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Value = the opinion of the composer on a subject of morality. Theme = what is being put across in a particular way.

For example: Mary Shelley puts forward the theme that knowledge is dangerous. Through the same message, she implies the value that life should be more important, compared to cold reason. (Romanticism vs. Enlightenment as I've posted before)

like the shared theme in frankenst/br is the fact that man plays the role of god.
but the value shared by both compsoers is that man is to ambitious? leading to theri downfall, hubris etc?
I agree entirely on the theme. I think the value is that man must exercise some form of restraint and foresight in their approach of science or dangerous knowledge.

Feel free to call me on that.

LittleTedxox

HSC
hmm im doing an assignment where i have 2 visually represent ONE theme in frankenstein and blade runner and compare/contrast them. Also i have 2 tlk bout the context. Any1 got any ideas?? i'm having a bit of trouble with the compare and contrast part

brendroid

HSC
Compare and contrast.

Take one theme that's the same in both and compare them. Then contrast how they've been displayed and explored differently in each.

eg: importance of nature. What is there to talk about the Romantic theme of nature in Frankenstein? What about in Blade Runner? Compare how the texts approach that theme and then contrast them.

LittleTedxox

HSC
ive decided to go with the technology and science theme...but im having trouble visually representing ideas of technology within the two texts. im all good now with the context, i jst can't relate it back to the actual text
Thnx 4 ur help :)

brendroid

HSC
There are wonderful sites to get screenshots. You need to visually represent it? Do it literally. Represent what you're talking about with pictures :)

purple025536

HSC
ironically I just googled this looking for advice, but I still think i may be able to help you.
when looking at what is valued, you need to look at both what is valued at the time of the texts and what is valued within the texts..
for example, whilst religious beliefs were dominant in moral decision making during the time of Mary Shelley, she has neglected to use moral reasoning within Frankenstein and has replaced it with scientific knowledge and the power that comes with this knowledge.
Victor himself values his scientific ability, just as Tyrell does in Blade Runner.
Yet key themes of the play involve the relationships or lack of relationships in which both of them have.
(okay im going to stop now, I'm actually in the middle of writing my essay, no this will not be in it :L)

GravezDigger

HSC
Perhaps you could consider the loss of connection with humanity's natural origins and our increasing investment into technology and scientific advancement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)