"Board of Studies lashed over HSC" and other stories (1 Viewer)

we0426

Banned
HSC
I would disagree and when pilot through the judging process, it wasn't used. They stated it is the minimum standard they will acknowledge as a student having completed the course. When asked was it the minimal acceptable standard, the answer was no.

This may be due to different people from BOS giving the training.

I will restate BOS doesn't work in %. It is as bad as saying ATAR or UAI are %.

Which is where it is your schools responsibility to explain beforehand what the bands mean and state they aren't going to mean a good UAI.

Education is the answer, not the system in this case.

I will repeat again a MEAN or a MEDIAN by themselves or together are meaningless. It is something I have been stating about a lot of school reports for years. You need a S.D. with a mean to make it have any meaning.

YES U ARE RIGHT ..ONE OF MY TEACHERS TOLD US THAT ..JUST BEACUSE U GET A BAND 5 IN MTHS..ITS NOT GONA MEAN THAT THEY GONA USE UR BAND 5 MARK EXAMPLE 86..TO CALCULATE UR UAI..THEY ARE GONA USE..UR RAW MARK TO CALCULATE UR MARK..M I RIGHT..OR IS SHE WRONG..??????

HAHAHHAAA..SO IW WELL BE PRETTY STUPED TELLING THEY GOT A BAND FIVE IN MATHS THEN USING A RAW MARK OF 71 TO CALCULATE THIER ATAR..WHAT A BURN JOB...:angry:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I would disagree and when pilot through the judging process, it wasn't used. They stated it is the minimum standard they will acknowledge as a student having completed the course. When asked was it the minimal acceptable standard, the answer was no.

This may be due to different people from BOS giving the training.
When I did the training EVERYONE for all subjects were there - as were the SC and we were given the phrase 'minimum acceptable standard' all day.

It was also used by the BOSLO who came to our school last year and the different one the year before to explain the system - in fact every time I have spoken to anyone from the BOS they have used that terminology.

It was in the documents that we got in 2000 and 2001 to explain the changes to the system as well.

I have done judging, and will be doing it again this year, after a break of a couple of years.

I have a number of colleagues who work at the BOS and they use the term, my principal uses the term when explaining it to Year 12 and their parents (and he, our deputy and director of studies have been to a number of courses on the HSC and what the terms etc mean and they are always having 'minimum acceptable standard' used.)
I don't know what you training in teaching is but mine is based on nearly 30 years of experience and having been teaching this HSC since its inception.

This is from 2000
Setting standards for the New HSC - Board of Studies NSW

NB 'minimum standard expected' is used to describe the difference between Bands 1 and 2.

Even the Performance Descriptor Bands make it clear:

English (Standard) 2 unit (15130) - Board of Studies NSW

Look at the description of Band 1 'A mark in this band indicates that the student has achieved below the minimum standard expected.'

I must admit that the term 'acceptable' seems to have replaced 'expected' but the definition is clear - there is a minimum standard and it is in the documents and the Performance Bands themselves.

helper

HSC
N/A
Minimum standard expected is different to minimum acceptable standard. Yes that terminology was used. It has a different meaning.

One is saying that it is acceptable to reach that standard, the other is stating that you should be at least able to reach this standard by sitting in the classroom but makes no judgement of the appropriatness of the standard.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Plus if we don't get our marks back we will not gain a sense of belonging

Mathman26

HSC
N/A
A mark of 82% doesn't mean that you beat 82% of the state (an ATAR of 82 means top 82% of the state).

A mark of 82 means that the judges believe that the responses of say 60 raw match the Performance Descriptor Bands for 80 so marks between that 60 and say 84 (the imaginery cut-off for Band 6) have to be squeezed into the range 80 and 89.

Also getting 82% would say to you and your family that you know 80% of the work rather than knowing only 60%.

I do hope that many of you will demand your raw marks so that the BOS starts to realise that this whole aligning thing is simply a manipulation of results to make them feel that they are doing well.
i wouldnt expect a judg to be sayin stuff like this.

Mathman26

HSC
N/A
ey lazarus cud u estimate the raw band cut offs from hugh's raw marks now/

Cloesd

HSC
YES U ARE RIGHT ..ONE OF MY TEACHERS TOLD US THAT ..JUST BEACUSE U GET A BAND 5 IN MTHS..ITS NOT GONA MEAN THAT THEY GONA USE UR BAND 5 MARK EXAMPLE 86..TO CALCULATE UR UAI..THEY ARE GONA USE..UR RAW MARK TO CALCULATE UR MARK..M I RIGHT..OR IS SHE WRONG..??????

HAHAHHAAA..SO IW WELL BE PRETTY STUPED TELLING THEY GOT A BAND FIVE IN MATHS THEN USING A RAW MARK OF 71 TO CALCULATE THIER ATAR..WHAT A BURN JOB...:angry:
Wait so they use raw marks to calculate Atar. Doesn't sound right. Im pretty sure they scale and separately align the marks. Scaled marks contribute to atar, alligned marks are used to determine bandz

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
nah they dont use raw marks to calculate ATAR.
http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/atar/scaling-process.shtml:
The Board of Studies provides students with a profile of marks that indicate how they have performed in their courses in relation to course performance standards. Both the Board’s marks and the ATARs are derived from raw examination marks and moderated school assessments.

Given the choice available, a student’s rank in different courses will not necessarily have the same meaning, as a good rank is more difficult to obtain when the student is competing against students of high academic ability. Because of the lack of comparability, students’ raw marks are scaled before they are added to give the aggregates from which the ATARs are determined.
Yes, they do use your raw marks, not your BOS aligned marks, and then UAC scales them separately.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yup, i've seen lazarus say MANY times, that they use the raw marks for UAI/ATAR.

It's far more accurate...
so..theoretically, two people can do exactly the same subjects and have exactly the same marks but one person could get a higher UAI/ATAR.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Re: "Board of Studies lashed over HSC", "HSC marks out of the dark"

Sure it would be interesting to know the raw marks, but at the end of the day, does it matter? By the time you finish HSC, you would be out having fun - and even when the results come out, the scaled marks are good enough. Also when you hit Uni, you will be very unlikely to be talking about HSC marks anyway.

kat_6

HSC

Sure it would be interesting to know the raw marks, but at the end of the day, does it matter? By the time you finish HSC, you would be out having fun - and even when the results come out, the scaled marks are good enough. Also when you hit Uni, you will be very unlikely to be talking about HSC marks anyway.
:bat:

00iCon

HSC
My maths teacher said they'll give you the separate BANDS for each subject as well as you ATAR using 2 different organisations (cbf knowing their names)

lcosta-2420

HSC

I hope this will see an end to aligning with all students automatically getting their raw marks. It would be more honest for kids who got 18% to be told that then told they got 50% due to aligning.
study more so you dont get 18% and have to be told you got 50%, theres not point lying to the kids is there, your just setting them up to fail...

ilovepink12321

HSC

sorry, i'm a little confused. do they use your aligned marks in accordance with your school marks to get your final mark for that subject? or do they use your raw marks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)