Boat People (1 Viewer)

prof

HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Don't take things so personally please.
This is a very personal topic.

I was trying to make a point. Think of it this way. In singapore it's a death offence to chew gum or something. How many of you knew that.
well your point seems to be very unclear. first you were talking of language barriers. then you talked of common ideologies among minority ethnic groups. now your talking about simply being informed of another country's intricate laws.
obviously the aid agencies i was talking of can help out here.

Now imagine you illegally entered that country, had no info on any of it's laws or ways and you bought some gum with you and were caught.
most asylum seekers that are held in detention centres had no means of entering the country "legally". it is not their fault, but rather the failure of the system. Now i understand even IF the system worked asylum seekers from certain "rogue" (and i use the term loosely) nations would still be unable to follow procedure in their haste to seek refuge. But even so that really is NO justification for mandatory detention<minimal security prison> and *prolonged* processing.

and thanks erin ;) that means a lot

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by prof
i do not believe it says anywhere in the bible, or even implies, that homosexuality is wrong and should be forbidden.
WHAT ABOUT TEH STORY OF SODOMY AND GEMMORAH?

GOD BLOWS UP THE WHOLE CITY OF NAGASAKI OR WHATEVAR BECAUSE A WHOLE LOT OF SWEATTY MEN FROM NAGASAKI WERE HOMOSEXUALS!!1

THEN SODOM'S WIFE TRYS TO GET A LOOK AT THE MANSEX ACTION AND GOD TURNS HER INTO A PILLAR OF SALT!1

prof

HSC
what about the part in the bible where it says something like "god made every man [and woman] in his own image".

prof

HSC
Originally posted by George W. Bush
what are you saying?
God's a bit of a faeryboy?
i'm saying god made every man and woman in his image, according to christianity, and its bible...quite clear i thought

any that relates to
i do not believe it says anywhere in the bible, or even implies, that homosexuality is wrong and should be forbidden.
how? I mean, i could just say OMG MY DILDO IS HAVING A STIFFY!!!. But most people would assume I meant something in the context of the thread.

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
what about the part in the bible where it says something like "god made every man [and woman] in his own image".
SO THEN I CAN KILL PEOPLE AND BECAUSE I'M IN GOD'S IMAGE IT'S OK!!1

RELIGIONS ISNT' THAT BAD AFTAR ALL :ninja:

prof

HSC
Originally posted by teh winnar!
SO THEN I CAN KILL PEOPLE AND BECAUSE I'M IN GOD'S IMAGE IT'S OK!!1
no because that is in your control. your sexual preference however is not.

we're off topic anyway.

stamos

sellout
HSC
yeah back to overcrowded detention facilites

do you reckon that throwing money at the problem (ie the new budget) will help matters at all?

i think that if you just put more resources into processing applications faster the situation can be improved dramatically

while it isn't ideal to have people in these facilities, if applications are processed in one or two months rather than one or two years, it would be a reasonable system

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
no because that is in your control.
What if you are enraged and it becomes a fight or flight situation. Your body doesn't have enough blood and oxygen to strengthen the muscles and allow reasonable judgement at the same time.

Egg_666

bah amanda vanstone on enough rope

quote "we send the wrong message to PEOPLE SMUGGLERS... they think that they can just drop people here"

PEOPLE SMUGGLERS dont give a shit if the people get accepted or not... they just get their money and fuck the hell off...

just wanted to express my anger

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
What you don't realise is, and this is rarely in the media cause it isn't as likely to get a reaction, is the fact that the Tampa was in international waters when it was spotted. It was assisted by the Norweign ship and the captain tried to take the people back to Indonesia but they protested.

They refused to be put safely ashore and were not in our waters or our responsibility. They put themselves in their own precarious position.

The media continually ignores the fact that the blame should lay on the boat people who protested against Indonesian shores, and the people smugglers.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Enlightened_One - that position is full of half-truths, misinformation, and outright falsehoods. It is exactly the kind of line that Howard tried to run, and it is fundamentally flawed. I can list out the actual facts, if you are interested.

santaslayer

HSC
LoLz CM_Tutor, I like your style of language, it's pretty creative. :p

"that position is full of half-truths, misinformation, and outright falsehoods"- simply put, he means what Enlightened_One is saying is full of crap. :p :p
(As his siggy suggests anyway :p)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Don't blame me, I read it in the Legal Studies Text book. Go argue with the text book if you want, I found it interesting.

Search around if you want, I've a strange feeling I've heard something like that a few years ago in a paper, but then it was never mentioned again.

I'm fairly certain it's true. If you reckon it's not, take it up with Heinemann, I think you'll find they're pretty unbiased.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
send the boats back to where they came from..

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
LoLz CM_Tutor, I like your style of language, it's pretty creative. :p

"that position is full of half-truths, misinformation, and outright falsehoods"- simply put, he means what Enlightened_One is saying is full of crap. :p :p
(As his siggy suggests anyway :p)
Santaslayer, I was not making any comment about Enlightened_One himself / herself, I was commented on her statement.

BTW, I meant that the statement had each of those elements:

For example:

"What you don't realise is, and this is rarely in the media cause it isn't as likely to get a reaction, is the fact that the Tampa was in international waters when it was spotted."

This is a half-truth designed to misinform. Leaving aside the fact that the Tampa was the Norwegian ship, the important point here is that the rescue was made by the Tampa at the request of Australian authorities.

"It was assisted by the Norweign ship and the captain tried to take the people back to Indonesia but they protested."

Again, misinformed half truth. They requested to be taken to Christmas Island. They did not (as was claimed by the Howard government) threaten to take over the ship. Captain Rinan thought it prudent to agree to this request, given that Christmas Island was the nearest port and that the rescue had been requested by Australian authorities.

"They refused to be put safely ashore and were not in our waters or our responsibility."

Not our resposibility is an outright falsehood.

"They put themselves in their own precarious position."

Possibly true, but what does that matter? Would we be better off to let them sink and drown? That would not be exactly enlightened behaviour on our part, would it - especially since we received an SOS.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Letting them dorwn would have saved time, trouble and money. And noone would have known.

They should have been returned to the port they left, or atleast to where the Norweign ship was heading, which I assume was Indonesia, which I believe is where the Tampa came from.

If you want the page refernce here it is. Page 352, second last paragraph that begins: "On the 25th of August"

This is kind of hypocritical. You comlain for people to get evidence, but then you have a whinge when someone comes with evidence you don't like.

gaybasher

Banned
ummmm i am totally against boat people, like just because your country sux you are going to come over to my country and pollute it with your filthy lifestyle and culture?

and then when we are kind enuff to put these people in detention they burn it down etc...why would we want people like that in our country .....Australia is sh!+ enuff as it is.

Even though i dont like iraqies pretty much..since we just invad3ed there country and stuffed them up...they have a right to come here and leach off us. Im racist but im fair :) but as for other refugees or watever.............nah i dont want them here.. the navy should torpedo there vessels on site :) detention centre is a waste of our taxes as it is :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)