Boat People (1 Viewer)

Tarni1

HSC
*Katie* said:
I agree with AGB
We should turn there little boats and send them back to where they came from..or I could go with teh sinking idea i guess
Why should they be let in ahead of everyone else, they'll just become a burden to our society and they will never learn to speak english. Don't get me wrong i'm all for multiculturalism and that but I think people should at least make an effort to learn our language at least!
you say you are 'all for multiculturalism' - well it does not sound like it! I hate the way Australians boast about multiculturalism, yet are totally unacepting of other cultures. Katie, I suggest you try to be more empathetic - imagine living in a war torn country, having your family scrape enough money to buy a place on a small leaky boat, not having time to say goodbye...on the way people die around you, and you constantly fear for your life. If that isn't enough, the navy picks you up and you are locked in a detention centre for years, worrying about your family and future. These detention centres mentally affect all who are locked up - they are subject to feelings of helplessness, and loneliness among many other feelings.
Your comments/opinions are completely ignorant ones. Try and see it from their perspective. Educate yourself - for example, Australia was (is) spending millions and millions of dollars a year to keep one detention centre open, which held ONE detainee for a long period of time ... is that logic? Refugees are no threat to Australia - it's opinions such as yours which are a threat to a fair and tolerant nation

SGS05

HSC
Tarni1 said:
you say you are 'all for multiculturalism' - well it does not sound like it! I hate the way Australians boast about multiculturalism, yet are totally unacepting of other cultures. Katie, I suggest you try to be more empathetic - imagine living in a war torn country, having your family scrape enough money to buy a place on a small leaky boat, not having time to say goodbye...on the way people die around you, and you constantly fear for your life. If that isn't enough, the navy picks you up and you are locked in a detention centre for years, worrying about your family and future. These detention centres mentally affect all who are locked up - they are subject to feelings of helplessness, and loneliness among many other feelings.
Your comments/opinions are completely ignorant ones. Try and see it from their perspective. Educate yourself - for example, Australia was (is) spending millions and millions of dollars a year to keep one detention centre open, which held ONE detainee for a long period of time ... is that logic? Refugees are no threat to Australia - it's opinions such as yours which are a threat to a fair and tolerant nation
I havent read the however many pages (11 i think) this thread has so I'm sorry if i repeat some people. Do you really think it would be benificial to have a country which just accept refugeees from everywhere? They don't have an education so in the end, they'll just end up on government welfare. How is that good for Australia? I'm all for multiculturalism, I'm not corcasian but I think Australia should only accept immigrants which will benifit Australia economically and socially.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
SGS05 said:
I havent read the however many pages (11 i think) this thread has so I'm sorry if i repeat some people. Do you really think it would be benificial to have a country which just accept refugeees from everywhere? They don't have an education so in the end, they'll just end up on government welfare. How is that good for Australia? I'm all for multiculturalism, I'm not corcasian but I think Australia should only accept immigrants which will benifit Australia economically and socially.
Even John Howard has said that Australian, as a developed nation, should take its 'fair share' in order to fulfill our humanitarian obligations. Whether we like it or not we are a part of the world and we have a responsibility to accept genuine refugees for humanitarian purposes. And for a developed nation Australia doesn't take many. I would hope that Australian doesn't just take people because they are wealthy. I would hope that Australia does take genuine refugees who are in need. I would hope Australia doesnt practice refoulement and send people back to the nation in which they will die in breach of the Refugee Convention.

Last edited:

SGS05

HSC
erawamai said:
Even John Howard has said that Australian, as a developed nation, should take its 'fair share' in order to fulfill our humanitarian obligations. Whether we like it or not we are a part of the world and we have a responsibility to accept genuine refugees for humanitarian purposes. And for a developed nation Australia doesn't take many.
Well we should, as a developed nation, fullfil our obligations, but instead of taking in refugees, it would be better to develop other countries so that they're standard of living is at lesat bearable. Having them over here would only make Australia a worse place to live in.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
SGS05 said:
Well we should, as a developed nation, fullfil our obligations, but instead of taking in refugees, it would be better to develop other countries so that they're standard of living is at lesat bearable. Having them over here would only make Australia a worse place to live in.
So what exactly do the genuine refugees do while the world improved conditions in the 3rd world?

You have to understand that people who are genuine refugees are not refugees simply because the nation they live in is not nice. Refugee status has nothing to do with standard of living.

SGS05

HSC
erawamai said:
So what exactly do the genuine refugees do while the world improved conditions in the 3rd world?

You have to understand that people who are genuine refugees are not refugees simply because the nation they live in is not nice. Refugee status has nothing to do with standard of living.
Say if it was during war, mabye we can set up refugee camps and help them resettle after the war is over. Im not saying bar Australia from all immigrants but we should accept the ones who are benificial to our society, like skilled labourers and professionals. Do you really want Australia to turn into country where there is clear division between the refugees, who are living in the slums and the rest of us? It would only cause the same problems as Britain and its class of poverty stricken second generation non corcasians, like the 4 people who lauched the london bombings

Last edited:

Tarni1

HSC
QUOTE=erawamai]So what exactly do the genuine refugees do while the world improved conditions in the 3rd world?[

You have to understand that people who are genuine refugees are not refugees simply because the nation they live in is not nice. Refugee status has nothing to do with standard of living.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly right. A lot of the time it's due to personal situations - sometimes involving which political ideology they support, and may be threatened with violence etc. We need to show empathy and share our freedom with others of this world. I believe our nation is becoming increasingly xenophobic - with the 'terrorism laws' etc - if Australia is not careful, it will go back to the white australia policy

Generator

HSC
N/A
Don't romanticise the past, because it achieves nothing.

Jiga

We need to show empathy and share our freedom with others of this world. I believe our nation is becoming increasingly xenophobic - with the 'terrorism laws' etc - if Australia is not careful, it will go back to the white australia policy
Firstly, Australia does show empathy and does share its freedom with others of this world! Dont distort the facts here, there are correct avenues of entering this country, and doing so via a boat isnt one of them. This isnt only illegal and stupid (considering the boats they go on) its a substantial security risk to Australia.....terroritsts could be on board, or more concerning, potentially sick indiviuduals may be on boad along with animals suffering from contagious diseases.....ie Bird Flu (If you watched 60mins yesterday, perfect eg). Furthermore, Australia does keep a certain amount of these boat people, so I think empathy is being showed. And on top of this all, Australia is pumping billions of dollars into their home countries :rolleyes:

And your reference to the white Australia policy is laughable, considering a large portion of non-white inidividuals live in Australia now. The issue at hand isnt what nationality they are, its how they are entering our nation. They avoid the usual screening process through immigration beacuse no doubt alot of them are undesirable - and as someone mentioned previously, the process invovles choosing people who will be beneficial to society, not become bums. I will however say that in some circumstances our immigration department is ruthless, I remember watching this program about immigration and they deported some guy because he had a visa that did not let him work....like come on, if the guys working, good on him, at least he isnt buming off the government! (The argument against this may be that hes taking a job away from an Aussie, well I disagree, if a guy who barely speaks english can get a job why cant someone living in the slums find a job- because ther bludges, having 5 kids and blugding off the govt) Just my opinion on that matter.

BTW, dont get me wrong, Im aware that alot of them have faced harships etc, but for our own security 'you have to be cruel to be kind'. Besides, Australia isnt the only nation in the pacific..maybe the only one that easily accessible by boat, but thats about it :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
Firstly, Australia does show empathy and does share its freedom with others of this world! Dont distort the facts here, there are correct avenues of entering this country, and doing so via a boat isnt one of them. This isnt only illegal and stupid (considering the boats they go on) its a substantial security risk to Australia.....terroritsts could be on board, or more concerning, potentially sick indiviuduals may be on boad along with animals suffering from contagious diseases.....ie Bird Flu (If you watched 60mins yesterday, perfect eg). Furthermore, Australia does keep a certain amount of these boat people, so I think empathy is being showed. And on top of this all, Australia is pumping billions of dollars into their home countries :rolleyes:
Heh pot, kettle, black.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Firstly, Australia does show empathy and does share its freedom with others of this world! Dont distort the facts here, there are correct avenues of entering this country, and doing so via a boat isnt one of them.
Do you recongise that Australia has a duty to accept legitimate refugees? OR should they be turned away and left to die in the middle of the ocean?

go to schoolies said:
This isnt only illegal and stupid (considering the boats they go on) its a substantial security risk to Australia.....terroritsts could be on board, or more concerning, potentially sick indiviuduals may be on boad along with animals suffering from contagious diseases.....ie Bird Flu (If you watched 60mins yesterday, perfect eg).
Thats right! Terrorists! :rolleyes:

Do you really think that people who are legitimate refugees are going to bomb the nation which accepts them? Terrorists have more chance of coming through Syndey airport than on sinking boats.

Furthermore, Australia does keep a certain amount of these boat people, so I think empathy is being showed. And on top of this all, Australia is pumping billions of dollars into their home countries :rolleyes:
Australia has done all it can in order to make sure that those boat people do not get anywhere near Australia and hence cannot exercise their rights under the Refugee convention.

Also your last statement is terribly incorrect. Australia spends a disprorportionate amount on housing these people as part of the 'pacific solution' at significant cost to the Australian tax payer in order to satisfy people like you.

The amount of money given by Australia to the UNHCR in order to decrease the flow of refugees to nations such as Australia is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the amount of money spent on the pacfic solution and detention centre.

Unrealised by people like you IT IS IN THE INTEREST OF THE GOVERNMENT that there are refugees so that they can send warships to the northern territory in order to turn back sinking boats (again at massive taxpayer expense) so as to satisfy you.

As for 'pumping billions of dollars' into these nations? Which ones? As Australia hardly ever gives aid free of charge. Most of it is tied and conditional loans that must be paid back with interest.

Last edited:

Jiga

Thats right! Terrorists! Do you really think that people who are legitimate refugees are going to bomb the nation which accepts them? Terrorists have more chance of coming through Syndey airport than on sinking boats.
Its an example. Yet you avoid the other issue involved, the carrying of diseases......this is a very real threat and I dont think Australian lives should be placed at risk so that we can be 'nice' and show empathy :rolleyes:.

Australia has done all it can in order to make sure that those boat people do not get anywhere near Australia and hence cannot exercise their rights under the Refugee convention.
As per my above statement, good on them. I suppose we should let Indonesians rape our seas of fish to because they need some help?While where at it, let em bring their disease infested animals into our waters and land. 60 Minutes had quite an interesting piece yesterday, sensationlised yes, but the basic impression was quite shocking.

Unrealised by people like you IT IS IN THE INTEREST OF THE GOVERNMENT that there are refugees so that they can send warships to the northern territory in order to turn back sinking boats (again at massive taxpayer expense) so as to satisfy you.
Its in their interests? Explain. I believe at far great tax payers expense will be having to deal with an outbreak of disease or having to pay welfare to the generations of non-english speaking/un-skilled "Australians" :rolleyes:

Its funny to, a couple of years ago we tried offloading some reugees to other countries to be nice, other developed nations like NZ werent in to bug of a rush to take alot.............I wander why!

Last edited by a moderator:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Its an example. Yet you avoid the other issue involved, the carrying of diseases......this is a very real threat and I dont think Australian lives should be placed at risk so that we can be 'nice' and show empathy :rolleyes:.
I believe any number of people who come through Sydney airport from various European and Asian nations around the world have just as good of a chance of having birdflu as those who come here on boats.

Are you trying to tell me that there is a higher chance that people, due to their method of arrival, have a greater chance of birdflu?

As per my above statement, good on them. I suppose we should let Indonesians rape our seas of fish to because they need some help?While where at it, let em bring their disease infested animals into our waters and land. 60 Minutes had quite an interesting piece yesterday, sensationlised yes, but the basic impression was quite shocking.
No shit sensationalised. Could you be anymore of a media whore? Are you able to exercise your own judgment or do you just think what 60mins wonderfully well researched 15 min presentation is totally and utterly right and totally balanced and totally interested in telling you the truth rather than making you shit scared and making sure you watch their show next week so the advertisers and channel 9 can make more money.

Its in their interests? Explain. I believe at far great tax payers expense will be having to deal with an outbreak of disease or having to pay welfare to the generations of non-english speaking/un-skilled "Australians" :rolleyes:
The greatest numbre of welfare depedants are not immigrants :) Most of them are older people and the long term unemployed. Those who do not have a good grasp of english tend to work in unskilled low paid employment and are not a burden on the economy.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
Ah, what do you think the processing of refugees involves?

Ignoring the disease dimension for the tasteless diversion that it is (however serious it may be, in this instance it's nothing more than a diversion)... Is the other really that scary? Are we truly under threat?

Never mind the fact that anglo-saxons who consider themselves to be disenfranchised are the most likely to end stuck in the cycle of welfare and poverty.

Jiga

Are you trying to tell me that there is a higher chance that people, due to their method of arrival, have a greater chance of birdflu?
Yes I am.

Seeings as though they are poor etc, their living conditions in their departure destinations wouldnt have been exactly hygenic. In other words, they more than likley lives in areas that were virtual breeding grounds for disease.

As for people coming through airports with disease, at least their is some sought of a screening process, if someones coughing their lungs out that might raise the attention of authorities. And at least these people wont have (for the most part) live animals who carry diseases with them (Because boat people need someone to survive on.....chicken....bird flu)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Yes I am.

Seeings as though they are poor etc, their living conditions in their departure destinations wouldnt have been exactly hygenic. In other words, they more than likley lives in areas that were virtual breeding grounds for disease.
The greatest number of deaths from birdflu have been on mainland china and Hong Kong. There have also been birdflu outbreaks in Eastern Europe. Thousands of people from these countries come to Australia through Customs every week and you are worried about boat people?

The government has an interest in making sure that people like you are shit scared of boat people. The government spends much more money on being tough on boat people than actually on attempting to prevent refugees. It is in the interest of the government to talk up the risk of boat people.

For example the government in 2001 created a non existent threat in 2001 when around 300 legit refugees tried to get to Australia. They then solved it at $$$$$$$$$$$ cost to the Australian taxpayer.

Last edited:

Jiga

Ah, what do you think the processing of refugees involves?[/QUOTE[

Disease is not a diversion at all. Illegal refugees come to Australia with the intetion of not being caught...how many might reach land and converge within the general populous? And the major threat is the poultry they have on board, all it takes is one animal to have a disease like Bird Flu, and a local animal coming in contact with it and then......................................................

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, 'illegal' refugees come to Australia with the intention of avoiding detection? Are you even aware as to what the term 'refugee' actually denotes?

Jiga

"A refugee is defined as a person outside of his or her country of nationality who is unable or unwilling to return because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion."

No mentioning of whether they avoid or not?

Maybe alittle extreme, the point is, they can reach Australian land and disperse. And as a I said, that is a potential threat, the main one is the food supply they bring with them.

Jiga

The government has an interest in making sure that people like you are shit scared of boat people.
Im forming my OWN opinion here, and I personally havent heard them use the excuse that they will carry things like the Bird Flu......its just common sense, they have chickens etc on board for them to survive on, and god knows what those things are carrying from diseases like Bird Flu to basic things like uninidigenous parasites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)