book advice (1 Viewer)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
So im currently trying to improve my English skills, and one way to do that is by reading.
Ive considered buying trainspotting, Forrest Gump, 1984 and Bourne Identity. Are these books any good and are there any other recommendations?

p.s i dont read much so i have no idea about what books are good etc.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Read "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" if you want something easy to encourage yourself to read more. Some other easy ones to start off with are:

Slaughterhouse 5
Animal Farm
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You have to tell us what type of books you like. If you want something general... get anything by Max Barry. His tone is what inspired me to take Extension 2 English.

It's... humourous, yet engaging - I think.

Kittikhun

HSC
If you wish to improve your English, go to the library and borrow an English grammar book first. Read that before reading anything else, though you don't have to peruse it; just skim it. At the same time, purchase a good pocket English dictionary. After you have done all that, then you could start reading, remembering to always refer to your pocket dictionary when you don't understand the meaning of a word. For books, as shawdowdude has mentioned, you have to tell us what you are into. However, looking at your subjects, I could recommend some magazines for you to read (just in case you're too pressed for time to a read an entire novel, which you will be during your study if your tiem management skills aren't really good) that will improve your English. I recommend that you read articles from 'National Geographic', 'New Scientific', and 'Scientific American' that pique your interest; there should be some that will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)