Book lists up (1 Viewer)

Jacks

HSC
Just thought I'd let you guys know that some unit book lists (for some of UWS's campuses) are already listed on the co-op website, so have a look if you're interested and see if your units are listed there! :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Dang, whats so good about Bankstown and Blacktown that they already have their lists up?

btw - for new students, its best not to buy your books until uni starts and the lecturer specifically tells you what to get. Use this as a guide.

Thanks Jacks :)

L

LaraB

New Students - Business and Law

far as book lists go - Law lists are reliable on co-op - if it says "required", buy it.
if it says "recommended", don't buy it yet - wait until your first lecture because sometimes the book isn't worth buying, rather just worth borrowing from the library.

Business students - same as above:)

if there are funny code thingos instead of names for books - its most likely a unit reader.

Whilst on the topic of unit readers - these ar ebasically books with a whole heap of other articles etc that are compiled by the uni. When you go to the co-op shop (on any campus) to buy your textbooks - make sure you check your unit outline (which you will be able to d/l soon as you're enrolled and your webct is up and running otherwise some lecturers hand em out 1st lecture) whether there is a reader coz its usually vital.

Far as books go - for a lot of units - have a look at the unit outline if it's available on webct once you've enrolled etc - some classes they expect stuff to be read for week 1 - in which case, you sohuld get the textbooks. Plus most outlines specify what books you need in what classes if you have multiple books. These are especially units that are not only 1st year core units as students who aren't new to uni will mo st likely be prepared so just helps if you are too:)

that said - a lot of units its juts purely introduction and overview the 1st class so just have a flick through the unit outline before the 1st week.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I can only see my Criminology books at the moment since Parramatta isnt up yet. Once you know which books is it a good idea to get them so that you kinda know whats going on in the first lesson?

:mad1: Dang, i need so many books this semester.
But at least I already have the 3 out of 7 books i need, and they are the most expensive :)

melsc - maybe you should hold buying books until the lecturers tell you if you absolutely need it, cos sometimes its just a waste, cos u can always borrow the books in the library

L

LaraB

melsc said:
I can only see my Criminology books at the moment since Parramatta isnt up yet. Once you know which books is it a good idea to get them so that you kinda know whats going on in the first lesson?
talk to Jonathan coz he may recall if any were useless...

that said - if it says it's a required text - BUY IT! even if you only use it for 3 out of the 13 weeks, often it's worthwhile because there are very few copies in the library and usually someone steals em around the time when they're needed...

you can always sell it 2nd hand next semester - and if its barely used, you can usually sell it for close to what you paid for it.

its worth buying em now not just so you know what's going on 1st lesson - but mainly to avoid the lines at co-op shops...

L

LaraB

ps new students - if you aren't already, before you buy your books become a CO-Op member!!! its only like, $20 or something, and gives you a lifetime membership of 10% off everything...

they'll give you a form at enrolment but if you wanna get started before then, you can just buy it at the coop shop when you buy your books:)

L

LaraB

giggles869 said:
:mad1: Dang, i need so many books this semester.
But at least I already have the 3 out of 7 books i need, and they are the most expensive :)

melsc - maybe you should hold buying books until the lecturers tell you if you absolutely need it, cos sometimes its just a waste, cos u can always borrow the books in the library
lol i dont have that many books... usually 2 per unit, maybe 3, and then 1 or 2 readers and unit outlines...

just that each one is so damn expensive! especially the law ones!

i love custom publications:) $60-90 for esentially, all the good bits from 3/4 books worth $80 each. so much less to carry and search through too

= Jennifer =

HSC
thank god i am not doing torts this semester one of the core texts is over $500!!!!! and there are two things to buy (I do not understand why they would need visual studio)

Title: Visual Studio 2005 (standard) (win) (cdrom) Retail Msa9849
Notes: Add to Basket
Author Status Availability* Price
Microsoft Sft Text On Order
Expecting Delivery Shortly $508.00
Nett Price B948013

Title: Torts (tutorial Series)
Davies & Malkin Text Available $73.99

i think there is something wrong with the co op site cause for one of my management classes it says i need to buy principals of criminal law :/

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^When I check torts it gives me (which is weird coz it gave me a different book like half an hr ago so something is up)

Title: Foundations Of Management + Webct (onekey Pack) - wtf management
Robbins Bergman Et Al Text Available $89.95 B948013

Title: Torts (tutorial Series)
Davies & Malkin Text Available $73.99 B891218

Intro books arent up, i'd like to see what they are.

L

LaraB

lol - i seriuosly doubt that $500 is meant to be there:p probly some eco one or something...

don't buy anything yet if its stuffin up:p

L

LaraB

ps - for those who haven't been to it yet - just about all the campus' lists are up now:)

L

LaraB

ugh the lists are totally stuffed

the wrong stuff comes up for pretty much all of em...

they usually have the text lists at the co-op shops so you can probly get one from there if you wanna start buying

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah when jen said $500 for torts I was like :eek: I hope there are different torts classes LOL

yeah its totally stuffing up, its giving random books for law subjects which arent even related....Dreamweaver for one lol

Would they tell you about books at Enrolment?

L

LaraB

melsc said:
Yeah when jen said $500 for torts I was like :eek: I hope there are different torts classes LOL

yeah its totally stuffing up, its giving random books for law subjects which arent even related....Dreamweaver for one lol

Would they tell you about books at Enrolment?
not necessarily.. some courses do some don't...

i'd suggest either checkin back in a few days or going by one of the co-op shops and seeing if they have their lists there yet - they have the lists posted up on the windows and/or have sheets you can borrow to look at whilst you're finding yoru books in the shop

NB - people - when going to co-op shops - make sure you check opening hours on the websit because different campuses' shops are open different days for different hours

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Score! No textbooks again, well yet anyway, it may change.

*laughs at people who have to spend $100s on books*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)