BoS Maths Trials 2018 (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
This is on tomorrow! The venue is a short walk to Town Hall station at Level 2.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
We are aware of train delays, or own crew is affected by this, so you will not miss out on the start, please don’t be a no show

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
We will likely be starting after 10am

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Imao always that one integral in question 11a rip

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
What's the CQ city campus like? I've walked passed it so many times and have always been curious.
It was actually quite a small uni, at least much smaller than I expected.
The rooms looked nice and tidy, but the floor was quite small tbh. Felt more like an office building than a Uni

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to everyone that attended on the day! Hopefully you guys got some decent practice out of some challenging and interesting questions. The papers are attached below. Please note that they have incorporated some minor feedback on the day so they may differ slightly to the hard copy you have.

Massive thanks to Carrotsticks, Paradoxica, calamebe, jjlim7 and ml125 for helping supervise on the day. Also big thanks to the staff from CQU and iStudy for helping to organise the venue.

We will begin the process of solution writing and marking in the next few weeks and will upload these in due course (before your first maths exam of course!).

In the meantime, if you want any hints/guides on specific questions or just want to discuss the paper feel free to post in this thread. Keen to hear your thoughts on both the papers. Were there any questions you particularly liked? How was the difficulty in general and in comparison to previous years (if you attempted those)?

Attachments

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
Both the papers were challenging and orginal in their own ways. Questions such as the milk one in 3u and non-uniform circular which turned into a projectile were both creative and challenging. Thanks again for an amazing day, never gonna forget being humiliated that much!!!!!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I forgot the projectile motion equations, and I knew how to do the question as well which just makes me even more sad :(

I did some of 16, like 2 parts.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Would it be right to say for the induction question, in the proving step you are required to prove its true for 2^(k+1) people.
= 2*(2^k)
=2^k + 2^k, but by assumption P1 always wins for 2^k people, hence he must win if another 2^k people are added.

Is that the correct way of doing it because I have no idea imao.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
i don't think u can make that assumption; after one turn (or rotation) for 2^k+1 player we get the exact case for 2^k player; as half of the player are removed+starting from same spot because of the fact that it is an even number.

This is very close of the content ive seen in maths competitions lol
still did shit
Yeah if we get the exact same case as 2^k players, cant we just use our assumption where we assumed that P1 always wins for (m=k) 2^k players, and hence it would be true by induction

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
:(

but how do u do q16 a) i) because it seems independent of n which doesn't make sense for me; eg if k=1; then with n=10 prob of winning is 1/10 while with n=3 it's 1/3.
what do you mean? you just replace n with k, they're just variables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)