BOS Showcase: 2005 Major Works (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Here's my (aka James/Airness') story :)

It's called "A Shed of One's Own" and it's a transformation of Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own".
James/Airness/Dreamerish- I loved your work. It is brilliant. I would try and analyse and give it feedback but I just enjoyed it so much and i have a history essay I really should be writing, so i'll do that later. If your not in the showcase, I will have lost all faith in EE2 markers.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
To Airness/Dreamerish - I've downloaded your story and I'm gonna go through it with a fine tooth comb on friday afternoon when my trials finish.:D
I've also been giving brief glances at most of the works and may I say that so many of them are breathtaking - when I started the course, I looked at the 04 samples and went "Woah, how am I gonna compete with this", and right now as I look at the works of class of 05, I'm still thinkin the same thing. I can only say congratulations and well done to you and await the end of my trials so that I may look over all the works properly.:)

EDIT:Jhakka was a naughty boy and deleted my post alongside the others so I spanked him till he put it back:)

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sweets said:
James/Airness/Dreamerish- I loved your work. It is brilliant. I would try and analyse and give it feedback but I just enjoyed it so much and i have a history essay I really should be writing, so i'll do that later. If your not in the showcase, I will have lost all faith in EE2 markers.
hahhahahahaa i love the way people refer to me now :p
Please please please, just call me James :)

Feel free to give feedback whenever you have time girl, i'm just a little astounded at the lavish praise you've just given a chauvinist work!! :rolleyes:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
hahhahahahaa i love the way people refer to me now :p
Please please please, just call me James :)

Feel free to give feedback whenever you have time girl, i'm just a little astounded at the lavish praise you've just given a chauvinist work!! :rolleyes:
As a feminist, I was initially ataken back, but you won me over!! Plus, its actually refreshing to read something different.

Why arean't I doing my history essay??

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
re: Out of Order's major work short story

Firstly, I read this yesterday so forgive me if my memory's a bit haze re any details etc. Anyway, overall I found your story to be a very engaging and enjoyable read. I took particular delight in your humour and the use of footnotes, which I found had a very Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman aura about them. The story was essentially a fun read, however to echo some other posters, I do think that you did try to pack a lot into a word count that couldn't do your story justice, perhaps was at the expense of your story. However the story was still a lovely piece of work to read - laugh out loud funny in all the right places - and definitely worth avoiding the geography homework!

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sweets said:
As a feminist, I was initially ataken back, but you won me over!! Plus, its actually refreshing to read something different.

Why arean't I doing my history essay??
Judging from your tone...Modern history - Cold War essay? :p

courtnez

HSC
re: Dreamerish/James/Airness' major work, A Shed of One's Own [link]

A Very Awesome subject, well tackled and manoevered. As a feminist (to echo Sweets here), it was very interesting to read something different - 'refreshing', even. You have presented your story clearly for the most part, and altogether it was incredibly engaging and... wonderful to read. Your RS offered some excellent insight into your story, which was fascinating to read alongside your major work.

These are just my first impressions after reading it just a couple of minutes ago -- so I might (though no promises made here) return with a proper critique later on.

A++!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Judging from your tone...Modern history - Cold War essay? :p
Close! Modern History- South Africa... *sigh* It's only 20%, which is only really 10%, which isn't THAT much of my mark. If only I hadn't said that about every other assessment :rolleyes:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I think given the recent calamity that has been existing in this thread, that it would be most appropriate to show appreciation to the mods who have helped clean it up and curtail certain persons. Thanks Jhakka and Bubz!:)

courtnez

HSC
Here, here. Thanks mods! You rock the socks of many :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
I am a measly EE1 student who chickened out of EE2 halfway through term 2 :). Today I wandered into this unchartered territory to see for myself what it was that I had missed.
So I opened up the last page of the showcase and clicked on the first hyperlink (A Shed of One's Own).
Whoever wrote it - you were brilliant. I'm no critical responder, but I loved it! Very fluent and very quick and very....visual. Almost like a verbal camera. On three levels.

I like.

So I leave, feeling envious and - stupid - for choosing maths over english. *smacks herself over her head*

Good Luck EE2'ers! You had courage... :)

[/denial mode]

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sweets said:
Close! Modern History- South Africa... *sigh* It's only 20%, which is only really 10%, which isn't THAT much of my mark. If only I hadn't said that about every other assessment :rolleyes:
hahaha don't say that! even 10% could mean a lot in the end.

I'm reading through the posted works 1 by 1 through the pages :)

1st one - SWEETS!

I've always been interested in the American Dream concept because i did American Beauty/Great Gatsby in Year 11. But i never got the chance to actually investigate that concept further in terms of contrasting popular culture, grand-narratives etc and placing that within a postmodernist framework that just completely throws every assumption into the air. So i guess you did the hard work for me.
Your mention how popular culture can appeal to a wide consumerist audience while at the same time harbouring serious philosophical notions and i found that particularly interesting because of course, as consumers, we often take things at face value but if we're consuming these products, are we not also consumign the philosophical notions behind them? So i guess in that way, it does stall or perpetuate social change ... or perhaps in the hands of the right wing, social conservatism?

Because i did short story, i can't comment much upon the critical response medium without sounding like a prat. However, i found it was straightforward in most places and this helped amplify the sophistication of your arguments and concepts. I got somewhat muddled up in places where the really techy/jargon stuff came in because 1) i'm not good with that stuff, 2) i'm currently like the walking dead.
For any improvements, i feel some of the sentences in places repeated themselves and so you might have been able to meld sentences here and there together to cut down words and make things more holistic. I'll try and find examples later. But i'm just nit-picking. Overall it's very good and you integrated your texts and everything exceptionally.

Sweets' MW is sweet :)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Thanks James :)

I pretty much agree with everything you said, I think I did end up editing a bit of the long winded stuff, but I don't have a copy of my final final product, because I lot my beautiful pen drive. Well that or its in my room somwhere under all the mess. Hopefully, the latter.

I know it could have been alot better, but i'm just too damn lazy :rolleyes:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I've read some of the poems of Black Mans.

Let me just first say that his RS rocks. It's so very very hardcore that it just simply drips with 50/50ness.

The poems i've read are also intriguing, as most poems are :p I'm just amazed how differently poetry can be written. I'm too used to Coleridgean poetry :p But recently, i read another EE2er's suite of poems where she used predominantly 1-3 word lines and i was like "you can do that? :p". But yeah, black man just showed me yet again, another way that poetry can be constructed...very interesting indeedy! :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
glycerine said:
James why are you always on Annie's account now??
Makes me feel metrosexual.

heh no. Because i got a self-ban. But i still wanted to post in EE2 and other educational threads so yeah, i'm voicing myself through her account on those occaisions :)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Götterfunken said:
It that Prestige-King's? I would like to read it, if you could provide me a link.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=77844

It's in the 2004 section. Click on the one titled 'The Nine Cities of Troy: A Requiem for Utopia', by deusexmachina.

Let it be known that if coreyjk calls it crap his opinion is truly a biased one worthy of little note.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I've read some of the poems of Black Mans.

Let me just first say that his RS rocks. It's so very very hardcore that it just simply drips with 50/50ness.

The poems i've read are also intriguing, as most poems are :p I'm just amazed how differently poetry can be written. I'm too used to Coleridgean poetry :p But recently, i read another EE2er's suite of poems where she used predominantly 1-3 word lines and i was like "you can do that? :p". But yeah, black man just showed me yet again, another way that poetry can be constructed...very interesting indeedy! :)
thankyou so much for your really really supportive feedback james/airness/dreamerish, it is very humbling coming from you in light of the quality of your work. I thought your reflection statement was really amazing, the level of expression was wonderful. Your work was also very interesting, and i might be reiterating what others have said when i say that it is a very interesting perception of gender roles. you manipulated them very well throughout the story, and the contrasts were very very effective.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
coreyjk said:
in answer to your question i have read all the poetry compositions (of which i am most concerned), arbitrary stories and citicisms of the past extension 2 showcases. i believe that only one poetry composition is praiseworthy. furthermore, i have no desire to submit my major work unto this forum in the hope that it will receive positive comments (for this is the vain hope of everyone who has thus posted their work). i am not that inadequate with myself that i must openly seek compliment.
reverting back to the nature of the thread for feedback and discussion concerning major works, why might you be concerned with the 'poetry compositions'? who is it that you're referring to when you say that one is praiseworthy? i understand that you submitted a collection or suite of poetry (im sorry i cant remember which)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)