BOS University Guide: A Complete Guide to 1st Year Uni [A Work In Progress] (1 Viewer)

*jellz*

HSC
Re: The Idiot's Guide to University (FAQ)

glitterfairy! my 8 hour eStudent buddy :p

awesome guide. Thought i'd comment on the plagarism/referencing stuff:

one of the hardest things to get used to at uni, i found, was the plagarism thing, because most of my assignments in school were pretty much copied and pasted off of the internet. At mac (and other unis do this, i'm sure) a lot of the humanities subjects put each assignment through a plagarism checker. Ours is called "turnitin". We were warned that not only would you inevitably get caught and get a serious warning, but also possibly fail/redo the assignment, or even get expelled (unlikely for a first time offender though). It also means you CANNOT copy assignments from your mates in older years or copy passages out of books. Someone in one of my tutorials got in serious trouble last year (failed + had to repeat the course) because they copied a lot of their assignment from someone who did the course two years before. So my point is this: if your assignment is due the next day and you haven't done it, you have a way better chance of passing if you fill up on coffee and stay up all night to do it properly. To be honest, most first year assignments probably wouldnt take longer than one hard night's slog if you've been to the lectures, done the relevent readings and got a general idea of whats going on. That being said, you should always try to avoid the all-nighter when possible, because chances are your assessments will all be due pretty close to one another, and you'll need your stamina to keep going! Get organised early ;)

As for referencing, at macquarie i found that we got little direction in this area even though its an absolutely VITAL element of good academic practise. Even students who don't mean to plagarise can unwittingly do so if they fail to reference properly. Every time you use a direct quote, paraphrase or even just use an idea that you got from a particular source, you must acknowlede the source-- book, academic journal, website, documentary, magazine article, graph etc. etc. in considerable detail. When researching in the library, if you're not allowed to borrow the book or article, make careful note of the full name, author, publisher, publication date, year/edition, relevent page number and so on. There are many difference ways to reference your assignments-- Harvard, MLA, footnoting etc. So when you get an assignment, the best thing to do is to ASK YOUR TUTOR what their preferred system of referencing is and make sure they explain it to you. Don't feel stupid asking-- there are students in 2nd and even 3rd year who are only now developing an effective referencing style. Therefore, get into the habit early on.

thats all from me. woo!

lala2

Banned
HSC

Hey, if you got a distinction average, is that within the top 15% of your course? (in general). I'm asking as it seems a few people I know got invited to be members of the Golden Key Society, and they said the criterion for invitation (and therefore membership) is the top 15% of your course.

lala2

Banned
HSC

Hmm yes, I can think of one girl who definitely would be smart enough to be in the top 15% but she wasn't invited. Oh well, that's life.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
Re: Things you should know about universities, and choosing.

you say uni is not about getting a job /career...but then what if i choose the course i like, in this case Exercise and Sport Science, but waht if i cant get a job in it or job prospects are poor...so wouldnt you have to consider the career as well as the degree?!?!?

its this reason that separates my 1st pref... i like pharmacy but prob not as much as exercise and sport, but i know that the job prospects of being a pharmacist is good...so???

miss-smexy

HSC

Buiboi said:
you say uni is not about getting a job /career...but then what if i choose the course i like, in this case Exercise and Sport Science, but waht if i cant get a job in it or job prospects are poor...so wouldnt you have to consider the career as well as the degree?!?!?

its this reason that separates my 1st pref... i like pharmacy but prob not as much as exercise and sport, but i know that the job prospects of being a pharmacist is good...so???
Hey buiboi! I asked for you and she said that as an exercise scientist, you train the elite athletics i.e. for competitive sports, whereas as a exercise physiologist, you work with the general population. Therefore, as an exercise physiologist, you'd have more job opportunities than an exercise scientist. However, the job prospects are extremely wide for that degree, as in you can do alot of things because you have a background in sport science. =)

RHINO7

HSC

How many hours would you spend at uni a day, attending all your tutorials and lectures?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

RHINO7 said:
How many hours would you spend at uni a day, attending all your tutorials and lectures?
depends on your degree and how you arrange your timetable. i spend about 3 - 4 hours a day in classes plus another one or two hours if you include breaks. but i only have about 14 hours of class a week. some people would be at uni for like 6 hours a day, every day. what course are you looking at?

MissSarajevo

HSC

What are my prospects of finding employment? I got mostly Pass and credit in most subjects and 2 fails so far. I am graduating this year. Oh btw Im doing accounting degree. :cold:

HSC

MissSarajevo said:
What are my prospects of finding employment? I got mostly Pass and credit in most subjects and 2 fails so far. I am graduating this year. Oh btw Im doing accounting degree. :cold:
how'd grad appkications go?

puglover

HSC

poloktim said:
I'm very different here. I don't care where my degrees lead, I'm enjoying it now. In fact I have absolutely no clue what I'd want to do when I graduate from uni. I'll hopefully have a couple of degrees, to put in my resume, but what happens if I decide to do something totally different.

I know somebody who studied to become a primary school teacher. She absolutely loved the study of primary education, but when it came to graduation, she decided to persue a career that didn't require (or use) her degree. She loves where she's at now. So, it may end up that what you enjoy studying is not what you'll enjoy doing.

Basically what I tried to say was don't worry too much about job prospects. I've come into uni not knowing what I want to do, and I'm still unsure. If you enjoy what you do, and you know what you want to become, then bully to you! If you don't know what you want to become, but you're studying something you want to, then bully to you too!

I hope HSC kiddies enjoy their long break. :)
Unfortunately.. uni costs money.. at sometime that money needs to get paid back.. =/
Free education please?

Although I know some off shoots from the student union that stock up on degrees and then go overseas and never pay back their hecs debt.

Last edited:

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A

I realize the rateyouruni website http://www.rateyouruni.com.au/ is relatively new but thought it would be a good place to find out what students thought of their own university.

I understand that the official rankings which unis use to show how good they are are mostly to do with how much research and how many journal articles the academics get published. This really doesn't help students who want to know how good the uni is from a students point of view.

As yet there a very few ratings done. Even thought there are only a few comments with the ratings I found them useful When there are more postings from students rating their uni it should help us decide which uni might suit us.

http://www.rateyouruni.com.au/

Brontecat

HSC

Normally one's future job prospects are based on the degree they do in university. If you're interested in law, and do a law degree, normally you'd become a lawyer or judge; similarly, if you're interested in humanities, you'd normally get a job having something to do with that humanities field. Many people base their future jobs on the course they decide to do. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm hoping to do the same. I'm doing my degrees because I have a keen interest in both fields I'm studying, and I want to learn more.

What is not a good idea is when one chooses to study a degree/at a university for the main purpose of getting a job. That is a waste of three to five years. If you're not interested in the content, don't like the way the uni does things with the content, then you're best off going somewhere else and/or doing something else.

What I'm trying to say, and it's not very clear is that if you've not interest in studying your chosen field further, then don't go to university. If you've no interest in the field at all, don't study it. If you're not happy with the running of the course of study at a particular university, don't go there. Don't waste your time (since all you're doing is wasting your own time) doing something you don't want to do for a few years. You're on the starting line, jobs are on the finish line. Before you worry about the job, you need to get closer to it.

Note: those who start a course of study in a field/university because they couldn't get into their chosen field are different. They have the intention of getting into their field when they transfer, and hope to be doing it later on.

would this reasoning apply to a student who studies the bachelor of education in order to become a teacher?

iEdd

HSC

A lot less than band 6s in the HSC, that's for sure. Solid study in swotvac (6 hours a day?) + all the days before exams got me 2 HDs and 2 Ds last semester in engineering. As for day to day study throughout semester, as long as you can do everything on all the compulsory assignments, that's about it. (It's a good idea to do optional worksheets and textbook problems to grasp harder concepts though.)

It varies a LOT depending on type of person and the degree. What clicks for someone else, might not necessarily make sense to you and vise versa.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

thanks for all the guides!
how hard do you have to work to get say, credit, distinction? how many hours at home?
Depends on what you're doing tbh. I study history which means endless piles of readings, for every hour im at uni i do about 2-3 hours of work at home and i've been getting pretty good marks marks so far. I have found i have had to do a hell of a lot more work to maintain my marks at uni than when i was at highschool.

iEdd

HSC

Engineering is typically 20-25 contact hours a week plus a shitload of assignments. It's definitely one of the more intense programs.

megaman

HSC

Hrrrmm thanks for that, and they recomend at least an 1 hour for each contact time dont they? So im looking at a 45 hour week minimum essentially....thats manageable.

Dawn65

HSC
N/A

One thing i wish students were told in my first year at uni is ... Dont talk during lectures! It drives the people who are there to learn nuts. If you are going to talk through the lecture why go at all??
Sorry...pet peeve.

Lydia_88

HSC

You would have a pretty full timetable with those degrees. Dunno how many hours exactly but everyone I know doing a science related degree seems to be there like all day, every day. It depends how your labs and stuff are timetabled I guess, and how you organise it.
thumbs up... a lot of the sciences, my friends were at uni everyday. I am doing safety science and they have distance learning options (hence reducing my contact hours, but still more work to be done, and its flexible)... i have absolutely no interest in doing upper year labs.......would much rather prepare essays (safety science has got no lab work woohoo!) than sit in a lab for a god nothing 3-4 hours (completely clueless on what to do)...

from last term, i only had around 6 contact hours ( while still taking a full load) and this term its 12 hours. Next term will be 15...

Lydia_88

HSC

i have mixed feelings about honours. Most say that if your too overqualified, they are unwilling to hire you!:dog:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)