BOTH MedEntry and Face2Face. Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hey,

Since I couldn't post about preparation courses in the MSO forums, I may as well make a thread here. :uhhuh:

Is it worth enrolling in both of these companies (f2f or MedEntry) to enhance your chances of getting into Medicine, or just one of them is enough? For people who enrolled in both of these companies, which of them is better in terms of materials, teaching methods etc? Or are they basically the same? What were your UMAT scores in the end when you enrolled for either/both? I'm thinking about buying the packages with the discounts, not the 1k+ ones. Did the discounted packages have enough material for you guys to prepare?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: What about AMEPP? Any good?

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
I personally dont think its worth doing two.

Firstly, I think one is adequate because of the similarities between all the UMAT courses. Its not like youd be getting double the advice, because most of itwill overlap, so you wouldnt learn much that is new from the 2nd course.

Also, from experience, there is no way you will have time to do all of the questions that both courses offer unless you are some kind of machine. From my experience, most people (including myself) dont finish all the medentry practise tests.

I personally thought the Medentry course was great, and like I said above, had so much material that I didnt get through it all. Dont know about f2f or AMEPP, but i heard f2f is a bit dodgy as its just run by a bunch of students.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Epacepac said:
I heard MedEntry was better for the material, while f2f was better for the seminars. So really, I'd choose MedEntry, since what is said can't differ by much.

I went to MedEntry this year, and it was good in terms of an introduction into the UMAT, as in, to get into the right mindset. Kinda lost it all now, so I'm going again :p. Like kloud said though, it's nearly impossible to finish the material they provide in year 12.
Geez you've started prep early!

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
I personally dont think its worth doing two.

Firstly, I think one is adequate because of the similarities between all the UMAT courses. Its not like youd be getting double the advice, because most of itwill overlap, so you wouldnt learn much that is new from the 2nd course.

Also, from experience, there is no way you will have time to do all of the questions that both courses offer unless you are some kind of machine. From my experience, most people (including myself) dont finish all the medentry practise tests.

I personally thought the Medentry course was great, and like I said above, had so much material that I didnt get through it all. Dont know about f2f or AMEPP, but i heard f2f is a bit dodgy as its just run by a bunch of students.
Yeah i agree, from what i've seen medentry is the best one and just doing that is enough.

Congrats on making it into med btw ! (read it in another thread hehe)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Thanks kloud, epace and jeremy for your constructive comments :). I registered to MedEntry yesterday (bought the group discount) and they've stored plentiful of resources to go through :). The drills were quite good (completed a drill for each section, section 2 was by far the easiest :)). Statistically, it is the easiest but section 1 is the hardest.

Wow epace, you've attended the MedEntry seminar already? I've heard that a few Year 10'ers have already started prep for UMAT -.-.

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
More and more students are starting prep in years 10 and 11. Normally 1 or 2 in every group session at medentry. I think Icarus also still offers a prep course for year 11 students.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Wooz said:
More and more students are starting prep in years 10 and 11. Normally 1 or 2 in every group session at medentry. I think Icarus also still offers a prep course for year 11 students.
I've heard bad things about Icarus e.g. bankruptcy due to copyright, terrible materials and marina baby :). I've joined MedEntry already and so far so good :).

bubblesss

HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
I've heard bad things about Icarus e.g. bankruptcy due to copyright, terrible materials and marina baby :). I've joined MedEntry already and so far so good :).
yes i've joined medentry as well and the drills are extremely good!!!!!11

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
That stuff is mainly about the guy who owns the joint. Their are some problems with section two but still alot of students still do icarus.

Be sure to keep up with the drills and exams.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i did both (medentry and icarus) lol. the icarus section 3 were wayyyy to easy. like, i could get 28/30 correct and have 20 mins spare (there are some that dont even have a pattern). but medentry, i think, prepared me a lot better for section 3. the questions were a lot harder which is what you expect on the umat (cept it was really easy this year). altho the sudoku on the icarus site was kinda fun...
for section 1 and 2, both courses had their advantages/disadvantages. i found the questions in both courses for section 2 to be ambigious and disagreed with most of them. for section 1, the stimulus in the medentry course was much better. it was more umat-like and the questions were similar to those in umat.

but just to put it into perspective, my friend only purchased the 2 ACER booklets and didnt do a prep course. he got 97th percentile (2 more than me). so u have to wonder if these courses are worth it...

starf1sh

HSC
i dont think it will help. i didnt do any of the umat training stuff and i did alright (186)

and besides, wouldn't it be better to get into medicine, purely from your own efforts, not because your way of thinking has been tapered to "do well in the umat"?

but i did have a look through some section 3 (people say this is this section you can prep for) face2face stuff online the night before...and the stuff seriously doesnt compare to the actual umat. f2f is really basic, so youre seriously wasting half a grand or whatever on it.

Shedow

HSC
Short answer: Umat prep is not proportional to Umat result.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
I am all for intellectual property and integrity. No, really, I am, but the amount of crap that both parties (MedEntry and Icarus) have been flinging back and forth is just hands down rediculous. It's like a highschool courtyard.

Yes, the UMAT preparation courses are a thriving niche market that requires some savvy marketing moves but this is just rediculous. Instead of relying on the quality of their training methods to secure their student quotas, it's turned into a dirty smear campaign. It's undignified, unprofessional,and quite frankly, I'd be humiliated to be associated with either company at this point.

Do not determine which course(s) to take based on what's been alleged against them. Leave the pettiness outside the peripherals of your decision. On the other hand, you could go with the course which has yet to be incriminated in any crap at all. I took F2F and believe me, it's a tried and true system.

Zephyrio

HSC
The mistakes in spelling, syntax and grammar in F2F's program offended all my senses.

I'm being completely serious. It was atrocious.

Medentry on the other hand, is so annoying because as UMAT time rolls around, you'll find yourself on the computer 18 hours a day trying to capitalise on the $500you spent eight months ago, and your hurt your poor eyes.

lozy5

HSC
starf1sh said:
i dont think it will help. i didnt do any of the umat training stuff and i did alright (186)

and besides, wouldn't it be better to get into medicine, purely from your own efforts, not because your way of thinking has been tapered to "do well in the umat"?

but i did have a look through some section 3 (people say this is this section you can prep for) face2face stuff online the night before...and the stuff seriously doesnt compare to the actual umat. f2f is really basic, so youre seriously wasting half a grand or whatever on it.
agreed... i got 96th percentile, 187 overall and only did acer books... save your money

meethu

HSC
The ACER booklets are LOT easier than the actual UMAT though. Still, itt gives u some idea.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Zephyrio said:
The mistakes in spelling, syntax and grammar in F2F's program offended all my senses.

I'm being completely serious. It was atrocious.

Medentry on the other hand, is so annoying because as UMAT time rolls around, you'll find yourself on the computer 18 hours a day trying to capitalise on the $500you spent eight months ago, and your hurt your poor eyes.
There were heaps of mistakes in Medentry's stuff aswell. I think I noted 30 or so.

You've got to remember F2F stuff has been written by uni students, cut them some slack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)