Bow critique please (1 Viewer)

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
So I just thought I'd put my BOW concept out there. I really wna get different opinions from different people, not just those from my school, as I have so many ideas floating around the concept and am having trouble deciding how to express my concept...Would love criticism and suggestions on further development or improvement!

Basic Concept:
My BOW is going to be based on Alice In Wonderland. Specifically, its characters.
Atm I'm thinking of having 8 large panels, each devoted to one character. I want the characters' life and personality to shine and come through in each panel. I intend to present the characters in a powerful and intense way to the audience, and as Lewis Carroll himself drew from his own life to create his Wonderland characters, I want my BOW to make audiences consider the people in their own life who would resemble each character as they observe the work.

CHaracters:
-Alice
-White Rabbit
-Cheshire Cat
-Queen of Hearts
-Mad Hatter
-Tweedledum/dee
-Caterpillar

My idea so far...
Panels in a row. Lewis Carroll at the start of the row, somehow looking back on the other panels following him in the row, as if to think 'this is my world and characters which Ive created'. Each panel following will each portray one character.

Thinking of working in the scratchboard medium as it is one which allows for great detail and enables really contrasting and powerful works to be depicted.
May colour images after scratchboard.

Would love to know what people think. Is it strong enough? Opinions, crticisms, advice are all welcome. Advice on other suggested mediums (other than paint) also would be appreciated, I was thinkign of workign in artline at first, then came across scratchboard....

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Alice in Wonderland always makes for a good BOW topic. There is so much you can do with it.
I'm going to assume you've already read the book and watched a few versions of it in film so you know somewhat how the characters are going to look when you portray them yourself. You probably already have a fair few sketches in your VAPD by now.
The only problem I can think of at the moment is the size and number of the panels. Eight large and highly detailed panels is quite a feat.
As for other mediums besides paint, may I suggest coloured pencils or markers? Even ink and watercolours might look great.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Sounds like it will be a lot of fun, just be careful that your concept is very clear. Relating the characters to your audience's relations, etc, is a good way to link it, but make sure that the audience can understand it without a verbal/written explanation, because the markers won't have one-They'll be only looking at the images and title. I'm not sure that the characters alone will allow you to get good marks in the conceptual area. If you do emphasise that conceptual part though, and the 'created world' of Lewis Carroll thing, it will work really well.

There's tons of appropriations of Alice on Deviantart, if you haven't seen them, just have a search. And you can put the new Tim Burton movie as your inspiration :D

Also, as Cinnamonster said, 8 panels is a LOT. So just be aware of how much time you have left. As for the medium, I'm envisioning it in paint, but obviously thats the most competitive, so if you think you could portray it better in something else, go for it. Something that allows bright, vibrant colours.

Last edited:

sultani

HSC
So this is a good idea......
Make suure 8 panels will fit into the requirements of scale size.

It would be cool if the characters were coming out of the panels in some way...this will make ur audience look. This can show how Carroll was able to bring his imagination to life.

Colour would look great for the characters and just black n white would go with Carroll contrasting the reality of reality and the reality of Carroll.

So in our reality Carroll is just a man but in Carrolls reality he is so much more....Get me haha

HSC
just be careful, alice in wonderland has been done to death.

it could work though, as long as you have a really clear individual approach.

akrinis

HSC
Sounds like it will be a lot of fun, just be careful that your concept is very clear. Relating the characters to your audience's relations, etc, is a good way to link it, but make sure that the audience can understand it without a verbal/written explanation, because the markers won't have one-They'll be only looking at the images and title.
I would disagree with that this, because I was at the NSW Art Gallery today looking at Art Express works and there were a few works with written dialogue in the work that explained the mood/concept of the work(s).

awaitingtrain

HSC
I like the look of scratchboard works and the retention of detail it allows. And I've always liked alice in wonderland, I like how you're trying to present a human side to the characters so they aren't as abstract and so that it involves the reader a little more.
The only problem I would worry about is how strong your concept is, with cartoon characters I assume markers will be looking for something different to what they already know about the characters.
Will you be using a template from a movie or the book for your design or will you rediesign them according to your views? I'd suggest portraying them as YOU imagine them.

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
thanks for everyones suggestions/advice! keep em coming hehe :D

I like the look of scratchboard works and the retention of detail it allows. And I've always liked alice in wonderland, I like how you're trying to present a human side to the characters so they aren't as abstract and so that it involves the reader a little more.
The only problem I would worry about is how strong your concept is, with cartoon characters I assume markers will be looking for something different to what they already know about the characters.
Will you be using a template from a movie or the book for your design or will you rediesign them according to your views? I'd suggest portraying them as YOU imagine them.
In response to this, no i dont intend the characters to be 'cartoon like'. they may contain SOME elements or cartooning in them, for example the cheshire cat smile... but my intention is to still have some essence of realism in them. iv researched the characters and im using CHARACTERISTICS of them in order to help me develop how to portray them. for example, caterpillar: wise, smokes hookah etc...

so yes in a sense im depictng them according to my views...

awaitingtrain

HSC
Hahaha. Sorry if I offended... I didn't mean to. I just thought how nice it'd be to see an alice in wonderland character that wasn't a direct fudge of the Disney version, I hope you do well. :)

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
Hahaha. Sorry if I offended... I didn't mean to. I just thought how nice it'd be to see an alice in wonderland character that wasn't a direct fudge of the Disney version, I hope you do well. :)
O LOL i wasnt offended dont worry :) just making a point clear haha if i sounded a bit defensive i apologise >< thank you!

hitchbrick

HSC
lol uh oh, someone in my art class is doing alice in wonderland aswell, good luck

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Also, possibly be careful because I'd say it would increase popularity with the new movie that is out.

:)

AmieLea

HSC
yeah, it is a common subject. my teacher has a book of old B.O.W's and TWO had the theme of alice in wonderland. if you can get ur hands on them, you could use them as inspiration. read 'through the looking glass', it's wat inspirated alice in wonderland. or it's the sequel- i can't remember.

also, i was just thinking that Rothko technique of blending the two colours would look AWESOME! if you were painting. or Cezanne. both have a kinda "mystical" atomsphere. although rothko's a little boring... just a personal opinion though! good luck! :)

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
yeah, it is a common subject. my teacher has a book of old B.O.W's and TWO had the theme of alice in wonderland. if you can get ur hands on them, you could use them as inspiration. read 'through the looking glass', it's wat inspirated alice in wonderland. or it's the sequel- i can't remember.

also, i was just thinking that Rothko technique of blending the two colours would look AWESOME! if you were painting. or Cezanne. both have a kinda "mystical" atomsphere. although rothko's a little boring... just a personal opinion though! good luck! :)
haha
through the looking glass is the sequel :) havent read it yet but plan to real soon :D
haha yes i love rothko but cannot paint for crap sadly....im sticking to drawing :)
good luck to u too :)

Geoffo11

HSC
I'd go for an original concept, but if you pull this of ingeniously then you will be bound to do well. Try make it 10x better than any other Alice in Wonderland work already existing.
Though, that means you'd probably have to compete with the concept art from the new film:

And if you can pull something like that off, well then, mad hats off to you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)