• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Brave New World (1 Viewer)

mack

Banned
HSC
Brave New World isn't that bad once you get into it. My advice is to use these holidays to read it a few times, to give you a good advantage. It'll become less and less confusing the more you read it.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
mack said:
Brave New World isn't that bad once you get into it. My advice is to use these holidays to read it a few times, to give you a good advantage. It'll become less and less confusing the more you read it.
i mite read it after iv finished reading king lear

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
God damn. Reading set texts is stupid unless you are geniunely interested in the subject matter . I cant believe people actually waste time reading texts. Read plot outlines and summaries. Formulate a concept based on the module, find evidence within the text (quotes) and then write practise essays. Follow the SEXY/PEAL method in your paragraph structure and youre set.

wanton-wonton

HSC
absolution* said:
God damn. Reading set texts is stupid unless you are geniunely interested in the subject matter . I cant believe people actually waste time reading texts. Read plot outlines and summaries. Formulate a concept based on the module, find evidence within the text (quotes) and then write practise essays. Follow the SEXY/PEAL method in your paragraph structure and youre set.
You're a bloody idiot.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
You're a bloody idiot.
True, and i nonetheless managed to get 94 for advanced english emphasising how sucessful my technique was.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Can someone gimme a snap shot of what this book is about...[/QUOTE]

The thing about bnw is that it shows a society where everyone is completely happy and content and normal and beautiful and you have everything you want and want everything you have... and yet you get this creepy feeling that there's something really wrong with it, but you don't know what. Just crap on about utopia :)

wanton-wonton

HSC
Numero Uno said:
top book

still dont know why john the savage kills himself ?
should have found another lighthouse to live in

oh well i gave away the ending :)
Yeah, thanks for spoiling it for me. :eek:

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know any previous questions about this module A, In The Wild Texts?

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
I go to a boys' school, and the teacher is just plain gay...honestly...fuck!!!!
Just one teacher? What are YOU complaining about? Our entire English staff is gay!

Literally.

wanton-wonton

HSC
nicko88 said:
Just one teacher? What are YOU complaining about? Our entire English staff is gay!

Literally.
Same here. I just chose to focus on one teacher. Shut up.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
hey guess what wanton-wonton, i found your nickname in the text - twice !! are you creeped out ??

well ok, i found half your nickname - wanton

can you believe i actually read it? still a bit lost.

Numero Uno said:
still dont know why john the savage kills himself ?
should have found another lighthouse to live in
i don't quite understand it neither, guess i'll just go around asking people, or reading other's essays, or actually reading it again. sigh... -.-"

anyways, i don't get the bit about the 'unhurried footsteps', the last paragraph:

"Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east...."

are the feet john's or the people from the helicopters? they're john's right? is it trying to describe/emphasize that he's hanging and so that's why his feet are turning, like the twisting in the noose or from the wind...? ok...i think i answered my own question. ok... that paragraph is disturbing

well then, whatever happened to lenina? did he kill her? i;m so lost... !!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
table for 1 said:
"Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east...."

From another thread...

In general terms, Huxley uses this symbolism to portray the concept that even in its purest form, humanity (John) cannot escape from nature (compass bearings). The two are indelibly interconnected. This contrasts with the over-riding concept explored throughout BNW that humanity (within Huxley's personal totalitarian context) is gradually becoming divorced and separated from nature. *insert quote*.. and whamo a B6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)