• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Brave New World (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think it's a great book. Beats Antony and Cleopatra. I'm going to be very bored reading that again.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
i still don't know what happens to lenina. did john kill her? or did she go away in the helicoppers with the rest of them?

Numero Uno

HSC
absolution* said:
From another thread...

In general terms, Huxley uses this symbolism to portray the concept that even in its purest form, humanity (John) cannot escape from nature (compass bearings). The two are indelibly interconnected. This contrasts with the over-riding concept explored throughout BNW that humanity (within Huxley's personal totalitarian context) is gradually becoming divorced and separated from nature. *insert quote*.. and whamo a B6.
Lol this seems right

but its a bit out there

table for 1 said:
i still don't know what happens to lenina. did john kill her? or did she go away in the helicoppers with the rest of them?
from what ive read .. they cut her out , they dont mention her in the latter chapters
i guess she lives happily ever after
her importance within the book diminished as the story goes on .. as john realises shes a slut and wants nothing to do with her

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i reckon the book was heaps mad!! thought the ending was a bit crappy. yet it was a symbolic in terms of its context. it takes a real satirical position of society of yesterday and today. you need to delve deeper nto the true meaning before the real meaning of the book can be reached.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
i reckon the book was heaps mad!! thought the ending was a bit crappy. yet it was a symbolic in terms of its context. it takes a real satirical position of society of yesterday and today. you need to delve deeper nto the true meaning before the real meaning of the book can be reached.
If that was not meant to humourous, it was incredibly gay and non-sensical.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it was partly to feed humour, and of course it made sense.

people please back me up!!

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i dont c wat was so funny bout the book ... except the 'orgy porgy' part if i remember correctly

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
gz, seriosuly, when did i ever mention about the book being funny. read the above posts fornstar. and i'm not trying to argue with, i am just proving my righteousness.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
absolution* said:
If that was not meant to humourous, it was incredibly gay and non-sensical.
Are you talking about Brave New World? That's a pretty bad stance, if so.

The book WAS meant to be humourous in that it was satire. And I for one think it was quite a heterosexual book. Or maybe it was just a neutral book. When it tries to have sex with books of the same sex, I'll agree with you. Until then...

Anyway, you haven't even read the bloody book. Shut up.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Numero Uno said:
from what ive read .. they cut her out , they dont mention her in the latter chapters
i guess she lives happily ever after
her importance within the book diminished as the story goes on .. as john realises shes a slut and wants nothing to do with her
really? but on pg 211, i was under the impression that Lenina was the "young woman" from the helicopter, accompanying Henry. and then John ran towards her with the whip, so she got scared and turned to run but tripped and fell, so he whipped her. my question is, did he kill her? and is that what made him suicide, or did he just whip her good? which also made him kill himself...?

i actually don't get the orgy porgy bit...
but in pg 68 and 69, where they're saying 'the feet of the greater being are on the stairs' and 'i hear him; he's coming !'. gosh, these people are so high. wait, they're just high right? nothing symbollic??
and the bit where Lenina is trying to seduce John [pg 59]. i found that funny, how she was singing 'hug me till you drug me, honey; kiss me; kiss me till i'm in a coma; hug me, honey, snuggly'. it just seemed so odd. and for some reason, reminded me of a the song that goes 'kiss me, honey honey, kiss me; squeeze me, honey honey, squeeze me'. i don't know the rest of the song, maybe it was in an ad for honey? with a squeezable bottle? anyways...

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Slide Rule said:
Are you talking about Brave New World? That's a pretty bad stance, if so.

The book WAS meant to be humourous in that it was satire. And I for one think it was quite a heterosexual book. Or maybe it was just a neutral book. When it tries to have sex with books of the same sex, I'll agree with you. Until then...

Anyway, you haven't even read the bloody book. Shut up.
touche
10 char

PyRo999

HSC
table for 1 said:
i'd really hate to be doing emma. and i can't imagine how a guy would be able to read it, because i;m told it's really a girl's book. do you go to a co-ed school? or do your teachers just really hate you guys and just want to torture you guys?
Yeah, try being one of 2 boys in the advanced class, (not so bad on its own), but then havin a fackin butch lesbian feminist for your teacher who goes on and on about fackin' wimons rights and stuff, emma's positively manly when compared with the other shit i gotta put up with...

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
PyRo999 said:
Yeah, try being one of 2 boys in the advanced class, (not so bad on its own), but then havin a fackin butch lesbian feminist for your teacher who goes on and on about fackin' wimons rights and stuff, emma's positively manly when compared with the other shit i gotta put up with...
oh hell, english teachers suck. [no offence to all thsoe english teacher lovers]

Lil_Carlie

HSC
i found brave new world boring but i read it anyway... :eek:
it pretty much went straight over my head...
so much for writing essays on it n shite...im screwed....
the problem was for me that i felt that it never really engaged me...i didnt get into it... in the end you know what happened and you understand it, but i felt detatched from it...if that makes sence :confused:

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
ehehe joe we're doing the same modules

except we are doing INNER journeys

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Yeah, it wasn't too bad, if you can get past the first 3 chapters!! And a hint to anyone who hasn't read it, don't even bother reading the introduction until after you've read the book.
It should be called "The introduction that isn't really an introduction because an introduction can be read without any prior knowledge to the book, so therefore as you have to know the complications in the plotline and flaws in the characters, this clearly isn't an introduction, it's really an author's note that should be at the end of the book"

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
Yea just a question bout BNW, in the third chapter i got a bit confused. It kept changin from different scences. there a re like 4 different scences. Anywas can som1 plz tell me what te "Controller" is talkin bout the to students?

baobao

HSC
MeehShanku said:
Yea just a question bout BNW, in the third chapter i got a bit confused. It kept changin from different scences. there a re like 4 different scences. Anywas can som1 plz tell me what te "Controller" is talkin bout the to students?
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the director just explaining how this 'Brave New World' came about ... and the experiments they tried and failed... and hence the need for 'Community, Stability and Identity'....... I just read that part.. haha properly this time.. Ive decided to read the book again bcos the first time I just read the words but my brain interpreting meaning... and i also skipped pages... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)