Budget 2011 (1 Viewer)

Jessica14

HSC
$49.4b deficit 2010-11
$22.6b deficit 2011-12
$3.5b surplus 2012-13
(Source: Sky News Australia)

A rush to surplus? Were the spending cuts of $1.3b in defence spending and $1.2b in defence efficiency necessary?

Halving the HECS upfront payment subsidies.

$2.2b spent on mental health.

16,000 skilled migration places to regional areas.

Jessica14

HSC
I actually agree.... although I'm looking for a civilian job in defence so.... :( for me.

There are other spending cuts. It's being called middle class welfare cuts and the forcing of bludgers into work for 11 months to qualify for work for the dole rather than 6 months (which I also support).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Funding for mental health is p. good, I am pleased with this government on this issue.

bitumen

HSC
what the fuck they're cutting the hecs discount in half?

:cry:

Jessica14

HSC
what the fuck they're cutting the hecs discount in half?

:cry:
If you pay upfront, they will cut the discount by half.

I know it's his prerogative to disagree, but Joe Hockey was seriously displeased with this budget. And yet, he did not provide any ways to improve. He's got to understand that Australian citizens no longer care for the Coalition bitch-fest. If they can do better, I wanna hear a plan.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
$49.4b deficit 2010-11
$22.6b deficit 2011-12
$3.5b surplus 2012-13
(Source: Sky News Australia)

A rush to surplus? Were the spending cuts of $1.3b in defence spending and $1.2b in defence efficiency necessary?

Halving the HECS upfront payment subsidies.

$2.2b spent on mental health.

16,000 skilled migration places to regional areas.
3.5 billion? Really that ain't enough, not if they're trying to drum it up for political purposes as opposed to economic. The point of this as Nicky Sava rightly pointed out on insiders is that heading into an election, with a healthy surplus behind them they can turn up their noses and say "Here's a booming surplus in 2013, just like we said we'd do, just like you said we couldn't do, a roaring economy and high employment to boot, your move Abbott." If it's small enough that it might be blown out because someone sneezed it won't have that effect. Sava said she reckoned they needed twenty billion, I reckon atleast 10.

Lentern

HSC
If you pay upfront, they will cut the discount by half.

I know it's his prerogative to disagree, but Joe Hockey was seriously displeased with this budget. And yet, he did not provide any ways to improve. He's got to understand that Australian citizens no longer care for the Coalition bitch-fest. If they can do better, I wanna hear a plan.
Please don't pretend you speak for "Australian citizens" generally.

Jessica14

HSC
Please don't pretend you speak for "Australian citizens" generally.
So you caught the fallacy in my argument. Regardless, the political climate in this country is astonishingly antagonistic and, quite frankly, annoying. If Mr Hockey and Mr Abbott have a plan, they'll announce it in the next few days. I only hope they don't waste our valuable short attention spans by demeaning the goals of the incumbent government.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard that 22 million was to be spent on "chaplain education in schools". What a waste of taxpayers money if that is the case! Govt. schools are secular so the money would be going to private schools which I think shouldn't get any govt. money *sigh*

Lentern

HSC
So you caught the fallacy in my argument. Regardless, the political climate in this country is astonishingly antagonistic and, quite frankly, annoying. If Mr Hockey and Mr Abbott have a plan, they'll announce it in the next few days. I only hope they don't waste our valuable short attention spans by demeaning the goals of the incumbent government.
It might be a nicer world if two(maybe even more) contestants presented considered plans for government and the people weighed them up according to their merits but the reality is that any opposition who presents a comprehensive policy platform a long way out from an election will lose badly. The last federal candidate to do it was John Hewson in 1993(although Latham made some fairly positive policy contributions too). At the 1996 election Paul Keating described Howard as trying to roll himself into a tiny ball to avoid scrutiny, in 2007 Peter Costello accused Rudd of running a "Me too" campaign. And for much of his leadership people criticised Barry O'farrell for not trying to sell an alternative party of government so much as just trying to not be Labor. The election results speak for themselves.

Most good ideas that Abbott might present now would be absorbed into government policy gradually and long before the election meaning he would be left with what to campaign on? The flawed ideas which the government would pick apart to demonstrate the radical risks of having Abbott as leader of the opposition. Governments can do a bit more freelancing on policy because they are incumbent, they're safe, people know the sky isn't going to fall if they are in government. (Although knifing a first term prime minister doesn't capitalize on this asset). Abbott's strategy has merit. If you want to debate this further I'll oblige but believe me, you won't win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)