• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bush's Creationism in schools remarks (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
im pretty sure we can reliably date further than 5000BC

Your views are very fundamentalist .....curiously which denomination have u attached yourself to?
because i don't read Genesis so literally..

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Non-denominational. I'm not taking Genesis entirely literally, since I don't think a Genesis "day" is a literal 24-hour day. I'm not sure how to take the rest of it non-literally...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Ah.... well .. do u goto a church and/or a bible group?

well i think there is a difference..
I am liberal in my beliefs.. and i take most of Genesis.. as how in prehistory we would have viewed the world and how living then experienced more hardship and faith in God was necessary to survive.. i believe the Jews (not the orthodox) have a similar view of it

From my understanding faith and way of life should be based on New Testament... the life of Christ.. there are a lot more newer things said here that changes the implcations of the Old Testament .. vengeful God to a more forgiving one where salvation is Christ's sacrifice for your sins...

Btw as a science student... Bush has no rights to be such a dumbf**k to appaise the religious right...

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I went to a local Baptist church for a couple months...but ugh, it was like, Hillsong-wannabe. I despise the "feel-good" view of Christianity that so many churches teach these days, it's one of the reasons that kept me away for so long.

As for New Testament, I agree with you, but I just have a bit of trouble coming to terms with a lot of it, namely how Jesus' sacrifice is actually worthy enough of substituting punishment for billions and billions of people. Since I am a logical thinker (gasp) I tend to focus more on learning the theological and, dare I say, scientific side to my beliefs. I need to spread more into the other areas.

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
I went to a local Baptist church for a couple months...but ugh, it was like, Hillsong-wannabe. I despise the "feel-good" view of Christianity that so many churches teach these days, it's one of the reasons that kept me away for so long.

As for New Testament, I agree with you, but I just have a bit of trouble coming to terms with a lot of it, namely how Jesus' sacrifice is actually worthy enough of substituting punishment for billions and billions of people. Since I am a logical thinker (gasp) I tend to focus more on learning the theological and, dare I say, scientific side to my beliefs.
hey we have a thinker. i am sorry if you believe in logic and follow the scientific side, you dont belong here. Only loonies who think jesus was gods son are welcome

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
I accept it.. easier.. i grew up as strict Anglican.. so i usually think of it as an ultimate sacrifice and selfless act.. and in spite of all the taunts and pain.. he loved you so much that he could do it..

its rather symbolic.. as the Earthly incarnation of God (Unless you dun believe in Trinity) he is God going and experiencing your suffering in the pits of hell for you..
But thats as short as i kno how to make it..

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
SashatheMan said:
hey we have a thinker. i am sorry if you believe in logic and follow the scientific side, you dont belong here. Only loonies who think jesus was gods son are welcome
I do believe Jesus was God's son. I just don't understand and hence don't fully appreciate the importance of his death on the cross.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
I mentioned that it was the flood which I believed changed things, this was much much earlier, I don't know how much earlier, 4000 BC, who knows?
theres no evidence of a flood that big what so ever. not atleast when modern humans existed. you are just making random guesses, that doesnt support anything.

If you want to make random guesses why dont you take up scientology as your religion. After all they believe souls, came on a space ship to earth and implented into humans.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
I do believe Jesus was God's son. I just don't understand and hence don't fully appreciate the importance of his death on the cross.
well its a start that you dont appreciate and follow a death of a man to such an extent. However you still need to get over the fact that he was just a mortal human who died like everyone else, except he told people he was gods son, even though anyone else would have easily does the same, he was just the first person to think so , to make people follow him.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
SashatheMan said:
well its a start that you dont appreciate and follow a death of a man to such an extent. However you still need to get over the fact that he was just a mortal human who died like everyone else, except he told people he was gods son, even though anyone else would have easily does the same, he was just the first person to think so , to make people follow him.
And also managed to come back to life after being dead for 2 whole days (yes 2 days, he died on the "1st day" and arose on the "3rd day")...

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
And also managed to come back to life after being dead for 2 whole days (yes 2 days, he died on the "1st day" and arose on the "3rd day")...
theres no proof of that. There is no writing of Jesus at all that exist, theres no writing from any of the apostles, or anyone that actually knew him in the flesh.

Only a guy called Paul who never met jesus in the flesh claimed some strange vision came to him about jesus and he began to preach christianity. He has a VISION, that could mean a dream, hallucinations anything you want. The bottom line is that he never even witnessed this happen. he never mentions anytihng of his life. only like 40 years after, Mathew expanded this story to include the life of jesus.

you basicaly believe a story which went around differnt writters of the time, where each one added more to the myth of jesus to make it look more believable.

Its like believing a greek mythological story of hercules and following your life from the outcome of that.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
- Dinosaurs existed millions of years ago.
- Humans only discovered dinosaur remains recently.
- They aren't mentioned in the bible, because when the people made up the bible/kuran/torah, they didn't know that such things existed, so they couldn't include it in the fairy tale.
- It's proof enough that all religion is fake.

- Always remember that the bible/koran/torah was written by the same people who thought that the earth was flat.
really? well, the same "people" also described the early stages of a baby in verry precise detail, said that worker bees were female, and said that the mountains act like pegs which hold the earth together. all of these were "scientifically proven" only recently, yet these, and MANY other scientific facts, have been recorded in these "people's" days. im pretty sure i would trust someone that impossibly accurate if they told me that we were created, and not evolved from other species

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
SashatheMan said:
theres no proof of that. There is no writing of Jesus at all that exist, theres no writing from any of the apostles, or anyone that actually knew him in the flesh.

Only a guy called Paul who never met jesus in the flesh claimed some strange vision came to him about jesus and he began to preach christianity. He has a VISION, that could mean a dream, hallucinations anything you want. The bottom line is that he never even witnessed this happen. he never mentions anytihng of his life. only like 40 years after, Mathew expanded this story to include the life of jesus.

you basicaly believe a story which went around differnt writters of the time, where each one added more to the myth of jesus to make it look more believable.

Its like believing a greek mythological story of hercules and following your life from the outcome of that.
i agree with you on this one?? strange...

only the bit about denying that jesus died on the cross though

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
i agree with you on this one?? strange...
thats because it supports your ideology that christianity is wrong and that the only right belief in islam. Even though islam has its own never proven myths, and gaps that so many followers either dont know about or choose to egnore or provide a story to justifity it without any evidence.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
veterandoggy said:
really? well, the same "people" also described the early stages of a baby in verry precise detail, said that worker bees were female, and said that the mountains act like pegs which hold the earth together. all of these were "scientifically proven" only recently, yet these, and MANY other scientific facts, have been recorded in these "people's" days. im pretty sure i would trust someone that impossibly accurate if they told me that we were created, and not evolved from other species
sorry for the requote, but if these are real, then im sure it would be possible for the same being who said these to have enough credibility for other things he says to be believed.

besides, how could i show you an angel, or satan for that matter?

Last edited:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
SashatheMan said:
thats because it supports your ideology that christianity is wrong and that the only right belief is islam. Even though islam has its own never proven myths, and gaps that so many followers either dont know about or choose to ignore or provide a story to justifity it without any evidence.
christianity isnt wrong according to me as i have been made to sound like, it still has many similarities, only now it also has about as much differences as well. if i say christianity is wrong, i would be referring to the contradictions in the bible (which is translated to something like 'library'. hence we believe in the 'injeel', not the bible, because the injeel was the divine revelation)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i dont know exactly what you mean precise details on baby development , but theres many , many more things that were proven wrong, and alot of them where associated with god.
Why did the Aztecs sacrifice people? they believes god would bring them rain, but any sane person now knows that rain is simply a weather pattern and is not cuased by blood shed.
or that the world is flat, whcih was later proven wrong, or that there isnt such a thing as a witch and they shouldnt be burnt at the stake, or the idea that the sun goes around the earth.
look all these have been proven wrong, all with the help of Science and logic. Someone saying we were created by god, has NOT been scientificly proven, hence theres no reason to argue that peopel in past history could predict sometihng without advanced technology. T
hey predicted many things, some were correct and some where wrong. however all the correct assumptions were scientifically justifiable , but god is not.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
sorry for the requote, but if these are real, then im sure it would be possible for the same being who said these to have enough credibility for other things he says to be believed.

besides, how could i show you an angel, or satan for that matter?
first of all people who observe bees and people who are preaching of god and telling how he made us are completely diffent people.
the people who were involved in the field of lets say collecting honey , observed the bees and wrote down assumptions and held ideas on how they operated. These people observed physical objects and made notes on them. Some of them were proven wrong as technology advances and some were correct.

the people who said god existed didnt have physical evidence to justify what they said. And theres lots scientific evidence that proves it wrong.

and when it comes to angels and satan exist, thats the whole point u cant prove they exist, thats why its so unbelivable. a bee could be studied and the sex of it could be determines through experiments. You cant physically study god. its more believable to study a woman who was accused of being a witch as there is actually sometihing to observe rather then studying a non material thing (god). And as we all know a witch is not real, so why is god real?

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
Biblical faith is not the same as dictionary faith.
I beg to differ. Faith is belief without proof. If Biblical faith is different, please explain how it is.
Dumsum said:
MoonlightSonata said:
2. Morality. First of all you make the enormous mistake of assuming that such a thing exists.
Oh, okay. Would you kill a random person on the street? Answer honestly now. And not just "no" because you'd get busted.
Just because I would behave inline with the socially acceptable norm does not mean that there is any true right or wrong. I would recommend reading David Hume. He makes a very important point about morality. According to Hume it is a logical fallacy to go from stating propositions of fact (what is) to then conclude propositions of morality (what ought to be done). This is called the "is-ought" gap. There is absolutely no objective evidence in the world that can produce moral truths. As Hume says:

"Take any action allow’d to be vicious: Willful murder, for instance. Examine it in all lights, and see if you can find that matter of fact, or real existence, which you call vice… You can never find it, till you turn your reflexion into your own breast, and find a sentiment of disapprobation, which arises in you, toward this action. Here is a matter of fact; but ‘tis the object of feeling, not reason."

Do not rule out the very plausable possibility that morality is a fiction. It is only the work of feelings and not an objective fact.
Dumsum said:
Indeed, this is debateable, and something I'm still having trouble coming to terms with. A strong argument proposed to me once by a friend is that morality is based on society and culture--whatever you are taught as a child is what you end up believing as morally "right" or "wrong." I don't claim to have a response to that, I haven't looked into it enough. Nevertheless, the Bible is explicit. There is an objective "right" and there is an objective "wrong." I think everyone knows what they are, even if they convince themselves otherwise.
If you're interested I recommend taking a course in moral philosophy. The last part of what you refer to is called "divine command theory" -- essentially "x is good" means "God commands x". (It is unfortunately one of the worst theories out there.)
Dumsum said:
No, I haven't heard of utilitarianism. I'll have to check it out. "in ethics, the theory that the rightness or wrongness of an action is determined by its usefulness in bringing about the most happiness of all those affected by it." I'll read a bit more into it, let me know if this is a good definition to start from.
Basically yes. Utilitarianism works at achieving the greatest good for the greatest number, counting each person equally. Good is usually defined as happiness or pleasure (though some have gone into more detail).
Dumsum said:
As I said before, the Bible is explicit. God tells us what is right and what is wrong, and since I believe everyone has some sense of morality, even before they are taught as a child, I believe we are created like so.
I don’t think we are. And Hume has an answer for you. Our feelings of morality stem from empathy for other people. That is why all humans have it - because all humans have the ability to empathise with another.

I really recommend you read A Treatise on Human Nature. Once you read through these different theories you will see there is no need to account for the unexplainable with a deity.
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
its also irrational not to believe in God as we cant prove he doesnt not exist... its the converse..
No, the burden is on the person who believes in God, not the other way around. If I said that I met an alien last night you would not believe me without proof. Indeed, given the extraordinary nature of the claim, you would be acting irrationally to believe me without proof.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
and when it comes to angels and satan exist, thats the whole point u cant prove they exist, thats why its so unbelivable. a bee could be studied and the sex of it could be determines through experiments. You cant physically study god. its more believable to study a woman who was accused of being a witch as there is actually sometihing to observe rather then studying a non material thing (god). And as we all know a witch is not real, so why is god real?
MoonlightSonata said:
No, the burden is on the person who believes in God, not the other way around. If I said that I met an alien last night you would not believe me without proof. Indeed, given the extraordinary nature of the claim, you would be acting irrationally to believe me without proof.
Ok Sasha with that comment you made and likewise MLS with that statement, what if you can't produce physical proof but there are other people who have encountered the same experience either in the presence of your company or without?

Like for example, say if Person A saw an alien and Person B also saw the same alien. What then? Do we dimiss the claims becuase there's no physical evidence or ability to empirically test what happened? (assuming each person is of good health and behaves in a rationally)

If anyone's addressed this before, sorry, but the thread is quite long to sort through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)