Buying a Car (1 Viewer)

Chang

HSC
Im actually having this problem myself, buying a new car soon when i get my P's except i dunno wot my budget will be, but would probaly be around the 15k-25k mark. Im probaly gonna look for a Evo III, if not then ill get an impreza. The reason y i wanna get these cars are because they are 4 wheel drive which means it should handle well for my liking and with a little work they run pretty damn good. but since your not into jap cars i guess something like a monaro would be a good buy (im not sure about the prices / economy rate of these cars) but im sure if would fit most of your purposes. Getting something like a barina may be easier to drive and park since they are smaller but they have no power and driving to and from would be pain since its got hardly any power.

doe

HSC
N/A
pfft, theres plenty of power. i regularly use it to go down the coast with surfboard, mountain bike, laptop, a heap of clothes and books and it has enough power, including up and down the big hill at woollongong. i also used it to move house, big items of furniture (bed, couch etc) went in my dads 4wd and i wouldnt use the barina to pull a trailer or anything, but for cruising about its fine. ya dreaming if you think you need anything more, but hey i used to drive a commodore so i know where your coming from.

damn revheads :D

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Depending where you are driving you might not need a powerful car. I'm going to UOW so I am driving to and from wollongong alot, and I need the power. I was driving down there is my mums 2.4 litre and even when pushing hard on the accelerator I was going slow up hills and taking ages to accelerate when overtaking. And it makes this sound like the engine can't take it anymore, like it is stuck in one gear and overrevving, and you have to let up on the accelerator and press down again.

But I've driven it a lot other places and its fine, it just doesn't like the freeway.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Chang said:
Im actually having this problem myself, buying a new car soon when i get my P's except i dunno wot my budget will be, but would probaly be around the 15k-25k mark. Im probaly gonna look for a Evo III, if not then ill get an impreza. The reason y i wanna get these cars are because they are 4 wheel drive which means it should handle well for my liking and with a little work they run pretty damn good. but since your not into jap cars i guess something like a monaro would be a good buy (im not sure about the prices / economy rate of these cars) but im sure if would fit most of your purposes. Getting something like a barina may be easier to drive and park since they are smaller but they have no power and driving to and from would be pain since its got hardly any power.
A monaro is like over 40K...
Why would a student want a monaro..?

Are you getting a new or used Impreza? Make sure you budget, impreza's use the more expensive premium unleaded

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Depending where you are driving you might not need a powerful car. I'm going to UOW so I am driving to and from wollongong alot, and I need the power. I was driving down there is my mums 2.4 litre and even when pushing hard on the accelerator I was going slow up hills and taking ages to accelerate when overtaking. And it makes this sound like the engine can't take it anymore, like it is stuck in one gear and overrevving, and you have to let up on the accelerator and press down again.

But I've driven it a lot other places and its fine, it just doesn't like the freeway.

pfffffft my 1.6L mazda goes fine up mt ousley.... dunno what you're whinging about :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wait, wait, wait. Asian - law? Honda Jazz??? Please explain. This is excellent. For my marketing principles group project im meant to do a marketing plan for honda jazz.
Why asian/law/honda jazz goes together is great info for me :)

tomekz

HSC
20k would get u a nice looking BA Ford Futura (used of course) thats for something with ~20 000 km on it.... XT your looking at ~18k, futura (which has colour coded door moulds and also all power windows) ur looking at ~20k... BUT i would suggest wait a bit more and go for a fairmont, better engine, luxury is always a plus... (for the ghia you might want to wait a bit longer, premium sound system and leather interior, among a couple of other things) If you do about 400k's it should be right... Your looking at ~$60 a week for a full tank and if my memory serves me correct you might be able to get about 500k's on a tank, obviosly thats without thrashing it. But if your lucky the BA's were optioned with gas less power out put but doesnt hurt the pocket as much. If your looking for a smaller car go for a N15 II Pulsar, ~10k, Doesnt hurt the pocket as much and your looking at about $30-40 on petrol. With Petrol id go with premium sometimes you can get extra mileage from a tank so it kinda evens out.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
tomekz said:
20k would get u a nice looking BA Ford Futura (used of course) thats for something with ~20 000 km on it.... XT your looking at ~18k, futura (which has colour coded door moulds and also all power windows) ur looking at ~20k... BUT i would suggest wait a bit more and go for a fairmont, better engine, luxury is always a plus... (for the ghia you might want to wait a bit longer, premium sound system and leather interior, among a couple of other things) If you do about 400k's it should be right... Your looking at ~$60 a week for a full tank and if my memory serves me correct you might be able to get about 500k's on a tank, obviosly thats without thrashing it. But if your lucky the BA's were optioned with gas less power out put but doesnt hurt the pocket as much. If your looking for a smaller car go for a N15 II Pulsar, ~10k, Doesnt hurt the pocket as much and your looking at about $30-40 on petrol. With Petrol id go with premium sometimes you can get extra mileage from a tank so it kinda evens out.
Fucking $1.10 today, biggest ripoff. Not as much as my $20 haircut though.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
get a car with a 2L motor or less for decent fuel economy
i have a '95 VW golf and it costs about 50 bucks a tank and lasts me nearly 2 weeks which is a lot better than the falcon

and with power, my golf is quick as....no struggling up hills like my old mazda 121; this is even with the aircon

i would reccomend european cars like VWS as they are built much more solid and are much more reliable....its something that wont crumple like tinfoil, which most asian cars do

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
im biased, suzuki baleno gtx

sexy and black...

the baby seat in the back doesn't quite fit this image tho :(

iamsickofyear12

HSC
twisted_emily said:
get a car with a 2L motor or less for decent fuel economy
i have a '95 VW golf and it costs about 50 bucks a tank and lasts me nearly 2 weeks which is a lot better than the falcon

and with power, my golf is quick as....no struggling up hills like my old mazda 121; this is even with the aircon

i would reccomend european cars like VWS as they are built much more solid and are much more reliable....its something that wont crumple like tinfoil, which most asian cars do
My car probably costs me around $65 a tank and lasts me less than a week. I do 600k's or more per week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)