Buying latest models of gaming mouse (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
So i am looking to buy a new mouse, my logitech mx518 [arguably one of the best gaming mouses ever made] is nearly dead. Ive had it for a few years and its served me well but i am still a bit upset about it.

I am thinking about the G5 2007 edition or the G9. Both these mouses are apparently pretty good.

The G9 is a bit pricey though, and whilst the specs on the G5 are an improvement, many people say the ergonomics on my current mouse [ the mx518] are just superior in every way.

Is there a mouse in my price range that wouldn't be a "downgrade"? should i bother buying one of the new models of mouse such as the G5? is the G9 worth it considering its almost twice the price of the G5 and supposedly not that much better?

should i just look on Ebay for another mx518? i have never ever had any complaints from this mouse, its great in every way, perfect ergonomics, plenty of buttons, good hand feel, smooth, high dpi [1800 i think] but adjustable so you can down to 400 if u want for sniping or whatever. It just seems stupid to buy the same thing again, especially when years out of date.

Perhaps there is other options? ive heard good things about the razor's. Keep it mind that i am a left hander, i only use the mouse in my right hand when i am gaming.[hasnt been an issue with my mx518 which is supposedly right hand only, but keep it in mind]

Zeber

HSC
i had the diamond razorback for cs, along with steelpad - it has served me well.

costs 200ish bucks though (in total)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
MSY are generally cheaper than ebay for logitech stuff.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Whats so special about a gaming mouse that a normal mouse cant do?
well first of all, whats a normal mouse? if you mean a regular cheapo $10 mouse, then theres a vast difference.

A cheap mouse only has a dpi of about 400, a gaming mouse usually has a dpi of around 2000 so its allready 5 times more responsive.
Actual response time, most mouses [even half of gaming mouses] have a response time of 8ms, a really good mouse can get that down to 1ms.

More buttons. My logitech 518 has 8 buttons and on the fly dpi switching, meaning i can change from 400 dpi [relatively slow mouse] to 1600 with the push of a button.

Theres this function alot of cheaper mouses do called sleep function. Its shit because it basically turns off the mouse if it hasnt been used for a few seconds to save power or something, but that extra delay when it turns back on is really felt in games, causes you to die alot if you are just sitting there then it turns off then enemy comes around, your mouse feels sluggish.

Higher quality materials overal makes grip better and the mouse slide on its feet better.

Basically all of this stuff is good for a non gamer aswell, but its worth is in the performance increase in games. You have to use a better mouse to notice the difference

Zeber

HSC
in FPS games, the sensitivity of the mouse is essential when it comes to wars and competitions.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hm..i see. I mite get one sometime then, whats the general price range?
I dont wanna be spending heaps of money just on a mouse, so anything thats $50 or over i won't consider. Actually, since its just a mouse, probably $20 would be my limit, but if there is a very good model one out thats up to about $50, then i might consider it.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
I don't get the emphasis on gaming mouse. I play perfectly fine with a regular $50 mouse. Microsoft Comfort optical mouse 3000. Not the best mouse, but it does fine for what it's supposed to (excpt for the wheel. It sucks.)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
shinji said:
I don't get the emphasis on gaming mouse. I play perfectly fine with a regular $50 mouse. Microsoft Comfort optical mouse 3000. Not the best mouse, but it does fine for what it's supposed to (excpt for the wheel. It sucks.)
Well you might play fine, but if you got a proper mouse you would go alot better. A good mouse becomes a joy to use and all of the extra buttons and features can really come in handy. Your peripherals is how you experience a game, so it makes sense to buy good ones so you get the best possibly experience.

Price range? well the G9 is a top of the line mouse, probably the best mouse thats out right now and its about $100. The G5 that i got today was $65. The logitech mx518 that i currently use was i think $80 when i first bought it, its an incredibly good mouse and because its out dated and doesnt have as high a dpi as the latest mouses you can pick it up on ebay for like $20.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i ended up buying the G5 2007 model. Its alot like my mx518 but the grip seems to be better, the wheel has tilt, theres a little light display on it and the dpi is a bit higher. overall comfort isnt as good as the mx518 but i should get used to it, even if i dont the difference isnt that noticable and the improved features should make up for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)