Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hall Chadwicks HR manager has been away and systems have been up and down, so don't be upset if you haven't heard anything yet.

Have they still got one person for HR?
I remember being sick on my 3rd day and I couldn't get through to my manager, so I keep ringing the HR lady too.

Ah, memories...

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Have they still got one person for HR?
I remember being sick on my 3rd day and I couldn't get through to my manager, so I keep ringing the HR lady too.

Ah, memories...
Well, I don't work there anymore but when I was hassling them for my PAYG summary - it seemed like there was only one person to ask. Besides the ladies in banking, who were reasonably helpful [emoji28]

Yep, memories indeed.

milkytea99

HSC
Well, I don't work there anymore but when I was hassling them for my PAYG summary - it seemed like there was only one person to ask. Besides the ladies in banking, who were reasonably helpful [emoji28]

Yep, memories indeed.
Btw, it's a dumb question but do you think it's best to apply to hall Chadwick online or just email my CV and cover letter to them?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Btw, it's a dumb question but do you think it's best to apply to hall Chadwick online or just email my CV and cover letter to them?
I'm not sure to be completely honest.
I was in a different situation, because the HR manager gave me her email address to send my application directly to her at a Cadetship evening.

Either method will still result in her receiving your application.

milkytea99

HSC
I'm not sure to be completely honest.
I was in a different situation, because the HR manager gave me her email address to send my application directly to her at a Cadetship evening.

Either method will still result in her receiving your application.
Do you by chance have the email address? Can you please pm it to me? Thanks

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Explain Like I am 5:

WHAT IS CADETSHIP??
It's an entry level job (generally) in an accounting firm. It's for people who are about to start or have just started uni.

You work and learn about accounting at the same time.

It's a real, propper job like what people do when they finish uni, except you start before everyone else.

matchalolz

HSC
hey, just have a question
If I received an offer for company x and sign all their paperwork but then receive another offer for company y, am I allowed to just ditch the first one and go with the second one? Should I be telling company x that I'm waiting on a response from somewhere else or should i just zip it?

Is this a common situation? Please answer if you have had experience with something like this...

Add on question: Is it common for people to move firms in first year uni?

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hey, just have a question
If I received an offer for company x and sign all their paperwork but then receive another offer for company y, am I allowed to just ditch the first one and go with the second one? Should I be telling company x that I'm waiting on a response from somewhere else or should i just zip it?

Is this a common situation? Please answer if you have had experience with something like this...

Add on question: Is it common for people to move firms in first year uni?
If you've already signed a contract and then you renege on it to take another offer then you've essentially just broken your promise/commitment. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you really must.

The way to avoid getting into that situation of course is to just not sign the offer from the first company if you weren't wholly committed/ready for it. If you are waiting on something else you should tell them that before you sign.

Obviously nothing will stop you from doing it and you probably won't be penalised (unless it's in your contract? But you haven't started yet) but it's not something you'd be wanting to do too often or for no real good reason.

To answer your other question, not that many people move firms in first year uni (i.e. during cadetship) but there are a few who will move from mid-tier/botique to something larger. Usually people do that at graduate level (i.e. after they've done the two years).

alleyronin

HSC
N/A
This type of dilemma occurs often in life but the main thing to remember is that it is YOUR life.
So don't be afraid to make the right decision for YOU.
Wait until you know definitely if you get a position with Y.
Then contact X and be honest, apologise for mucking them around and any disruption caused, and thanking them for all they have done.
90% chance they will wish you well. 10% they won't.... in that case they may not have been a good choice anyway.
Move on with confidence knowing your conscience is clear and have no regrets

matchalolz

HSC
This type of dilemma occurs often in life but the main thing to remember is that it is YOUR life.
So don't be afraid to make the right decision for YOU.
Wait until you know definitely if you get a position with Y.
Then contact X and be honest, apologise for mucking them around and any disruption caused, and thanking them for all they have done.
90% chance they will wish you well. 10% they won't.... in that case they may not have been a good choice anyway.
Move on with confidence knowing your conscience is clear and have no regrets
ah thank you for this :) really cheered me up! I hope they won't be too harsh on me

Although my actions seem to suggest otherwise I'm not actually an evil/backstabbing person (maybe just a bit stupid), I just want the best for both me and the company because if it is considerably harder for me to get to work and then go to uni from work that threatens the chance that I will have a good work/life balance and hinders my performance in the company -> I may end up dropping out, the company will have wasted money and will have to find someone else, likewise if I don't enjoy the career prospects/options aren't broad enough I could also end up leaving if I'm not satisfied

Probably going to delete my above post, I feel weird disclosing so much info

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Truth be told at your stage of your career, I don't think anyone will hold it too much against you as the only thing most employers would have lost is the cost of recruitment and opportunity to hire someone else had they been able to offer that one more position (this will vary depending on each company/firm though). That being said, having a bit of humility in knowing how you have mucked around the company you did sign with and the implications, would help improve the likelihood they will you wish you well. Your reasons don't sound unreasonable particularly if it's not near to you but that being said, these are all factors you could have and should have considered prior to signing - you don't discuss the terms of an agreement after you have already signed and committed to it!

Either way, if you do get an offer for Company Y and that's what you really want, there's no point doing something you really don't have your heart in. It's like people who drop out of accounting cadetships when they find out they got into medicine. It happens, people get it, etc... but it still annoys people.

milkytea99

HSC
Btw, I've just sent in the applications last week and haven't heard from them yet. How long does it take them to get back to you? And if you're rejected, will they send you an email or they just never get back to you?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Btw, I've just sent in the applications last week and haven't heard from them yet. How long does it take them to get back to you? And if you're rejected, will they send you an email or they just never get back to you?
From my experience

Some don't get back to you, and some do get back to you .

If the wait is too long, you probably got rejected

matchalolz

HSC
Truth be told at your stage of your career, I don't think anyone will hold it too much against you as the only thing most employers would have lost is the cost of recruitment and opportunity to hire someone else had they been able to offer that one more position (this will vary depending on each company/firm though). That being said, having a bit of humility in knowing how you have mucked around the company you did sign with and the implications, would help improve the likelihood they will you wish you well. Your reasons don't sound unreasonable particularly if it's not near to you but that being said, these are all factors you could have and should have considered prior to signing - you don't discuss the terms of an agreement after you have already signed and committed to it!

Either way, if you do get an offer for Company Y and that's what you really want, there's no point doing something you really don't have your heart in. It's like people who drop out of accounting cadetships when they find out they got into medicine. It happens, people get it, etc... but it still annoys people.
Me wasting/using my time to travel from home -> work is not really a concern of mine because it was my choice and my sacrifice but just the realisation that I'll be travelling work -> uni is something that concerns me a bit... Again I didn't think that I'd be travelling from work

It's always been a dream of mine to go to uni in/near the city and tbh I don't really see myself giving this up especially since it's not like I can't achieve the marks to get in. Yes I might sound like I'm selfish but the closer the better. City is closer to my home too. That being said I'm really really grateful for the opportunity given to me at this point and would be willing to endure commuting (I do it already for high school). Just thinking that I should've treated the situation more carefully (trials + stressed brain). Thanks for all your insights.

matchalolz

HSC
Some took ages even if I wasn't directly rejected. Some still haven't gotten back to me and I know ppl who got offers. Generally I found over 1-2 months is rejection

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Some took ages even if I wasn't directly rejected. Some still haven't gotten back to me and I know ppl who got offers. Generally I found over 1-2 months is rejection
There are a few reasons some places take long to reject their applicants. Other than being lazy, it's often because they want to be sure they got their offer accepted signed sealed delivered in case people who are successful actually reject the offers. In other words there is a 'back-up' list.

milkytea99

HSC
Crofts hasn't got back to me yet lol. I submitted the application in June. Now it's August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)