Can a non-high ranked high school student get a high ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Howangu1

HSC
N/A
Currently I'm enrolled at Condell Park High School, which isn't a very highly academic ranked high school in south-western Sydney. The next HSC is coming, and I am really nervous and wonder whether a student from an average school (my school last HSC rank was about 400th in the state) like me can get a high ATAR, and whether or not I have to move to another selective school like Sefton or Moorebank? Moreover, it's because of my auntie who used to nag me about changing to another better school lke East Hills Boy if I want to have a good academic result.
So, my question is: Can a non-high ranked high school student get a high ATAR and if anyone used to have the same experience like me but achieved a high ATAR without changing school give me some advices?

Thank you​

HSC
If you're first in your class then your mark is static and can't be affected by your cohort. I was worried about this too lol, my school is like 500th. But yeah just do your best :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
A student who comes from a poor ranking school can get a "high ATAR".

However in order to be unaffected by your cohort, it would be best to attain first place rankings for all your subjects.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Yes you can get high ATAR

but it will be a lot easier if you do move
so like, if you can, you prolly should

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Short answer to your question: Yes, it is very possible.
I've met heaps of students from local public high schools gaining very good marks despite the low ranking of their school. Takes a lot of hard work and determination-- but certainly doable.

D94

HSC
N/A
Are you better than everyone else?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yes you can get high ATAR

but it will be a lot easier if you do move
so like, if you can, you prolly should
What do you mean that if you go to a higher ranked school you can get a better ATAR? You can still get a high ATAR regardless of school. Also there's less pressure to secure fist spot internally (provided that 2nd and 3rd aren't great students)
Short answer to your question: Yes, it is very possible.
I've met heaps of students from local public high schools gaining very good marks despite the low ranking of their school. Takes a lot of hard work and determination-- but certainly doable.
This^. People from not so high ranked schools even state rank and get 99.95 ATARs
ESt hills boys is just as shit
Exactly lmao. I told some dude who went to that school to change to a higher ranked school and then he was like "nah I'll carry my cohort" but ends up choosing standard english smh

Also OP, to anyone who says that you can't get a high ATAR because you go to a low ranked school, you can go tell them to fuck themselves. They're just Mofo's who are ignorant, rude and don't care

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
When it comes to it there are two paths you can take to maximise your atar, since it is possible to get a high atar in low ranking schools and high ranking schools. I wouldn't recommend moving to a school like east hills boys ( trust me , went there in year 7,8 moved Sefton then moving to fort street next year) but instead you can easily get a high atar at Condell Park. The reason would be that you from what I see should have had experience within the school, so you should, in turn, know how they mark and such. This will allow you to plan ahead and optimise your ability for your school and aim for that rank 1 in your subjects. It is possible to get a high atar in a low ranking school all you need is determination and a drive for success within the school. If you were to move to a higher selective school I would only recommend that if you are ACCELERATED 1 or 2 years at tutoring in English maths and all the other subjects you require. As my transition from a low ranking school to that of a selective school was very very hard, since I had to adapt to the schools teaching methods and such. It took me 6 months to get a grasp of it and it seems you don't have the luxury I had in terms of time. The benefits of moving to a higher academic school are probably cohort scaling but that doesn't really come into effect if you don't keep up with the cohorts ability. So in my opinion school doesn't really matter when it comes to it, instead, rankings are what determines your atar. Either way, you need to have the dedication and determination to pushing yourself to achieve academic success in both situations. But I recommend you stay at Condell park if you aren't used to moving schools since you can strive better and achieve that high atar you are aiming for :) Best of luck though on your decision.
You are going to 3 different schools in your 6 years of high school-WTH. Max I heard of is 2

Murk

HSC
Mate the school I'm at is ranked 25, and it's usually below 15.
Pretty much every year we get one kid who gets 60 or below.
The school isn't always important. Sure, we are incredibly academically focused, and it certainly helps, and many of the teachers are nice and great, but what's important is the extra study/tutoring you undertake. a.k.a. the extra effort needed you put in.

I'm doing an Accelerated Geography class, and so I have my HSC for that subject in a year. I put in about 1-2 hours of study AT LEAST every week, and when I have finished the first topic, I plan to do an essay every week until the HSC. It's extra effort like that that can really propel you to first.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure the dude who tops my year of med got 99.25 at a 500+ school.
His twin brother came 3rd or 4th with ~96 and now does med at USyd.

So, it's possible.

OriginalCopy

HSC
I'm pretty sure the dude who tops my year of med got 99.25 at a 500+ school.
His twin brother came 3rd or 4th with ~96 and now does med at USyd.

So, it's possible.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to get into med usyd unless you get an ATAR of 99.95, do amazing in the UMAT and ace the interview- they won't consider you if you have a lower ATAR
I know someone who works at usyd and told me abt this.

In regards to getting a high ATAR, in a school that isn't ranked that well, it is possible because the school's rank doesn't effect the ATAR at all...it's the cohort in the whole of NSW that effects your ATAR.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It's IMPOSSIBLE to get into med usyd unless you get an ATAR of 99.95, do amazing in the UMAT and ace the interview- they won't consider you if you have a lower ATAR

In regards to getting a high ATAR, in a school that isn't ranked that well, it is possible because the school's rank doesn't effect the ATAR at all...it's the cohort in the whole of NSW that effects your ATAR.
You can get in via graduate entry without needing a 99.95 ATAR. The 99.95 requirement is just for those who'll get a spot from high-school leavers. So the person with 96 ATAR at USyd Medicine would probably be from graduate entry.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

USYD doesn't consider UMAT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)