Can Man Utd catch Chelsea in the Premiership? (1 Viewer)

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
First thing's first: I am a Manchester United supporter, and have been for a long time. I'm a real fan; not one who says they support Man U simply because they're the most marketable football club in the world, or because they win everything (not anymore though).

It's been pretty interesting since the start of the New Year. Arsenal are going down (woohoo), Chelsea are slightly faltering (barely won against Rovers and had to settle for a point against City) and United are on top form. Chelsea are currently nine points ahead of United, but there are about...11 or 12 games left I think - anything can happen. Chelsea have to play United at Old Trafford, and also welcome Arsenal at home, and they'll definetly drop points there. I think they can catch them, but it'll be a tough slog.

^___^
HSC
i dont know

Man Utd vs Chelsea, even if Man Utd wins, i will put my money on Chelsea to beat Arsenal, even if they played that game the next day

Unless injuries happen to Drogba,Lampard and Duff happens, i don't see them losing their cutting edge(robben is only an excuse, they can score and create chance without him)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
... said:
i dont know

Man Utd vs Chelsea, even if Man Utd wins, i will put my money on Chelsea to beat Arsenal, even if they played that game the next day

Unless injuries happen to Drogba,Lampard and Duff happens, i don't see them losing their cutting edge(robben is only an excuse, they can score and create chance without him)
sadly, i have to agree with this conclusion that Chelsea will almost definitely win the premiership unless injuries take place to key players such as those listed above. As a Man Utd supporter myself, I just hope that Chelsea do not win the quadruple and are at least restricted to equalling our famous treble.

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
ryan11 said:
First thing's first: I am a Manchester United supporter, and have been for a long time. I'm a real fan; not one who says they support Man U simply because they're the most marketable football club in the world, or because they win everything (not anymore though).

It's been pretty interesting since the start of the New Year. Arsenal are going down (woohoo), Chelsea are slightly faltering (barely won against Rovers and had to settle for a point against City) and United are on top form. Chelsea are currently nine points ahead of United, but there are about...11 or 12 games left I think - anything can happen. Chelsea have to play United at Old Trafford, and also welcome Arsenal at home, and they'll definetly drop points there. I think they can catch them, but it'll be a tough slog.
Aww come on, Chelsea hadn't conceded a goal in what... 8 games? (Not completely sure). A draw against Man City is hardly a significant falter. Man City are awesome, after all (yes, I am a City fan :D).

I don't see United closing the gap (YAY).

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
fine ambiguity said:
Aww come on, Chelsea hadn't conceded a goal in what... 8 games? (Not completely sure). A draw against Man City is hardly a significant falter. Man City are awesome, after all (yes, I am a City fan :D).

I don't see United closing the gap (YAY).
But Utd hadn't conceded a goal in eight games either! I think it was a club record for them, I can't remember who they lost the record to, but all the same. Heh, well I reckon it'll be a hard game against City - probs SWP will be a menace, considering he fucked up against the Dutch!

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
He didn't fuck up, stupid Sven not only had him out of position, but then kept /switching/ him around the park (with Rooney, I think? -- my memory is so fallible).

United will concede in the derby, mark my words!! Bwahaha. I hadn't realised that, I tend to ignore anything good United does -- but still, I can't see a) Chelsea dropping 9+ points AS WELL AS United capitalising and gaining 9+ more points than Chelsea. And I don't think Chelsea will necessarily drop points in the two big games, they tend to rise to occasions -- and for them, a draw against Man U (less so Arsenal) would be a good result.

But yeah, definitely looking forward to the Derby!! Hoping for a replay of last season's 3-1!! :D

matt#1

HSC
N/A
fine ambiguity said:
But yeah, definitely looking forward to the Derby!! Hoping for a replay of last season's 3-1!! :D
That's not going to happen. I predict United to win 3- 0 (Rooney, Giggs, Ronaldo). By the way...if u want to talk soccer, there is a soccer thread in the sport section.

veridis

droog
HSC
well back on topic i think ManUre have a chance of catching chelski. dont think chelski will lose any apart from the MU and Arse games but without robben their attack is piss weak. they'll still have mid dominance and a great def so wont concede many but i think they'll have 4 or 5 draws giving ManUre a definite chance and Arse a chance too if they get their act together

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
ryan11 said:

LOL.
Don't make me laugh.

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3.Man United/Everton

matt#1

HSC
N/A
... said:
as for switching flanks tactic

did u know thats one of the most deadly strategy ever?? :)
I agree....Ronaldo and Giggsy have been using it to awesome effect lately. I think it is so affective becuase the defence have to constantly deal with different players and different situations.

ZabZu

HSC
I reckon Chelsea's draw at home against city really changed some peoples minds regarding Chelsea winning the league. Chelsea is still in the box seat but their draw might have caused their morale to decline. Man City has done bloody well against Chelsea, so far they are the only team to take 4 points from them. If Man Utd want to stay in contention for the title they are going to have to win their derby this wkend.

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
fine ambiguity said:
He didn't fuck up, stupid Sven not only had him out of position, but then kept /switching/ him around the park (with Rooney, I think? -- my memory is so fallible).

United will concede in the derby, mark my words!! Bwahaha. I hadn't realised that, I tend to ignore anything good United does -- but still, I can't see a) Chelsea dropping 9+ points AS WELL AS United capitalising and gaining 9+ more points than Chelsea. And I don't think Chelsea will necessarily drop points in the two big games, they tend to rise to occasions -- and for them, a draw against Man U (less so Arsenal) would be a good result.

Probably. Eriksson did the same thing with Andy Johnson, playing him out of position. Man, England are going nowhere under Sven - time for the sack. Probably United will concede against City, but I can't see them being United at this stage.

^___^
HSC
i don't blame Sven for this time

cos thing is, ppl critise him for being conservative, now he tries something new, ppl just keep having a go at him

he had to play players out of position in this match too..SWP can play on the left flank, just that his nerve got to him and the switching of the flank tactic didn't work well

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
Mmm...maybe. I think that friendlies are good for experimentation and finding a good balance, but alot of England fans are annoyed that England aren't achieving what they should be achieving - World Cups, Euros etc. Rooney, SWP, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand and all the other players - what a team! The draw against Holland gives the fans an excuse to put further crap onto Sven, when he should be delivering the goods.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
no

(i only say that 2 jinx them all:p)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Flank switching is a good tactic only when the players are good enough to do it. There's not a lot of point in trying to get players to switch flanks when they're out and out strikers really. In reply to the original question, Chelsea will win the Premiership and the FA Cup. They'll lose the UCL and the Carling Cup to Liverpool :p

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
Manchester United can definitely catch up to Chelsea. Everyone says they are not as good as they use to be and Alex Ferguson is past it. They seem to forget about the FA cup semi last year defeating league leaders Arsenal. The Media seems to be against Manchester United.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)