Can my sister do HSC at the age of 9? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Please don't worry about here social life, she's very popular with classmates, teacher and parents.

That's for all your kind advice. Especially Makematics for advising on the HSC and school.

Have a good night and good luck on your HSC.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
She's done Stewart's precalculus and calculus:early transcendentals. Which makes HSC 4U look like child's play. My dad taught her.

There are kids at her age that can pass Piano level 10 or something, which pisses my parents off because no one in our family play instruments, guess he made that up in maths and language. And I was more a of disappointment, which again pissed them off more.

Another option is, to send her to the States and sit for the SAT and hopefully get into one of the Ivy leagues. She wants to become an investment banker at one of the Bulge Brackets.
Well good luck getting accepted into a university without finishing high school first And GL sending her to another country without having a legal guardian. She can sit for the SAT's already in Australia, you can take the test in many parts of the world.

Sure she can be a prodigy, but you don't want her to end up like Ted Kaczynski. There's a reason why governments try to prevent smart kids from overstepping their social bounds: lot's have to do with being unable to socialize with older students or be subject to bullying. Sure she might be friendly and sociable with people HER age, but it might not workout when she's hanging out with people 5 years older than her in a class setting.

I'm pretty sure this thread has to be a troll, who the fuck would post such shit for advice on an internet forum. Contact the board of education and see what they say.

db94

HSC
Well this is fucked?

study, study, study....interview time: "So what have you accomplished?" ..."My HSC at the age of 10...."

seems great on paper, but in reality its dumb, there is something that is called life skills, they dont teach you that, you pick it up along the way.
your dad might be able to tutor for maths but who will tutor her how to communicate? make friends and enjoy life?

I take it your parents are them cougar parents...99%? okay what happened to the other 1%??!?!?! type of people...
+1 businesses don't give a shit about atar compared to other things. If anything they'd be reluctant to hire her because she has had no social life and would have next to nothing, communication skills. Business (finance and accounting) is more than just good marks. When gunning for partner at a firm, who are they gonna take: the kid who graduated high school at 9 or 10 and got great marks or the guy who has brought massive amounts of business to the firm through more clients due to his great communication skills and hard work in the office. Life isnt a maths equation

CloudDeter

HSC
Not sure if serious or troll, but I will answer anyway. I'm not sure whether the Board Of Studies would actually allow a 9 year old to do the HSC for one thing. Also she would be under the legal age after getting out of school, not to mention that most people her age would be still in school. I think that this is crazy.

Have you actually asked her if she wants to do the HSC at this age? Without people around her being similar ages?

Sure she can be a prodigy, but you don't want her to end up like Ted Kaczynski. There's a reason why governments try to prevent smart kids from overstepping their social bounds: lot's have to do with being unable to socialize with older students or be subject to bullying. Sure she might be friendly and sociable with people HER age, but it might not workout when she's hanging out with people 5 years older than her in a class setting.

I'm pretty sure this thread has to be a troll, who the fuck would post such shit for advice on an internet forum. Contact the board of education and see what they say.
Have to agree with this post. We're not all professionals here so you should seriously consult someone from the Department of Education and Communities or the Board of Studies.

I think the point that most people are trying to make is that she's growing up too fast. Why would you want to miss out on all the childhood fun while your young? It's in her best interests to go to school with other people of her age.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if serious or troll, but I will answer anyway. I'm not sure whether the Board Of Studies would actually allow a 9 year old to do the HSC for one thing. Also she would be under the legal age after getting out of school, not to mention that most people her age would be still in school. I think that this is crazy.

Have you actually asked her if she wants to do the HSC at this age? Without people around her being similar ages?

Have to agree with this post. We're not all professionals here so you should seriously consult someone from the Department of Education and Communities or the Board of Studies.

I think the point that most people are trying to make is that she's growing up too fast. Why would you want to miss out on all the childhood fun while your young? It's in her best interests to go to school with other people of her age.
+1.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Your sister sounds like the dream child of my mother. I'm still being hounded for not having started my own multi-million dollar business yet, and constantly reminded of how slow I am with uni not taking extra subjects in my semesters and holiday breaks.

In all seriousness though, your family "situation" is an extreme case of conditioning; so extreme you fail to see that it for what it really is. Dystopian fiction writers would have a ball with your family. Being drilled from your childhood does not mean you suddenly know everything you and your sister wants just because there is only one thing you guys have been conditioned in the direction of (in this case investment banking). How much does she know of the other millions of jobs in the world? Or does she only know that investment banking rakes in millions of dollars?

You may be an exceptionally bright family academically but what other people are saying here extends beyond basic friends and teachers at school - she needs to be able to handle herself with other people of all age groups and communicate beyond mathematic algorithms. There is a thing in the world called "emotional intelligence" which she needs to develop before entering the business world. At 9, this is impossible. At least wait until she goes through the bulk of puberty to develop as a human being before throwing her into HSC. She's obviously capable of finishing it early, but just because she can doesn't mean it's a genius idea.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
i think it's paramount that your sister do the hsc next year and graduate from her degree within the two years after that or statistically she is likely to be a complete failure at life like everyone else who completes their hsc at a double digit age

enoilgam

HSC
Guys, can we please keep the conversation on topic. Even if the OP is trolling, I still believe that this can lead to some interesting discussion. After all, child prodigies do exist.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Assuming that OP is serious

I think your sister is capable of doing the HSC at the age of 9.

Whether it would be beneficial in aspects other than her academic life would be another question.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
No she does not. That's what you think.
+1, let her stay in school until she's mature enough to decide what she wants to do with her life. If you work until you're 65 it's worth waiting three or four more years at high school to spend the next 50 doing something you actually have passion for over something you chose as a child to please your father.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
+1, let her stay in school until she's mature enough to decide what she wants to do with her life. If you work until you're 65 it's worth waiting three or four more years at high school to spend the next 50 doing something you actually have passion for over something you chose as a child to please your father.
The other side of the coin is that this kid will be bored with the school work she's doing and schooling will just be a waste of time. Think of it like for some reason you'd have to go back and do year 8 again. It will be a waste of time wouldn't it? There was a kid at my school who skipped 2 grades, did well academically now he's in UCLA but on the social aspect... he's a little turd.

Of course parents are going to decide what their kid should do in the future. It's just part of parenting. She's 9 of course she doesn't know what to do with her future. Child prodigies like her usually don't go work in the private sector, but rather become academics for life.

Why don't you sign your sister up for mensa then?

Hila

HSC
Okay I agree with what other people have said!! Troll. But for the sake of discussion OP what about English? Even though she did the IELTS at that young age I can't image a nine year old managing to write band six quality essays. I don’t know what those other tests she did involved but before I dropped the language I was doing for the HSC we were required to analyse things in that language but write our response English and do the whole technique-effect thing. Thus, English is a huge component of taking a language in the HSC even if she is amazing at Japanese and Chinese.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Okay I agree with what other people have said!! Troll. But for the sake of discussion OP what about English? Even though she did the IELTS at that young age I can't image a nine year old managing to write band six quality essays. I don’t know what those other tests she did involved but before I dropped the language I was doing for the HSC we were required to analyse things in that language but write our response English and do the whole technique-effect thing. Thus, English is a huge component of taking a language in the HSC even if she is amazing at Japanese and Chinese.
but why does she need to take the ielts. that's one part that made me go "wat" if she studies in aussie lol. IELTs is a migration based language test for people coming in for work or uni from a non-english background. And they usually don't let kids take it in the first place because they don't need it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My concern would be the sheer physical requirements of writing a three-hour exam for a 9 year old - their hands haven't developed fully enough to write for that long and to write enough.

I would think that a pathways approach would be better - take 5 years and do one course a year - while developing socially with kids her own age. She would still finish the HSC aged about 15 (has to do Preliminary for each course which is why it would take 6 years my way) and she would have a much better idea of what she wants to do as well has the opportunity to do more courses - and meeting the required subjects that she has to do as well e.g. History and Geography in Years 7 - 10.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
My concern would be the sheer physical requirements of writing a three-hour exam for a 9 year old - their hands haven't developed fully enough to write for that long and to write enough.
Ever been to Asia?

Emily Howard

HSC
u guys are all fuckwits go to asia see wat happens dere

hayabusaboston

HSC
The other side of the coin is that this kid will be bored with the school work she's doing and schooling will just be a waste of time. Think of it like for some reason you'd have to go back and do year 8 again. It will be a waste of time wouldn't it? There was a kid at my school who skipped 2 grades, did well academically now he's in UCLA but on the social aspect... he's a little turd.

Of course parents are going to decide what their kid should do in the future. It's just part of parenting. She's 9 of course she doesn't know what to do with her future. Child prodigies like her usually don't go work in the private sector, but rather become academics for life.

Why don't you sign your sister up for mensa then?
<3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)