Carbon Tax Repealed (1 Viewer)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Carbon tax is no more.

Repeal bills just passed the Senate 39-32.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
ah yes. now i'll see the MASSIVE saving that I've been promised on my next energy bill right? RIGHT GUYS?!

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Industries that are energy intensive will have lower costs >> lower costs of consumers :p

The overall impact would be greater than 200 dollars

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Pity, was useful as a current example of economic policy for environmental sustainability :( in economic (hsc)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ohh wow. but was it really worth it to introduce it in the first place? they wasted a lot of money marketing it and then all that only to get rid of it in the end
The economics of it are really only a secondary issue. Anything purely quantifiable misses the point.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Pity, was useful as a current example of economic policy for environmental sustainability :( in economic (hsc)
couldn't you still talk about the benefit of it but then politics got in the way and then it got scrapped? I know in legal studies the markers are almost impressed if you know the name of a repealed law

The economics of it are really only a secondary issue. Anything purely quantifiable misses the point.
what a sad world we live in :(

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
couldn't you still talk about the benefit of it but then politics got in the way and then it got scrapped? I know in legal studies the markers are almost impressed if you know the name of a repealed law

what a sad world we live in :(

Thats the plan :p

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Only $200?! Tonez promised $550 a year!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...one-a-selection-of-the-cheers-jeers-and-fears

While I think the carbon tax was a mess it was step towards the right direction. An ETS would have been effective but at the time the EU's ETS wasn't exactly the best model. With the carbon tax repealed, its worrisome that the uptake of renewable sources of energy will be slowed down. Queensland has made great progress in adopting renewable sources of energy and the result has been lower energy prices.

It will be interesting to see whether the PUP will push for an ETS or will they be the lapdogs of NLP. His causing a lot of uncertainty for the NLP but only the outcomes matter. The carbon tax was going to transfer to an ETS next year so I guess the NLP didn't really want to wait 12 months for a free market solution driven by demand and supply?

And as someone that actually pays the household electricity bill, I would happily pay $200 a year so that the world will have a future and our current and future generations will have a reasonable and acceptable climate to live and work in.

Also, nothing more irritating than a leader within the government grinning and making bullshit remarks such as

“You look at the weather today. Look at the way you’re dressed. No one thinks it’s too hot. For many people it’s a question of how much can they afford. I’m glad the carbon tax has been repealed. I know the Australian Greens are upset by that. I don’t think that a unilateral action of the biggest carbon price in the world was going to do anything other than ... make people poorer. I believe there is climate change happening. I just don’t believe we’re going to change it with a broad-based consumption tax." - Barnaby Joyce
Sadly we don't live in a vacuum and seasons do change. Within 6 months people will be like why the hell is it hotter and hotter every year? Why are their more bush fires than usual? Why is price of food rising? Also giving $200 ain't going to help the people that much when you're taking more from them. Don't like a consumption tax? yea no probs, you could have waited another 12 months and migrated to an ETS.

Le sigh.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Only $200?! Tonez promised $550 a year!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...one-a-selection-of-the-cheers-jeers-and-fears

While I think the carbon tax was a mess it was step towards the right direction. An ETS would have been effective but at the time the EU's ETS wasn't exactly the best model. With the carbon tax repealed, its worrisome that the uptake of renewable sources of energy will be slowed down. Queensland has made great progress in adopting renewable sources of energy and the result has been lower energy prices.

It will be interesting to see whether the PUP will push for an ETS or will they be the lapdogs of NLP. His causing a lot of uncertainty for the NLP but only the outcomes matter. The carbon tax was going to transfer to an ETS next year so I guess the NLP didn't really want to wait 12 months for a free market solution driven by demand and supply?

And as someone that actually pays the household electricity bill, I would happily pay $200 a year so that the world will have a future and our current and future generations will have a reasonable and acceptable climate to live and work in.

Also, nothing more irritating than a leader within the government grinning and making bullshit remarks such as

Sadly we don't live in a vacuum and seasons do change. Within 6 months people will be like why the hell is it hotter and hotter every year? Why are their more bush fires than usual? Why is price of food rising? Also giving $200 ain't going to help the people that much when you're taking more from them. Don't like a consumption tax? yea no probs, you could have waited another 12 months and migrated to an ETS.

Le sigh.
The $550 accounts for electricity bills (with gas separate from that calculation) and the carbon components of other goods.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
meh, it's better than generating $900 dollars from thin air, for every taxpayer... (come to think about it, no it's not, Tony Abbott needs to print some cash for votes!!!)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Shocked by the amount we save by repealing the carbon tax. I would've thought it would be higher after all the commotion caused in the news and society. Guess not huh?

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
lol, carbon tax won't help a bit for the enviroment.... and were like the 0.001% of polluters... so its stupid... if we told china to have a carbon tax, they will most likely laugh at us

so bye bye carbon tax....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)