Career options with Maths? (2 Viewers)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Really? I'd respond with ultra hard tests and assessments designed to break their will to live. =P
It happens at my school. The teacher who sets our papers is such a troll.
I got my 4U paper back and when I saw 47.5/72 I was like ;( .
But then I learnt the median mark was 41 I was like ^___^.
And considering 50% get E4s each year...tells you what a ridiculous test it was.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If all else fails: lecturer and/or tutor. =P
You can't be lecturer unless you are quite accomplished in maths!

Maths by itself has little openings. Maybe I'm wrong. What career path is there for a graduate in maths, apart from teaching maths? Do you know of any maths graduate with a great job involving maths directly?

HSC
Uni Grad
Pure maths is maths for the sake of maths. It gets pretty ??? pretty quickly, I hear. But you get to choose your major in like 2nd or 3rd year and you'll have some inkling of all three areas of maths so you can switch majors.
hmm yeah perhaps if pure is too hard, then I may change to statistics or applied or another specialization.

btw I had tutoring today, my tutor told me he would offer me a job at his place if I got 95 for MX2 -> motivation for me right there xD

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Maths by itself has little openings. Maybe I'm wrong. What career path is there for a graduate in maths, apart from teaching maths? Do you know of any maths graduate with a great job involving maths directly?
Applied mathematicians can go into mathematical modelling jobs - and that's varied from modelling fuel use in an airplane to figuring out the perfect melt-in-your-mouth chocolate ratio. Statisticians can get jobs lots of places - like at the Bureau of Statistics. Pure mathematicians... well, that's quite interesting actually because I was surfing the internet when I found this page: http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~mike/PURE/JOBS.html

Some of the more interesting parts:

The only evidence we know of suggests that Pure Mathematicians do better than Computer scientists, Engineers, Statisticians or Applied Mathematicians at finding work.
It is said that IBM prefers, all other things being equal, to hiring Pure Mathematicians to Computer Scientists. ... some of the best Computer Scientists have degrees in Pure Mathematics.
Don't forget the joke:
The Physics graduate asks `Why is this so?'
The Mathematics graduate asks `What is going on here?'
The Engineering graduate asks `How does this work?'
The Commerce graduate asks `How much does this cost?'
while the Arts graduate asks:
`Do you want fries with that?'
The Pure Mathematics graduate has all the strengths of the arts graduate although he or she may not spend so long in the coffee shop. And the Pure Mathematics graduate is SMART. This is widely recognised.

Students are often surprised to discover that the world outside doesn't care so much about what you know, but more about whether you have practised clear thinking. And Pure Mathematics is very much about clarity, and understanding why things are the way they are, and much less about merely knowing formulae and rules.

So the answer appears to be that Pure Mathematicians are highly regarded wherever an active. clear mind is wanted. Which minds are in very short supply.

In doing Pure Mathematics, you will learn the ways of thinking which have produced the most advanced software, you will learn the ideas beind computer graphics, behind theoretical physics, behind modern information engineering. So the stuff is useful, and you will get to play with powerful computers and construct algorithms. But more important to the world of industry and business is that you will have learnt to be clear, precise and succinct, you will have learnt how to learn.

Whether you will get rich is up to you; but the chances are good that you will have a job, and an interesting one which you enjoy.

Desire to do Pure Maths +9999999999999999

Why do you think people do it? Not cos it's damn interesting...
I find it interesting - but I'm not doing it because it's ???

funnytomato

HSC

stop stereotyping them
our last P M studied arts, except for he got backstabbed...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

stop stereotyping them
our last P M studied arts, except for he got backstabbed...
It's a joke, as in 'haha funny' and not as in 'time to get the pitchfork out and purge the infidels'

HSC
Uni Grad
Applied mathematicians can go into mathematical modelling jobs - and that's varied from modelling fuel use in an airplane to figuring out the perfect melt-in-your-mouth chocolate ratio. Statisticians can get jobs lots of places - like at the Bureau of Statistics. Pure mathematicians... well, that's quite interesting actually because I was surfing the internet when I found this page: http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~mike/PURE/JOBS.html

Some of the more interesting parts:

Desire to do Pure Maths +9999999999999999

I find it interesting - but I'm not doing it because it's ???
I wish I could rep your post :(

kfnmpah

HSC

this is true, and sucks. we have a maths lecturer at uncle, IAN BENN AKA GANDALF (you shall not pass) who is a genius at maths, but cannot teach to save himself.

also, there's nothing wrong with being a maths teacher. I'm passionate about maths and can't wait to get into a class room and help kids who aren't interested/think they are bad at maths realise that they can do it and that if maths didn't exist everyone would die and the world would explode.

funnytomato

HSC
also, there's nothing wrong with being a maths teacher. I'm passionate about maths and can't wait to get into a class room and help kids who aren't interested/think they are bad at maths realise that they can do it and that if maths didn't exist everyone would die and the world would explode.
Miss, thanks for saving us

Garde

HSC
I work with a lot of mathematicians who are great engineers/programmers.

A brilliant mathematician friend of mine works with financial statistics.

My mother in law was an awesome math teacher for 30 years.

:)

Just pick up some secondary skills along the way and you should have plenty of technical and teaching options

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.343452,17.812427

HSC
Uni Grad
this is true, and sucks. we have a maths lecturer at uncle, IAN BENN AKA GANDALF (you shall not pass) who is a genius at maths, but cannot teach to save himself.

I want to do the same, that's if I drop out of actuarial though. nevertheless I still want to be a maths tutor from next year onwards :)

HSC
Uni Grad
lolllll hahaha

I would strongly suggest Engineering or Architecture :) Very enjoyable careers.
strongbump/10.

but now reading this a year later, it really reminds me of what my choices were.

now im even thinking of switching to maths major if i drop commerce

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Make sure you're strong at maths because I can assure you everyone feels like dying in second year maths. It's a very high step up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)