Career options with Maths? (5 Viewers)

seanieg89

HSC
My point is that most jobs that use mathematics aren't labelled "Mathematician". They're labelled other things like risk analyst or whatever.

You say 'economist' and people understand. Same thing for physicists and chemists. You say mathematician, and that doesn't exactly make as much sense as the others. You'd usually have to clarify.
Risk analyst is a completely different profession that happens to use mathematics and statistics. Using the word mathematician to describe a risk analyst is like using the word physicist to describe a mechanical engineer.

Mathematician = researcher in mathematics (without further information).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Fine, risk analyst was a bad example.

My point is - again - there is no job called 'mathematician'.

Yes, you're probably going to find a counter example where someone lists for a 'mathematician' - but my point is that there is no general job that is called 'mathematician', unlike 'economist' or 'physicist'. Unlike 'physicist' having connotations of research, I don't feel 'mathematician' has connotations of research.

What you consider "mathematician" is as you said, is a researcher. But for the 99% of the population who don't have maths degrees, and for me as well, if you say you're a 'mathematician' - I'm going to ask to clarify, because to me, I don't recognise that as a 'job title'; and to others, they'll have no idea what you mean.

seanieg89

HSC
Whatever, it is not an important issue. I am done here.

ismeta

HSC
Hi, I'm very likely doing a double degree in Applied Mathematics/Computer Science in university next year. I was wondering where that could take me, in terms of a career?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
But a lot of Actuaries, not so much anymore, have plain of maffs degrees, and just did the IAA exams, and became associates and fellows.
How true is this?

(i'm don't mean to be antagonistic, just curious)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi, I'm very likely doing a double degree in Applied Mathematics/Computer Science in university next year. I was wondering where that could take me, in terms of a career?
Mathematical modelling. Applied and comp sciences - assuming the latter is like programming, that pretty much sets you up perfectly for mathematical modelling.

Really, maths is a skill. You can do tons of things with it.

NWO

HSC
chinese maths teacher at ur own school XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)