Casio 82ES allowed in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Hi,

Recently started doing logarithms in class (Grade 10) and found my calculator had a button everyone didn't have, which is to select the base for a log whereas everyone else only had logarithm to the base of 10(82AU) . Asked my teacher about this and she said that the calculator might be illegal in the HSC. Checked the legal calculators in the HSC and 82ES wasn't listed.

So is it legal or not?

mreditor16

HSC
is it a new calc? if so, BOS might approve it later on
astroman raises a valid point. BOSTES are constantly updating this list - so you never know, but to be on the safe side, go out and buy a new calculator :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There are multiple slight variations on the Fx-82au family for overseas markets which have more features than we get. The best one, 991es iirc, can integrate and do stuff with complex numbers etc.

They all have the same circuitry but have had features intentionally removed, and are not on the permitted calculator lists so yes - they are definetely banned in the hsc for 2/3/4u. But most do look almost identical (991es is different colour and has solar panel though) so it wouldnt surprise me if a lot of people got away with it.

jmoyo

HSC
Just fade the model code a little and the different log button, they'll never know! Plus some of the supervisors are really lazy to even check if you have shit in your pencil case let alone the eligibility of your calculator.

mreditor16

HSC
Just fade the model code a little and the different log button, they'll never know! Plus some of the supervisors are really lazy to even check if you have shit in your pencil case let alone the eligibility of your calculator.
for us, all our maths teachers were let inside, and each had the list with them. and they checked everyone's calculator :O

Lithone

HSC
It actually is illegal, my friend got hers from China and had to get it replaced with the au version cos of the surds and logs thing cos it was an ~unfair advantage~ over everyone else.

If you really wanna get away with it, depends on how strict your school's supervisors are lol

iStudent

HSC
for us, all our maths teachers were let inside, and each had the list with them. and they checked everyone's calculator :O
Then there's my school where the supervisor was like "we trust that you all have the right calculators" and we proceeded without getting them checked. lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Iirc you can get the calculator approved by BOSTES through some other method by sending an e-mail or something but not too sure on how that works and besides you have left this waaaaaaayyy too late to do that right now. I suggest you use a friend's 82AU if they have a spare or something or whatever similar calculator you can get your hands on.

Good old fx-82tl has been in my family for over 10 years now and I've been using it myself for about 6 years. Have not needed to change the battery once surprisingly. I probably should change it soon because I don't want it to die on me during an exam :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)