Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Go tell that to the pope. But in German.
Look I don't agree with the concept but it isn't outrageous. Anything so close to the matter of procreation needs to be treated delicately. The idea that a couple who couldn't find a condom decide to risk it and end up raising a son when they would have prevented his very existence without thinking twice if they'd been able to is a little intense you've got to admit.

When the chips are down i'm not anti contraception but its not a clear as day issue and those who have a problem with it certainly shouldn't be written off flippantly as "silly".

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
When the chips are down i'm not anti contraception but its not a clear as day issue and those who have a problem with it certainly shouldn't be written off flippantly as "silly".
I couldn't agree more. It shouldn't be written off flippantly as "silly", for it is much, much more serious than that. When the chips are down, as is the case in Africa, stating that using condoms is wrong (full stop) isn't just "silly"; it's downright irresponsible, as is the prevention of their distribution. You say that the Government has better things to do with their money? Better things to do than saving lives? An example, please.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

How does Africa not constitute "Chips are down".

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
All of you,
take off your pants

Lentern

HSC
How does Africa not constitute "Chips are down".
They are down, that's why although I sympathise Rome's arguement I ultimately side against it.
I couldn't agree more. It shouldn't be written off flippantly as "silly", for it is much, much more serious than that. When the chips are down, as is the case in Africa, stating that using condoms is wrong (full stop) isn't just "silly"; it's downright irresponsible, as is the prevention of their distribution. You say that the Government has better things to do with their money? Better things to do than saving lives? An example, please.
I think people starving to death is a bigger issue than people who have contracted aids through decisions of their own. I think proctecting the victims of groups like the Lords Resistance Army is better use of the money, I think fixing water contamination is a better use of money. I think the relocation of asylum seekers and IDP's whose lives are still at grave risk is a better use of the money. And a part of me even says removing from power people like Robert Mugabe is a better use of the money although Iraq indicates otherwise.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lentern: the occasional Catholic

Lentern

HSC
Lentern: the occasional Catholic
Your God is a nothing God

Is a mealy mouthed God

Is a weak arsed God

My God is a really tough God

Is a straight line God

Is a good ole boy

Your God drinks peach nectar

Eats boiled fruit

Can't fart out loud
My God arm wrestled Khruschev

Eats meat, farts with pride

Hey, Hey

Commies for Christ

Hammers and sickles and the word's not flesh - it's steel

Commies for Christ

'Cos he's the man that carved the lamb - and made us feel

Commies for Christ

I'm having a sexual fling with a red under my bed

Commies for Christ

Drank too much altar wine, it's gone straight to my head

Take Marx, take Christ, take drugs

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I think people starving to death is a bigger issue than people who have contracted aids through decisions of their own. I think proctecting the victims of groups like the Lords Resistance Army is better use of the money, I think fixing water contamination is a better use of money. I think the relocation of asylum seekers and IDP's whose lives are still at grave risk is a better use of the money. And a part of me even says removing from power people like Robert Mugabe is a better use of the money although Iraq indicates otherwise.
But the people who are preventing money being spent on providing contraception to 3rd world countries aren't doing it because there are better places to put it, they're doing it for ideological reasons. Instead of contraception, they want to fund programs promoting abstinence in their home countries, prayer in public schools, and other non-secular, radical programs. I'm talking about America here, by the way.

Lentern

HSC
But the people who are preventing money being spent on providing contraception to 3rd world countries aren't doing it because there are better places to put it, they're doing it for ideological reasons. Instead of contraception, they want to fund programs promoting abstinence in their home countries, prayer in public schools, and other non-secular, radical programs. I'm talking about America here, by the way.
School prayer would cost spare change to implement, that aint where foreign aid money's going. And here is my defence of the church: There are ideological issues with contraception. There are other ways the money could be spent doing as much if not more good than contraception, there is no theological quandary with using these methods, if you're going to say these people must give x amount of the money they worked hard to earn to a worthwhile charity then it isn't so terrible that it be made to one that doesn't form a quandary like feeding starving people.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
i'm sure someone's mentioned this already, but what the hell? most africans are either muslim or protestant.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Batshit insane catholic vs. Giant Douche catholic.

GOGOGOGOGOGO!

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
School prayer would cost spare change to implement, that aint where foreign aid money's going. And here is my defence of the church: There are ideological issues with contraception. There are other ways the money could be spent doing as much if not more good than contraception, there is no theological quandary with using these methods, if you're going to say these people must give x amount of the money they worked hard to earn to a worthwhile charity then it isn't so terrible that it be made to one that doesn't form a quandary like feeding starving people.
Even if preventing the distribution of condoms is for the good (not being sarcastic), it still as a negative impact of the magnitude of Aids in Africa. We're not talking about the motive behind influencing the epidemic in such a way, or the positive repercusions doing it, we're talking about whether or not the Catholic Church has done things which negatively influence the magnitude of AIDs in Africa, which they do. You can justify them doing it all you want, and I'll accept some of your justifications as legitimate, but that doesn't change the fact that they did do it.

Took me a while to find figures, but approximately 15% of Africa is Catholic. That's approximately 150 million Africans, all listening with rapted attention to the words of the Pope.
Roman Catholicism by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I expect many more Africans than just the "Catholic population of Africa" look to the Church for moral guidance.

PS: It took you a while to find the figures? Maybe you should have started with Wikipedia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)