Changing preferences and vancancies (1 Viewer)

GRNTGR

HSC
Hi,
Recently I wanted to change my course, fearing the offer isn't what I expected it to be. I looked at the Main Round vacancies and it seems that the course I want to get into (B Design at UNSW) doesn't have an V beside it, did I miss out? Or could I still have a chance?
And on the side note, another option I also placed as a preference say that I must have assumed knowledge of Maths Ext 1. I did do Maths Ext 1 but can't say I particularly do well (About 65%), will this be a problem? I kinda feel nervous asking on a forum where most of the people have above 90 ATAR :S

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hey.

I've been trying to figure out my options for late round too. I called UNSW regarding their B Design degree and apparently there will be some late round offers released, despite no vacancies being listed (I don't understand, but that's what the admin staff told me.) Mind you, ATAR cut-offs seem to sky-rocket in the late round so I can't guarantee you'll get in, even if you are above the published ATAR. But yes, you still have a chance!

As for your Ex 1 point. Hm, you should be ok, at least you have a grasp of and familiarity with the content areas that were studied. Maybe if you do get into that degree, set aside a week or 2 before uni and go over some of the topics as a refresher? I know that seems lame but you don't want to get in there and feel overwhelmed, because university moves SO much faster than high school, and if you can't keep up it's harder to seek help. What's the degree, may I ask? I have a friend who did an engineering degree and the assumed knowledge was ex 1 maths but he didn't do it in high school. So he just did basic maths in first semester, which didn't credit towards his degree, but then moved on to the advanced maths and completed it in summer school. So there's always that option, if it's possible with your uni.

Either way, good luck in the late round :)

D94

HSC
N/A
And on the side note, another option I also placed as a preference say that I must have assumed knowledge of Maths Ext 1. I did do Maths Ext 1 but can't say I particularly do well (About 65%), will this be a problem? I kinda feel nervous asking on a forum where most of the people have above 90 ATAR :S
This might be a slight problem if that's for engineering or a degree with maths as a core subject. I think you know how that mark of 65 went in comparison to the state (going by the 2011 course report), so you'll most likely want to go over the whole course just to be on par with higher achieving maths students in your potential degree.

GRNTGR

HSC
The other course that involves Maths Ext was Computer Science/Graphic Design at UNSW if I recall correctly. And I don't mind setting a couple of weeks studying for maths, might the only problem being is finding source to help me understand some harder areas. Might resort to revisiting my High School to talk with my math teacher or some classmates that I've not spoken to since my formal.

bakkarinfo

HSC
i wont understand which course i take. im under pressure but wont take decision.i wnt some sujjestion what shuld i do???

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
One way that vacancies appear on later rounds is because some people made an offer in the first round don't accept that offer - so their place becomes available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)