• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Changing subject at the start of Year 11? (1 Viewer)

ST2010

HSC
Hi everyone im new here,

I just want to know urgently, if you can change your hsc subject selections at the beginning of this school year, I am year 10 turning year 11 this year and we made our choices before but now i changed my mind and want to change one subject.. hopefully from engineers to business studies

Rainie

HSC
You can. 100% sure. I did two weeks of a subject, found I didn't like it and changed :).

The beginning of Year 11 is just like trial and error. Nothing to be worried much about =)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yes you should be able to even though it depends on the school...

I changed 3 subjects at the start.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Yeah - they generally won't be too happy, but they should let you change.
Depending on the school - you might have a set period where you can change - for example with mine it was the first two weeks or something.

I dropped Extension English and Studies of Religion II without any major hassles, so I'd expect you'll be able to drop with no hassles.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My school allows you to change from any subject to another (as long as they are on the same selection lines). I would give the Engineering a try first to see if you really like it or not. If you don't, see your subjects advisor/teacher or KLA Co-ordinator :D

Have fun in year 11 :)

h3ll h0und

HSC
im having the same problem....i mite change from biology to economics ... but im not sure..... do u need to put in more effort into biology or economics to get a good result?

bored.of.u

HSC
h3ll h0und said:
im having the same problem....i mite change from biology to economics ... but im not sure..... do u need to put in more effort into biology or economics to get a good result?
which has the better scaling?

HSC
h3ll h0und said:
Yeah i'm also having the same problem. I have myself put down for economics atm but i'm not sure about it so I may change to ancient history. Do I change it before having my first economics class or do I give it a few days and see whether I like it?

Rainie

HSC
Give it a few days, like maybe one or two weeks. Second option is to see both syllabuses and see which one you'd prefer.

didier91

HSC
1.Yes you can change, although really consider if you want to do Business Studies.

2. To the other question, Economics is more difficult than Bio and also scales significantly better.

To give you an idea of comparison :

Bio= Business

Phys/Chem= Economics

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
didier91 said:
1.Yes you can change, although really consider if you want to do Business Studies.

2. To the other question, Economics is more difficult than Bio and also scales significantly better.

To give you an idea of comparison :

Bio= Business

Phys/Chem= Economics
Your statistics is quite incorrect. And whether Economics is more difficult than Bio or not depends on individuals.

Bio > Business by fair bit

Physics < Economics < Chemistry

You have to note that scaling of the subject =/= difficulty of the course.

Rather, scaling = calibre of the student in the course.

Last edited:

bored.of.u

HSC
lyounamu said:
Your statistics is quite incorrect. And whether Economics is more difficult than Bio or not depends on individuals.

Bio > Business by fair bit

Physics < Economics < Chemistry

You have to note that scaling of the subject =/= difficulty of the course.

Rather, scaling = calibre of the student in the course.
lyounamu would u suggest i drop biology and take economics because i've heard scaling is more variable with eco than bio...u have to look at ur ranking in the state with eco rather than bio?

HSC
i have one of the worst subject clashes everrr! no joke.

3 of the subjects i wanted to do were in one line.
out of phys, eco n IPT i ended up choosing phys.

really wanted to do eco but i cant not do phys. bussiness studies will have to do i guess... prob get a bit boring from what ive heard

i also chose bio... nothing else in that line appeals to me. not even bio ugh! only other choice i got is geo. dont mind doing either one and i might change to geo when school starts but still not sure.

so which do you think is better? geo or bio?
i hate the thought of going camping or whatever for the fieldwork!!

we get to go skiing for geo! but sick of geo from yr 7-10!

ohhh... im doing 14u so if i drop bio/geo altogether then i still have 12u.
good idea to drop or not? doin 3 sci anyway so dropping it would take a load off me

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
h3ll h0und said:
you need to put a fair bit of effort into economics to do good as well, you have to do alot of news article reading and a lot of draft essays. However, one the plus side economics theory is relatively easy to understand (if u are a logical, mathematical person)

im not sure how the scaling works, but i assume economics scales higher than biology, because economics involves essay writing and reading atricles (being up to date with news about the world, for example the latest global slowdown and sharemarket crash). Whereas biology is more about who can remember tons of information, all memory and no understanding required. lol, thats why i dropped it!

bored.of.u

HSC
x33.datchick.xx said:

really wanted to do eco but i cant not do phys. bussiness studies will have to do i guess... prob get a bit boring from what ive heard

i also chose bio... nothing else in that line appeals to me. not even bio ugh! only other choice i got is geo. dont mind doing either one and i might change to geo when school starts but still not sure.

good idea to drop or not? doin 3 sci anyway so dropping it would take a load off me
personally i would drop bio, u just need to remember alot of stuff ie u need to have a good memory which i dont have =.=

h3ll h0und

HSC
x33.datchick.xx said:

if it were me id drop geo....becuz im sick of it after doing it in yr 7-10 :(
and i like science x) the fieldwork....is that for the local ecosystem module? id be too lazy gathering information and id prolly get a low mark for any assessments

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Geography has a lower scaling and personally I'd prefer the science :D. Plus in biology you get to do experiments... I love science! :lol:

HSC
bisecting a frog or whatever.... joyyy!
ugghhh

camping/hiking n that crap isnt my thing... 3 sciences is guna get hard tho. esp with 3u maths.

i like chem n phys.. just not bio

scared of doin just 12u tho in case i stuff up or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)