Changing Subjects? (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
Yo, i find this year (yr 11) a bit too hard, the amount of work and time i need to spend to do HW, and stuff is wayy different then Yr 10. This is what I've right now:

Math Extension 1 <---The teacher seriously can't speak english here, wayy too much work. Completing 1 chapter of a book in 1 day is impossible for me. I don't actually learn from him, I learned stuff by myself/online. :angryfire: All the smartest kids for math are here, so they might all stay. I know how to do the questions of course, but the amount of "work", is pretty much like giving up your life on Math. ==''

Advanced English <--- Alright class and teacher...:headbang:
Biology <--- Just started the first lesson, idk about the rest.
Chemistry <---OK
Physics <--- Most of the people in this class is dumb, so i will ace this :headbang:
Legal Studies <--- Im not sure about this one, it is interesting though

I decided I want to change subjects, cuz im really not that confident that I will get 90+ for all of em in Yr 12. And alot of people say that the subjects I choose needs alot of time wasted on studying, and that im gonna be busy for the rest of the 2 years.

TO:

Standard Math <---IMO, 2 unit is a big difference, even though their is still lots of work, the questions seems to be lot easier.
Standard English <--- Im not sure about this one, I failed so hard last year even though Im in the top class, last year, the teacher says i should do advanced but idk man...

Biology )
Chemistry)
Physics) --------------Keeping these 4.
Legal Studies)

what do you guys, think? any opinions or options would be great

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Why are you quitting after just 2/3 days? And standard English is known to be an atarslayer lol. Just saying?

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
For the love of God, do not drop to standard english.

YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR ATAR

tonynho

HSC
You might as well say goodbye to a good ATAR if you drop to Standard English.

Aysce

HSC
why and how? ==''
It's very hard to attain a band 6 due to its poor aligning (and scaling according to Riproot iirc) and generally the standard cohorts are quite terrible. Seriously, don't do it.

k-pham

HSC
Uni Grad
its because since general English is considered easier than Advanced English so the BOS markers are reluctant to give away marks more easier and thus it harder to get higher bands and the scaling of the subject is also much lower. just don't give up and work harder yr 11 is meant to be harder than yr10 dont give in some more extra time and the study will pay off.

enoilgam

HSC
Due to the nature of standard, it makes it extremely difficult to get a band 6 or even a band 5 in the subject. So I would stick with Advanced. As for the rest of your subjects, I would wait a bit more and give it some time. You have only just started year 11 so you dont really have the best perspective on what each subject entails at this point as well as what you are strongest/weakest in.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Keep your options open, because doing 3 sciences makes me mad, love chem / phys but bio gives me a headache not because its hard just because of teacher and having to study units and units of science can become an uphill battle imo

Rohanco

HSC
Everyone else here has said it, please keep Advanced English. I know how you feel, It's the last subject you feel like putting work in for at the end of a long day, but just spend a couple of hours on it every now and then, pay someone to have a look at your essays before you hand in important assessments, the work will pay off. And as for your level of Maths, did you say you wanted to drop to General? I dropped to general and it was IMO the best y12 decision I made, but you're doing Science subjects so wouldn't it be smarter to drop just to 2u rather than General?

Aysce

HSC
Also, i think it's best to keep 3u for now until the end of the year. I mean it's only been 2-3 days and you're already deciding what to drop without giving it a proper chance which in my opinion is very stupid. And don't be turned off by the amount of work - man up because it's either adapt or die.

(I'm not having a go at you just to make that clear)

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me, if you develop a good relationship with your English teacher early on they will help you out so much, and you will be a lot better at it. I found the jump from yr10-11 a little hard, but it wasnt completely unexpected either. This will make me sound like a douche, but I came 9th in English in yr9. I got a new teacher year 10 and got on really well. Moved up to 5th place by the end of yr10. In yr11 I got the HT of English, and in advanced and extension 1 I got 2nd place for yr11. As for yr 12, i came first in our first assessment task for advanced, 2nd in extension 1 and am steadily completing my major work. The teacher makes a big difference, and they put the good ones on the advanced classes, so stick to advanced, apart from the obvious atar reasons.

As for maths, you should be doing at least 30min of maths every weeknight to keep up with extension 1. I assume every lesson your teacher does the theory with you, 1-4 examples depending on the topic and then set an exercise to complete. If you stick your head down in class and so the work, a little homework every night is easy, just make it routine.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yo, i find this year (yr 11) a bit too hard, the amount of work and time i need to spend to do HW, and stuff is wayy different then Yr 10. This is what I've right now:

Math Extension 1 <---The teacher seriously can't speak english here, wayy too much work. Completing 1 chapter of a book in 1 day is impossible for me. I don't actually learn from him, I learned stuff by myself/online. :angryfire: All the smartest kids for math are here, so they might all stay. I know how to do the questions of course, but the amount of "work", is pretty much like giving up your life on Math. ==''

Advanced English <--- Alright class and teacher...:headbang:
Biology <--- Just started the first lesson, idk about the rest.
Chemistry <---OK
Physics <--- Most of the people in this class is dumb, so i will ace this :headbang:
Legal Studies <--- Im not sure about this one, it is interesting though

I decided I want to change subjects, cuz im really not that confident that I will get 90+ for all of em in Yr 12. And alot of people say that the subjects I choose needs alot of time wasted on studying, and that im gonna be busy for the rest of the 2 years.

TO:

Standard Math <---IMO, 2 unit is a big difference, even though their is still lots of work, the questions seems to be lot easier.
Standard English <--- Im not sure about this one, I failed so hard last year even though Im in the top class, last year, the teacher says i should do advanced but idk man...

Biology )
Chemistry)
Physics) --------------Keeping these 4.
Legal Studies)

what do you guys, think? any opinions or options would be great
So you want to drop Extension Maths for Mathematics because "the questions are easier".

Well of course they're easier. I don't really see any reason for dropping Extension Maths.

You don't learn from your teacher, so you learn it yourself.

You can do the questions too.

So what's the problem?

Osborn

HSC
Don't drop to Standard English! Don't forget that 2 units of English always count!
You should consider sticking with 3u for a while longer... Maths tends to get easier the more you study it!
If you still feel difficulty, try dropping to Advanced Maths instead of to General.

Zokunu

HSC
Also, i think it's best to keep 3u for now until the end of the year. I mean it's only been 2-3 days and you're already deciding what to drop without giving it a proper chance which in my opinion is very stupid. And don't be turned off by the amount of work - man up because it's either adapt or die.

(I'm not having a go at you just to make that clear)
TBH, i really do wanna keep it, I can DEFIANTLY answer the questions, but the thing is the teacher can't teach for sh1t..seriously.
He gives you homework, on the first day, pretty much 1 chapter of a book needs to be finished, i dont have time since i have tutor. I worked till 12 midnight, i got tired, i slept. The next he says " You dont derserve to be in 3 unit, and he gives us a 5 min lecture.
He asks you a question, i dont know wtf he is saying, since he can't speak english ==''. I have him double tommorow, i will see how it goes again.
IF i go standard math, I will ace it, since all the people that i know who is smart in math are ALL in Extension.

Can i just ask, is 3 Unit really like this? What does 3 unit look like in your school? ==''

Last edited:

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
TBH, i really do wanna keep it, I can DEFIANTLY answer the questions, but the thing is the teacher can't teach for sh1t..seriously.
He gives you homework, on the first day, pretty much 1 chapter of a book needs to be finished, i dont have time since i have tutor. I worked till 12 midnight, i got tired, i slept. The next he says " You dont derserve to be in 3 unit, and he gives us a 5 min lecture.
He asks you a question, i dont know wtf he is saying, since he can't speak english ==''. I have him double tommorow, i will see how it goes again.
IF i go standard math, I will ace it, since all the people that i know who is smart in math are ALL in Extension.

Can i just ask, is 3 Unit really like this? What does 3 unit look like in your school? ==''
I think you should keep 3u. You said you have a tutor, so can't your tutor teach and help you? Also, my 2u and 3u teacher can't teach jack too. She doesn't even show up to class lol (if she does, she only marks the roll, sets the class an exercise and then leaves for the rest of the period) but don't let that be the reason as to why you want to drop 3u lol. Also, it's only been like a few days in year 11 lol so shouldn't maths be all like revision of year 10 work? maybe that's just my school idk.

Aysce

HSC

Keep it - trust me, your tutor can help you and there's nothing that time management can't do. Sacrifice most of your lunch/recess to get as much done as possible, that's what I did. You get used to the workload. It does not matter how many "smart" people are in your class just try to focus on perfecting your own skills and don't worry about the competition

3 unit was a little like this for me, except my teacher was pretty good. I had quite a few smart people in my class too but nothing is impossible with lots of hard work :p.

Last edited:

Zokunu

HSC
I think you should keep 3u. You said you have a tutor, so can't your tutor teach and help you? Also, my 2u and 3u teacher can't teach jack too. She doesn't even show up to class lol (if she does, she only marks the roll, sets the class an exercise and then leaves for the rest of the period) but don't let that be the reason as to why you want to drop 3u lol. Also, it's only been like a few days in year 11 lol so shouldn't maths be all like revision of year 10 work? maybe that's just my school idk.
Nah, the tutor teacher doesn't have time to teach him. I'm 100% sure, even if he did, it's just one question. I have like 7-8 people in my tutor class, and most of them picked 2 unit, so he is focusing on 2 unit right now. He really doesn't have time to help me with work, i mean their are 7-8 people..what about them dont they need help too? and lol, i dont want to sacrifice my recess and lunch, none my my friends go library and study in these times, just talk and hang around. Time management is like everything right now. I need to go gym everyday(2 hours), school(6 hours), dinner, shower etc (1 hour), Homework? (depends) You guys tell me, can i really balance my time with all that needs to be done?

I will give it a week or so, for MatExtension. I will see how i go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)