Chem lab safety (computer exercise) (1 Viewer)

kmk

HSC
yeah babs lectures are extremely boring u get sleepy 15 minutes in.
would any1 noe where the applied science 133 room/place would be? it doesnt seem to be on the unsw map i got at o-week. thanks in advance

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It'd be in the applied science building, level 1, room 33. There's a lot of signs in the buildings.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
If you came to your first lecture for chem on time you would have heard the lecturer saying that if you have applied science building on your timetable it is actually held in the chemical sciences building. Apparently the chemical sciences building is real new and the applied sciences building is like an old lump of crap.

So it is Chemical Sciences building 1st floor(not ground floor, go up the stairs) and down this little hallway and its right at the end. Marked lab 33(or 133).

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol all Science-based students takin Chem this year are pretty lucky, you guys have got spiffy first year labs...

Man last year, us first years had to go to this Chem lab which had construction workers walking right outside your window!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Lecture Notes for CHEM1031 aren't that different to Fundmt of Chem notes, we were given by them on Chemistry site by lecturer (i.e. only those who had that lecturer in their timeslot on MyUNSW had access to it since it's password-protected).

[SIZE=-1]www.chem.unsw.edu.au/coursenotes/

I think for those taking CHEM1011, you guys may be able to grab them from the above site, OR your lecturer may have placed specific notes on WebCT. Ask and bug your lecturer for notes, otherwise they won't give em out.
[/SIZE]
While others who had lecturers who had the whole "let's save the Earth by not printing lecture notes", or "I tend to find students not coming to lectures because of the 'evil' notes posted on webct" won't be able to grab the lecture notes.

Omg...lol if you're nodding off in this semester's chemistry, wait till you do Organic Chemistry next semester in 1021 (1031 students will be doing organic this semester, except we don't get taught this......we read it by ourselves), you'll be trying to sleep and understand what's going on with all the structures written onboard. :)

BIOS1201 lecturers are mad...they're not bad at all, lol Mike Edwards gives quite good lectures I have to admit.

FeelBare

HSC
Would anyone know where the Chem Computer Labs are situated? :confused:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Lol all Science-based students takin Chem this year are pretty lucky, you guys have got spiffy first year labs...
I used them in summer session before I discontinued the course, and damn well hated the new labs. They well and truly suck.

tarsus

Dead Apostle
HSC
FeelBare said:
Would anyone know where the Chem Computer Labs are situated? :confused:
Shiiit. I'll like to know as well.

Rekkusu

HSC
Wow man that's abit uncool. So they're even worse than the ones we had in Semester 1/2? (That's the ones that you had to walk past when going through that walkway under construction from Applied Science to say UNSW Bookshop)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Supposing that you were talking to me...

Yes, they're worse. They're cramped, not every duo has their own sink now (one sink per bench) and they're sterile. I like the old labs because they felt like a science lab...these ones feel like something out of tha matrix. Oh, and there's far too much plastic. Oh...and the decor sucks ass.

If you weren't talking to me, I'll walk away with my tail between my legs.

FeelBare

HSC
Back on topic lol...

If anyone still has no idea/has not done their Chem Safety and Ethics test (whatever it's called), then go to the Chemical Sciences Building, Level 1; going up the stairs you will turn left and see a red wall, the first door you see will have a paper stuck there telling you that it's the computers that you're looking for.

When you login don't type in your student number (i.e. z1234567) and password, type in "firstyear" for both the login and password e.g.

login: firstyear
password: firstyear

And then proceed to the next page which is per usual z1234567 type of login.

If you weren't talking to me, I'll walk away with my tail between my legs.
Neb. You have a tail? :eek:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's from the old Heffron labs. :p

You first years don't know the joy that you're missing, not being able to work in Heffron. *sniff*

FeelBare

HSC
Don't cry for us Neb. The labs in Chemical Sciences Building are so nice, you get your own little cupboard. OWN LITTLE CUPBOARD! :eek:

Okay.

tarsus

Dead Apostle
HSC
FeelBare said:
Back on topic lol...

If anyone still has no idea/has not done their Chem Safety and Ethics test (whatever it's called), then go to the Chemical Sciences Building, Level 1; going up the stairs you will turn left and see a red wall, the first door you see will have a paper stuck there telling you that it's the computers that you're looking for.

When you login don't type in your student number (i.e. z1234567) and password, type in "firstyear" for both the login and password e.g.

login: firstyear
password: firstyear

And then proceed to the next page which is per usual z1234567 type of login.

Neb. You have a tail? :eek:
Haha, I figured that out today. Smack myself for not seeing it the first time. Now, all I need is mai googles. :santa:

cuppy

HSC
N/A
does anyone know how strict they are in chem labs about what passes as being 'closed shoes'?

e.g would keds be acceptable or do the shoes have to completely cover the foot (since we'll be working with chemicals, glass etc)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
shoes have to completely cover the foot

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
It is a very good idea to wear good closed shoes. Once a beaker exploded on me (and I am quite careful), and bleach and chemicals went all over my lab coat and pants and shoes. It actually bleached my pants. Lucky I was wearing closed shoes...wouldn't have liked to see what it would have done to my skin.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im sure you dont want HCl on your foot do ya?

Rekkusu

HSC
Not only that, students doing Higher Chem tend to use more dangerous and corrosive chemicals, combined with the fact that sometimes you might use a bunsen burner = burnage.

Anyhow, it's OHS procedure for all personnel entering science labs.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
you're all scaring me now!! yeh i was just checking cos in the biology labs they are a bit more lenient.

Rekkusu

HSC
:eek: They're lenient?? Omg...well I won't blame them, I might be lenient as well if I'm your tutor...I'd be like "You guys want the answers?? I'll give em to you for a little something.." *cough cough*

Anyhow, in First Year Science Subjects, tutors tend to be alittle nicer since they know that anything that does spill on your feet won't get you infected/burnt or anything like that.

But once you hit 2nd Year, it's really serious, especially with handling microorganisms which can cause like explosive stuff in the toilet. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)