• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

China. (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
yulia said:
I haven't read anything else anyone says...and I'm just going to say my personal view and how I formed it.

When I think of China and the way everything is, I feel deep sadness. I feel horror, I feel disguist, and I fear for what's to come.
When I think of China, I think of the country my grandparents run away from. I see the spreading communism that forced my own parents to flee here.
I see the death of the Panchen lama because of the Chinese government. I see the first child political prisoner because of the Chinese.

But I think all this really means is I despise the Chinese government. Not the Chinese society as a whole, but the government.

Basically, while I am Chinese, I'm also a Buddhist, and I guess I've been brought up more as a Tibetan Buddhist than anything else. And it saddens me to see the way the Tibetan people have been treated, the incredible pain that has been inflicted on them because of the Chinese (the mother who had to cut off her fingers to feed her children after Tibet was taken over is just one of the things...).
I fear the fact that the Chinese are holding the Panchen lama, an innocent child hostage purely for their hatred of the Dalai Lama and his beliefs. I fear for his safety, we don't even know if he's still alive. And I fear for the future of Buddhism itself, without the Panchen Lama, what happens when the Dalai Lama dies?
I see the struggle the monk I sponsor went through as he fled Tibet through the Himalayas for his own safety.
I see the destruction the Chinese are carrying out on their country, on ancient monuments, with no regard of the history they are destroying.

Maybe I am biased by a lot of things, and I've seen Seven Years in Tibet too many times, but it was a true story...while one side of me sees "yeah cool cheap shopping" when I really think about it...I'm just saddened.

But when my brother confronted one of his less strict teachers in China, she likened it to what we did to our own country, and what we did to the indigenous people of Australia. And while this is true, and there's nothing I can say that can justify anything white people did to the indigenous people, the fact they are still carrying out such ignorance and inflicting torture the way they do in the modern era disguists and saddens me...

I feel like nothing I'm saying is making sense and I can't get out the words to explain what I feel and think, I just think it's all rather fucked up and a lot of the time what I feel is a sense of doom.
ahhh the emotional response. ...I used to be like you yulia, but...stuff happened. lol. er I wouldn't rely on American intepretations of the situation.

um Phanatical isn't that taking it just a tad far....Mao was a dictator and he did terrible stuff, he was responsible for the Cultural Revolution...which directly affected both my parents. so if any one has a grievance it should be them, and the many millions of others that suffered under his regime. But if they can look past it and see the good that Mao, OK so not Mao as much as Deng and the younger generation, did for the living standards and development of the nation, why can't you (general comment, not addressing yulia in particular)?

lawforever

HSC
yulia said:
I haven't read anything else anyone says...and I'm just going to say my personal view and how I formed it.

When I think of China and the way everything is, I feel deep sadness. I feel horror, I feel disguist, and I fear for what's to come.
When I think of China, I think of the country my grandparents run away from. I see the spreading communism that forced my own parents to flee here.
I see the death of the Panchen lama because of the Chinese government. I see the first child political prisoner because of the Chinese.

But I think all this really means is I despise the Chinese government. Not the Chinese society as a whole, but the government.

Basically, while I am Chinese, I'm also a Buddhist, and I guess I've been brought up more as a Tibetan Buddhist than anything else. And it saddens me to see the way the Tibetan people have been treated, the incredible pain that has been inflicted on them because of the Chinese (the mother who had to cut off her fingers to feed her children after Tibet was taken over is just one of the things...).
I fear the fact that the Chinese are holding the Panchen lama, an innocent child hostage purely for their hatred of the Dalai Lama and his beliefs. I fear for his safety, we don't even know if he's still alive. And I fear for the future of Buddhism itself, without the Panchen Lama, what happens when the Dalai Lama dies?
I see the struggle the monk I sponsor went through as he fled Tibet through the Himalayas for his own safety.
I see the destruction the Chinese are carrying out on their country, on ancient monuments, with no regard of the history they are destroying.

Maybe I am biased by a lot of things, and I've seen Seven Years in Tibet too many times, but it was a true story...while one side of me sees "yeah cool cheap shopping" when I really think about it...I'm just saddened.

But when my brother confronted one of his less strict teachers in China, she likened it to what we did to our own country, and what we did to the indigenous people of Australia. And while this is true, and there's nothing I can say that can justify anything white people did to the indigenous people, the fact they are still carrying out such ignorance and inflicting torture the way they do in the modern era disguists and saddens me...

I feel like nothing I'm saying is making sense and I can't get out the words to explain what I feel and think, I just think it's all rather fucked up and a lot of the time what I feel is a sense of doom.

it seems that you know what the government did to tibet. but obviously you have no idea of why these kinda sad events happened and you have no idea of Dalai lama's commitment of being a secessionist and you just believe what happened in front of you and at the end just simply blame all to the government and concluded "destruction that china is carrying
out of the country"

I despise the kinda ppl who think they know everything (but actually dunno anything) and comment a country or government based on biased western views.

I despise more extremely the kinda ppl above if they are chinese themselves.
they give bullcrap comments as if they are china experts. I admit there is unfairness and corruption within the chinese government. but keep in mind that without communist party, without the government china now has, you are probably still in the war; Your parents could have been killed already by jap; you probably wouldn't have a chance of flying over australia, sitting in your room and criticizing your own country.

again, I m not saying china is a perfect nation. indeed it has got a lot of problems including population, pollution and corruption etc etc. Nevertheless, it is undeniable that china has got a huge progress in these years in terms of economy, sports, technology and even human right issues(eg. member of WTO, Olympics, world exhibition in 2010) Should we just simply stick to its past and keep judging the country in a negative manner(btw, there are still some positive things in the past), or instead should we accept this nation and put some faith on the future of china ? The answer is inevitable.
Let world understands china so china can also understand the world.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
leetom said:
I got Mao: the unknown story and the author of that book reckons Mao welcomed the Japanese occupation as a chance to overthrow the KMT.

Phanatical: as stubborn a Chinese as you are, I can't see how you can endorse a man who promoted the burning of ancient Chinese literature.
Mao believed that the ancient Chinese traditions were holding China back. I happen to agree - even today Chinese culture is still So defined by confucian teachings that by observing the traditions we cannot grow as a culture.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Phanatical said:
Mao believed that the ancient Chinese traditions were holding China back. I happen to agree - even today Chinese culture is still So defined by confucian teachings that by observing the traditions we cannot grow as a culture.
would you like to be a little more specific?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Hmmm... In many instances, there is a clear distinction between a sense of ethnicity and political/social/cultural belonging, yet in the case of China it seems as though one always comes with the other. That is from what I can gather, anyway.

If anyone happens to be wondering, the following segment is what led to this post being written.
lawforever said:
I despise the kinda ppl who think they know everything (but actually dunno anything) and comment a country or government based on biased western views.

I despise more extremely the kinda ppl above if they are chinese themselves.

lawforever

HSC
To some persons in this thread: u complain and wonder what chinese government has done for you. why not ask urself first what u have done for the government ? The government is not here to serve only you, your family, or your city. Without taking a objective look on the history, also without thnking critically of the real issues based on situation of china as a whole, plz do not make some thoughtless comments.

Generator

HSC
N/A
lawforever, you should try reading through the first post. This thread was originally meant to allow members to respond to cherryblossom's request for their views regarding China and the conditions within which they were formed. Now it may be nothing more than a 'you must love the motherland or else' thread, but try not to criticise those who were only trying to help back in the early days of the thread's life.

lawforever

HSC
Generator, I know that. This thread iz meant to be an opportunity to learn about chinese culture, heritage and current national status.

it has been said
cherryblossom said:
Please don't just look at the political aspects

cb
however, someone insists commenting on china's past political events and give thoughtless conclusion to the whole country. I have to doubt that his/her intention is to help others understand how china really is, but not to express dissatisfaction plus anti-communism in a subjective sense.

Generator

HSC
N/A
lawforever said:
Generator, I know that. This thread iz meant to be an opportunity to learn about chinese culture, heritage and current national status.
No, it isn't. As I said, read through the initial post. Of course, I do realise that cherryblossom's post is unlikely to stop anyone from passing judgement on what would be a simple response to the question, and in all likelihood the need for this thread is no longer pressing, so I guess that there is little point in trying to stop the tangents and the 'pointless' criticisms.

In other words, comrade, I wish you well as you strive to mobilise the masses in defence of the motherland. May your years be red and your market controlled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)