• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

choosing subjects for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

Aznmichael92

HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
same with my school, only 2 people do latin continuers (or something extravagant like that).
omg latin! it sounds so cool to learn :D

michael1990

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
omg latin! it sounds so cool to learn :D
I wish our school offered it. Although, we would be able to do it via Distance Education. But it would be extremely difficult.

TheEM

HSC
Pick What u enjoy and what u think is intresting that is what i did and i only ended up hating 1 subject that i dropped.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
michael1990 said:
I wish our school offered it. Although, we would be able to do it via Distance Education. But it would be extremely difficult.
at my school, latin was compulsory to do in year 7.
then we had the option to continue in year 8 or drop it.
i dropped it. not the greatest language to learn. i got like 69% for my overall mark.

agua.fuego

HSC
michael1990 said:
Distance Ed though isn't as hard as it seems, I'm doing Spanish via Distance Ed (and all my subjects next year).

What does suck is when you've got 3 subjects that you really want to do... and then they all are on the same line. Then you pick one, and it truly does suck. What's awesome is when you change it... and you do Ancient History which is a really good subject. At least, according to me.

Aznmichael92

HSC
but does sound cool to learn. Language is mandatory by the board of studies. You must do at least once language in year 7 and/or 8. I been doing languages seince year 7 :D

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
agirlinatutu said:
Maybe Im stupid or not picking up the obvious... but say you only wanted to do one extension either maths or english... it would leave you with an odd number of units assuming you needed 12 for year 11?
How would it work?
Yep. thats my situation. IM doing extension maths, so that leaves 11 units. That means I'll have to do Studies of Religion or Fundamentals of English (if Im doing standard english). Stupid school. coz I really dont want to do religion, but I'll drop it at the end of Year 11, or I might change schools

agua.fuego

HSC
nerdsforever said:
Yep. thats my situation. IM doing extension maths, so that leaves 11 units. That means I'll have to do Studies of Religion or Fundamentals of English (if Im doing standard english). Stupid school. coz I really dont want to do religion, but I'll drop it at the end of Year 11, or I might change schools
Although SOR is really easy marks. You can sleep through the lessons and still pass. I missed 8 weeks of school and still managed to come 4th in the year for our exams.

michael1990

HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
at my school, latin was compulsory to do in year 7.
then we had the option to continue in year 8 or drop it.
i dropped it. not the greatest language to learn. i got like 69% for my overall mark.
LOL.
It sounds like an awesome subject. I would love to learn it. All the old philosophers facinate me.

So what did you pick up instead of having Latin?

michael1990

HSC
agua.fuego said:
Distance Ed though isn't as hard as it seems, I'm doing Spanish via Distance Ed (and all my subjects next year).

What does suck is when you've got 3 subjects that you really want to do... and then they all are on the same line. Then you pick one, and it truly does suck. What's awesome is when you change it... and you do Ancient History which is a really good subject. At least, according to me.
Distance Education would be harder than having face-to-face teaching.
But have you got a sound knowledge of Spanish already?

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
michael1990 said:
LOL.
It sounds like an awesome subject. I would love to learn it. All the old philosophers facinate me.

So what did you pick up instead of having Latin?
well.
my school used to have a complicated system.
in year 7, french & latin were compulsory.
in year 8, you had the choice of 2 languages out of german, french, latin & japanese.
in year 9, you could continue or drop them as electives.
that was when i was in year 7.

now..
yr7 - two languages out of german, french, latin & japanese.
yr8 - one language out of the two from yr 7.
yr9 - electives..

i was part of the old system.
so..i continued with french and picked up japanese in yr 8.
and now i do japanese as an elective.

Melrick

HSC
if you intend to do marine biology - which is what i do - you must do maths advanced, chem, and physics to get into UNI . Recommended Ext 1 maths.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Melrick said:
if you intend to do marine biology - which is what i do - you must do maths advanced, chem, and physics to get into UNI . Recommended Ext 1 maths.
What about Biology?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Melrick said:
This is not must. It is merely assumed that you do it before you get into this university course. You can always take a bridging course.

And what you said up there is right. Assumed knowledges are 2 Unit Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics/Biology. ;)

I am not sure if Mathematics Extension 1 is a recommended study. I am referring to the USDY booklet by the way.

agua.fuego

HSC
michael1990 said:
Distance Education would be harder than having face-to-face teaching.
But have you got a sound knowledge of Spanish already?
I know the necessities. Such as how to effectively swear at someone who nearly runs you over on the street :D. My family DOES speak Spanish, but I wasn't taught it when I was little like my cousins and whatnot.

I know French a lot better, which made Spanish a little difficult (remembering verbs and all).

agua.fuego

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
but does sound cool to learn. Language is mandatory by the board of studies. You must do at least once language in year 7 and/or 8. I been doing languages seince year 7 :D
Me, since year 8... we had to do computer stuff in year 7 instead. So I've done 3 years French, and this year, Spanish... although I'm thinking of changing and just continuing with French.

michael1990

HSC
agua.fuego said:
I know the necessities. Such as how to effectively swear at someone who nearly runs you over on the street :D. My family DOES speak Spanish, but I wasn't taught it when I was little like my cousins and whatnot.

I know French a lot better, which made Spanish a little difficult (remembering verbs and all).
How do you know French better if your of Spanish Heritage?

Do you find writing and speaking Spanish difficult?

Aznmichael92

HSC
i kinda find writing viet hard but reading not hard. So hard to remember which tones to use :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)