choosing year 11's subjects! (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
Japanese Continuers you say? Well, it's a pretty decent course. If you love the subject, then great! Much more emphasis is placed on vocabulary and kanji (that's what I felt anyways).

I would not recommend taking up Japanese Extension. I don't do it, but from what my Japanese teacher has been saying, it is a particularly difficult course. Unless you have been to Japan or watch Japanese television/read manga pretty religiously, it will be hard.

For me, the sciences really depend on the type of teacher and who's teaching. Chemistry does not require you to remember the elements individually, although you will begin to start remembering certain details about them after using them a lot (Hydrogen has a molar mass of 1.008 ;)). You have a periodic table at all times.

Besides, if you do pick the wrong subjects, just try and change them for other ones. You never know. Maybe Legal Studies turns out to be absolutely atrocious or you never realised how much you hate Economics. Do it within the 1st term though or you would miss the chance.
thz..

HSC
YES!!! DO CHEM!!! its a really interesting subject. if you learn to love it, then you can do well in it!

I say... drop legal. it requires a LOT of memory. constant memorising essays and everything. but if you like it then by all means, do it.

ask your teachers as well. i think economics is interesting even though i dont do it. if you're interested in the global financial crisis (recession) then do it.

in 2u maths.. some topics are repetitive. as if in you've done half of that topic in yr 10. e.g. linear functions, trig. just a few concepts added to it.

3u maths.. options topics in yr 10 like circle geometry and polynomials are actual topics in 3u and ONLY in 3u.

if you love maths, do it. dont think about 4u maths too much for now. worry about that halfway through yr 11.

moral to the story is.. do the subjects that you love. dont pick subjects that you hate but are good at. you wont do the work in the end. or dont do it well/as much.

good luck =]

muzeikchun852

HSC
YES!!! DO CHEM!!! its a really interesting subject. if you learn to love it, then you can do well in it!

I say... drop legal. it requires a LOT of memory. constant memorising essays and everything. but if you like it then by all means, do it.

ask your teachers as well. i think economics is interesting even though i dont do it. if you're interested in the global financial crisis (recession) then do it.

in 2u maths.. some topics are repetitive. as if in you've done half of that topic in yr 10. e.g. linear functions, trig. just a few concepts added to it.

3u maths.. options topics in yr 10 like circle geometry and polynomials are actual topics in 3u and ONLY in 3u.

if you love maths, do it. dont think about 4u maths too much for now. worry about that halfway through yr 11.

moral to the story is.. do the subjects that you love. dont pick subjects that you hate but are good at. you wont do the work in the end. or dont do it well/as much.

good luck =]
im sort of like legal studies and sort of like chemistry..
so is quite a hard choice for me to choose..
i want to do law in university..
maybe doing legal will know why kind of stuff i will be learning afterward..
but chem got higher scaling..
and personally think my english is one of the best..
with these factors,, properly i will need to think about chemistry and drop off legal.

Last edited:

xMaFF

HSC
i want to do:
english advanced 2u
maths ex1/2 3u
physics 2u
economics 2u
legal studies 2u
japanese continuers 2u..
Waw. That combo is very close to mine.
My subject selection night is tomorrow, and I'm still a bit unsure.
I've chosen:

- Economics (2U)
- Legal Studies (2U)
- English Adv. (2U)
- English Ext. (1U)
- Physics (2U)
- Mathematics (2U)
- Japanese (2U)

I'm not really confident if I'm choosing "continuers," though.
I think, at the end of the day, I want to be able to watch any anime or jdrama without reading the subtitles~!

Buhahaha!!!

muzeikchun852

HSC
Waw. That combo is very close to mine.
My subject selection night is tomorrow, and I'm still a bit unsure.
I've chosen:

- Economics (2U)
- Legal Studies (2U)
- English Adv. (2U)
- English Ext. (1U)
- Physics (2U)
- Mathematics (2U)
- Japanese (2U)

I'm not really confident if I'm choosing "continuers," though.
I think, at the end of the day, I want to be able to watch any anime or jdrama without reading the subtitles~!

Buhahaha!!!
i seee..
are u doing japanese now?!
i think my teacher is quite slow on teaching..
so i im not sure that i can meet the standard..
wat are u learning in ur school?

Official

Bring it on
HSC
i have heard legal studies scaling down right..
25/50 something like that..
im thinking about doing b law/b art..
maybe legel studies is needed..

so confusinggggg..
if i can, i will be sure i wont be doing english advanced.
Remember to not just look at scaling when you're picking your subjects. You have to do the subjects you enjoy and by this, will ultimately get the ATAR you want.

HSC
lol my friends just did a legal studies exam today. its all essays. they write just as much in legal as in english adv. be prepared to memorise A LOT. you need a sponge brain to absorb everything.

ask your friends in higher years. look through their work. see what they do, what they like and dont like.

just have an idea of what you want to do now. when the real subject selection comes with the official forms and everything. the subjects that you want to do may not work with the subject lines. have backup subjects if they dont work out.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
i am also wondering the same thing about ext2 math.
Anyway, my subject selection is
-3unit math
-adv eng
-chem
-phys
-bio
-art ( as a fun bludgy subject i can drop in year 12)

What uai are you aiming for?

muzeikchun852

HSC
lol my friends just did a legal studies exam today. its all essays. they write just as much in legal as in english adv. be prepared to memorise A LOT. you need a sponge brain to absorb everything.

ask your friends in higher years. look through their work. see what they do, what they like and dont like.

just have an idea of what you want to do now. when the real subject selection comes with the official forms and everything. the subjects that you want to do may not work with the subject lines. have backup subjects if they dont work out.
thats why im thinking about chemistry in my list..
i notice that u do all three science subject?!
which one of those do u think is the most interesting and why?

muzeikchun852

HSC
i am also wondering the same thing about ext2 math.
Anyway, my subject selection is
-3unit math
-adv eng
-chem
-phys
-bio
-art ( as a fun bludgy subject i can drop in year 12)

What uai are you aiming for?
u can only do extension 2 in year 12..
when we are in year 11, they lets u choose to stay in ex1 or go up to ex2..
and why dont u do some humanlities subjecttt?!
UAI (or now ATAR) is way too far for me to think about..

muzeikchun852

HSC
Remember to not just look at scaling when you're picking your subjects. You have to do the subjects you enjoy and by this, will ultimately get the ATAR you want.
the situation is like that,,
i sort of like chemistry and legal studies..
i chosen legal first..but after think about it,,
i got quite good mark in the chemistry part in science..

the next thing i look is the scalingg..
and they have huge difference between these two subjectt..

but at the end of dayyy, i still need to see the school's linee..

victoria10

HSC
all im going to say is dont choose subjects which you think will scale you up.
you will have a really heavy workload next year if you choose heaps of really demanding subjects.
at my school 2u maths marks really hard and gives a heap of work. im not sure about ext. but my friend said its hard.

but the main thing is choose subjects you like and not just because you think they will scale you up when you get too your HSC.

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
Nothing wrong with eco, seems pretty interesting and I like the asian combo^^

Ext 1 Maths
Ext 1 English
Physics
Chem
Eco!

chocopie109

HSC
wah.
everyone choosing ext.1 english.

im confused of choosing subject too.

anyways. this is my subject selection for now.
- physics
- chemistry
- math ext. 1
- catholic studies / studies of religion ( i have to)
- english standard/ advanced

im thinking to do bio. but i want to do economics too.
but. if i do bio. all my subjects gonna b like science, math and english.
im still confuseddd. o.o

btw. im new here.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
wah.
everyone choosing ext.1 english.

im confused of choosing subject too.

anyways. this is my subject selection for now.
- physics
- chemistry
- math ext. 1
- catholic studies / studies of religion ( i have to)
- english standard/ advanced

im thinking to do bio. but i want to do economics too.
but. if i do bio. all my subjects gonna b like science, math and english.
im still confuseddd. o.o

btw. im new here.
I don't really want to influence or sway your choice towards one or other for Biology or Economics, you should choose. When it comes to Catholic Studies or Studies of Religion... choose SOR. Why do a non-atar course at school if you are going for an atar... -_- SOR is easy and kind of fun.

chocopie109

HSC
I don't really want to influence or sway your choice towards one or other for Biology or Economics, you should choose. When it comes to Catholic Studies or Studies of Religion... choose SOR. Why do a non-atar course at school if you are going for an atar... -_- SOR is easy and kind of fun.
i heard that doing catholic studies will reduce you pressure in tests later in the end of the year. because they dont have the external test from the bored of studies. but is it true though?

oh wells. thanks for the advice.

muzeikchun852

HSC
回覆: choosing year 11's subjects!

well..
i just find out if there isnt enough ppl to do japanese..
i will have to do it for OPEN HIGH SCHOOL!

does anyone knows wat kind of things they do for open high school?
do u have to pay?
how do u learn there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)