• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
oh not again... unless you can prove the existence of God, right here, right now, in this forum, you can't possibly have anything constructive to offer... aside from amusing the athiests and annoying the agnostics.. or vice versa
/me pulls out rorix's train argument :D

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
waterfowl said:
A point I'm sure you've heard many times before: you can't see gravity, you can only see the effects of it. Does that mean that gravity doesn't exist? No, it just means that you can't see it.
I heard a kid in the movie 'The Santa Claus' Use that too.

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I heard a kid in the movie 'The Santa Claus' Use that too.

It's just like trying to prove the big bang theory. Scientists say they have evidence to support the theory, but even with all this evidence they can't prove it really happened, because no one was around when it happened.

And in a way santa is real, because your parents do the job that the kids associate with santa.

Comrade nathan

HSC
waterfowl said:
It's just like trying to prove the big bang theory. Scientists say they have evidence to support the theory, but even with all this evidence they can't prove it really happened, because no one was around when it happened.

And in a way santa is real, because your parents do the job that the kids associate with santa.
So since they dont have enough evidence yet that means we believe something with little evidence but has a nice happy feeling to it?

How will you religious type keep this up. In the next month or so if they proved the big bang theory would you still believe in god, or if they proved evolution. How long is it going to take for you to see that people are great on their own and not by gods will.

Religious people are thoose who doubt the human races' abilities.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
So since they dont have enough evidence yet that means we believe something with little evidence but has a nice happy feeling to it?

How will you religious type keep this up. In the next month or so if they proved the big bang theory would you still believe in god, or if they proved evolution. How long is it going to take for you to see that people are great on their own and not by gods will.

Um... you DO KNOW that its IS POSSIBLE to believe in the big bang theory AND Christianity???

You people amuse me. As a few others have said, you don't deconstruct the bible for each word.

And how generalising. I don't doubt the human race's abilities. They way you've said it - its like your critisize religion as a whole. Get over it and let people use this alternative belief to yours to their own will. We're not as ignorant as people think.

Think Lisa Simpson and Jebediah Springfield. I, as a Christian, know the extent to which religion controls society, and enforces patriarchy, homophobia and what not. I see it entirely, and yes its disgusting.

But if you look around and see what Christians do because of their religion eg Mother Theresa helping those in need in third world countries, then leave them be! I find it so weird how people get irritated with the weird christians that come up to you in the street in hope to convert you, but at the same time think its okay to ridicule religion. Each to their own. Don't critisize, or I will convert to the weird christian and spend my life on the street waiting for you to come by so I can annoyingly try to convert you.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Um... you DO KNOW that its IS POSSIBLE to believe in the big bang theory AND Christianity???
Yes but its a half hearted belief. If you belive this then you do no beliver a higher life form created existence. Believing both shows that your are confused or have issues and questioning your beliefs.

But if you look around and see what Christians do because of their religion eg Mother Theresa helping those in need in third world countries, then leave them be!QUOTE]

Christanity didnt do this Mother Teresa did. The rest of the Anglo christains first goal was to convert second to help.

Religion is not a answer to any deep question because its just dripple. People are religios throught fear. Fear of dyeing and going to hell or fear that if they dont believe they wont have happyness and morals.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:

You people amuse me. As a few others have said, you don't deconstruct the bible for each word.

And how generalising. I don't doubt the human race's abilities. They way you've said it - its like your critisize religion as a whole. Get over it and let people use this alternative belief to yours to their own will. We're not as ignorant as people think.

Think Lisa Simpson and Jebediah Springfield. I, as a Christian, know the extent to which religion controls society, and enforces patriarchy, homophobia and what not. I see it entirely, and yes its disgusting.

But if you look around and see what Christians do because of their religion eg Mother Theresa helping those in need in third world countries, then leave them be! I find it so weird how people get irritated with the weird christians that come up to you in the street in hope to convert you, but at the same time think its okay to ridicule religion. Each to their own. Don't critisize, or I will convert to the weird christian and spend my life on the street waiting for you to come by so I can annoyingly try to convert you.
Yes.. people should be entitled to believe whatever they want (no matter how stupid or ridiculous it may be)

That said, it is understandable when people complain that they are being 'preached to'.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Either that or perhaps you take the stance that preaching is allowed, and with it, so is "un-preaching" hehe

Christians then are justified in trying to convert people... so long as athiests are allowed to inhibit the process

Sophie777

ur_inner_child said:

No. People shouldn't be respected for doing good things because of religion. You should do good things regardless of religion. Mother Theresa hence did wonderful things cause she wanted Gods love or to earn a peace with God? Thats awful! If I am going to help people, it will be for those people, not for religion!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Sophie777 said:
No. People shouldn't be respected for doing good things because of religion. You should do good things regardless of religion. Mother Theresa hence did wonderful things cause she wanted Gods love or to earn a peace with God? Thats awful! If I am going to help people, it will be for those people, not for religion!
No, I never meant that she should be respected because of doing things for religion. You misunderstood. I'm talking about what DRIVES her. If its something that DRIVES her, then let her be so. The guy before me critisized religion - as if it shouldn't exist. But I reckon it should! Whats wrong with it if it makes SOME PEOPLE do good things???

waterfowl

HSC
Comrade nathan said:

I would still believe in God no matter what.
And scientists have it around the wrong way...the big bang comes at the end :p
Sure people are great, but God makes them greater.

Sophie777 said:
Theresa hence did wonderful things cause she wanted Gods love or to earn a peace with God? Thats awful!
Christians don't do things to earn a peace with God or his love, God loves everyone, it's not about earning it. Christians help people because often no one else will, and it's about spreadign God's love, not earning it.

spell check

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Whats wrong with it if it makes SOME PEOPLE do good things???
probably that it makes more people do worse things

lennon was right when he said to imagine a world with no religion

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
spell check said:
probably that it makes more people do worse things

lennon was right when he said to imagine a world with no religion
That's true, when the religion enforces that their religion is the RIGHT religion and the rest are evil etc etc.

We just need an open mind.

Its like saying to imagine a world with no colour. Sounds pretty neat because of the lack of discrimination, but WAY BETTER if we could accept our differences and celebrate it.

spell check

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
That's true, when the religion enforces that their religion is the RIGHT religion and the rest are evil etc etc.

We just need an open mind.
what?

how can you have a religion that doesn't think they are the right religion and that others are wrong

all religions are like that

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
spell check said:
what?

how can you have a religion that doesn't think they are the right religion and that others are wrong

all religions are like that
In strict ways yes, but you'll find that a lot of modern christians are more open-minded than their religion

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
yeah, some of us realise tha the Bible was written for shepards, etc. not for a modern democracy. :)

spell check

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
In strict ways yes, but you'll find that a lot of modern christians are more open-minded than their religion
modern christians = tools

how can you only adopt some of the beliefs of a religion

you can't pick and choose, you either completely believe it or you don't

Sophie777

Religion shouldn't drive you to do things. You should feel an urge within yourself to do good things. Then you deserve a place with God.

sub

spell check said:
modern christians = tools

how can you only adopt some of the beliefs of a religion

you can't pick and choose, you either completely believe it or you don't
mate ur a legend...picking up on the right point...religion is an all or nothing principle - the name says it all... u cant pick and choose...thats stupid. how is that different from not having a religion, but having faith...ie agnostic? just a q, pls dont take offense. :)

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
i completely disagree.
besides that point, i would not call myself "religious" when u believe something with all ur heart and u know for a fact it is the absolute truth, its not a "religious" thing, it is a life style.
i am a christian. it is who i am. it is not what i "follow" its who i am. i am totally and utterly besottedly in love with Jesus, and i know he is real. i know it i know it i know it! and i would love u to know it too, but i am not going to jam it down ur throat. i dont need to convince u in order for me to have more security in my beliefs. i dont need to have u all apologise for trying to tear everythin i believe in to shreads.
i do NOT doubt the human races abilities.
but i would if we had decended from apes.
i love the human race. Becos they are all created by God! that puts SO much worth on a person, far more than stemming from ape like creatures. would u like to believe u are nothing? that u are seriously the result of a big bang blow up accident billions of years ago, which thruout time has resulted in an evolution from a single cell to an apelike mammal to a human being???? u would rather believe ur the decendant of some gorilla type?
no wonder so many people feel they hav no worth, no purpose. how could u possibly feel any amount of dignity or value on ur life when all u are is an educated mammal, decendant of apes. (or ape like mammals)

and no, modern christianity is not like a tool. u cant do that. its either all or none. and i am going 4 all of it without a doubt.

after death.... lets say there is nothing. its ok i have lost nothing by believing in Christ my entire life, i hav felt security and value and purpose. and noone gets anything after death so we are all the same.
but lets say there is life after death. wat have u lost by believing nothing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)