• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (2 Viewers)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
stamos said:
if you believe that you can unravel the mysteries of the universe on bos, good luck to you
If you believe thought and reasoning is a waste of time, good luck to you. Just because we can't spit out 'x' doesn't mean what we're doing is pointless.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I think the whole belief system is based on our childhood. The majority of us thoroughly believed in Santa Claus for the first few years of our life, and nobody could convince us otherwise... except, of course, our parents.

Many of the children I know now believe in Santa Claus just as much as they do God, and will continue to do so until the day their parents sit them down and tell them the truth. What is the difference between believing in Santa Claus and God? They have their own stories, they are taught to us as children, they both cannot be proved and rely merely on faith and confidence that they exist.

To me, it's sad to think that the only real difference between God and Santa Claus is the fact that some of us have grown up.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's not just you..
The only problem is as people start to challenge christianity people start taking part in their own weird little religions that are JUST AS BAD.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea i believe... that to truely understand the complexity, beauty of this world you have to be an atheist.

An omnipotent god made our planet... wow, i'm so impressed. That would be like Tony Hawk doing an olly.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
honky tonk said:
To me, it's sad to think that the only real difference between God and Santa Claus is the fact that some of us have grown up.
hmm that's a bit harsh

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
There might be a god, but not the god christianity talks about. It might be a designer who is just as flawed as we are. That would make more sense if you think about it; she made us, watched us grow, and then found something better to do. I await the day she accidentally steps on us or something :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sure she'd take it as a compliment :)

(or zap you into oblivion with a lightning bolt or something)

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Or is she just a lady who is trying to make a quick buck, says a few initials hoping that one of them will corrospond with a relative saying obscure comments about stuff they're saying to her?

This can be applied to alot of religious stories... such as ur one about the man on the plane. One time my parents were going to hop in a car with a guy that had been drinking.. they decided not to go, he crashed & died. Now what's more likely, that god was sparing their lives? or that they knew he was drunk and there was a risk of a crash?
Maybe God gave ppl common sense? anyways, my sisters best friend's dad was a full on biggest athiest (like alot of u :)) was completely against a whole lot of ppl becos they were christians, would not under any circumstances change his mind. he was doing some work stuff in fiji and got really sick, and died.
clinically dead.
completely and utterly dead.
he came back to life.
sure thats a miracle but that isnt wat iis so "good" bout this.... becos i know doctors and medicine are heaps advanced now. when he came back to life, he knew there was a God. he died an athiest. he came back to life a christian.
wat would b the point in becoming a christian when he came back to life, unless he had encountered GOD on the "other side"
i know he was dead. iknew him before and i know him now. and even tho i was completely a dedicated christian before that, that sort of thing confirms that its right :)
do u believe in absolute truth?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
beccaxx said:
Maybe God gave ppl common sense? anyways, my sisters best friend's dad was a full on biggest athiest (like alot of u :)) was completely against a whole lot of ppl becos they were christians, would not under any circumstances change his mind. he was doing some work stuff in fiji and got really sick, and died.
clinically dead.
completely and utterly dead.
he came back to life.
sure thats a miracle but that isnt wat iis so "good" bout this.... becos i know doctors and medicine are heaps advanced now. when he came back to life, he knew there was a God. he died an athiest. he came back to life a christian.
wat would b the point in becoming a christian when he came back to life, unless he had encountered GOD on the "other side"
i know he was dead. iknew him before and i know him now. and even tho i was completely a dedicated christian before that, that sort of thing confirms that its right :)
do u believe in absolute truth?
It means that he wasn't a true Aethiest. Christianity was eating his heart and soul like so many maggots in rotten, filthy meat - leeching any sense of self worth, self belief, strength and so on and so forth long before he converted.

Last edited:

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
yes he was an atheist.
u make christianity sound so appealing.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
and either way, when he died something convinced him to become a christian (whether he believed in a god b4 this or not) which was totally against everythin he had stood for before he died. imagine how "embarassed" u would be to go and become a christian after being so against them 4 ages. its not the kind of thing u would do unless u had something solid that u believed in more than ur reputation as a christian hater

iamsickofyear12

HSC
waterfowl said:
Well there is actually scientific proof to support the Bible which says the Earth has been around for only a few thousand years (and I'm not going to list it all you can research it yourself). I'll give one example - something about the dust on the moon, and if we really have been here for millions of years the thickness of the "moon dust" should have meant that people who have landed on the moon would have sunk!

And there are obscure mentionings of dinosaurs in the Bible, or at least animals that don't exist now. I am not sure on the exact locations in the Bible but I know they are there (and I am not talking about the creatures in Revelations).

So whereas scientists have their "proof", so do Christians.
Christians don't have their proof. They have a bunch of nothing they sometimes try and call truth but everyone knows they are full of shit. I don't mind people being christian, thats their choice but people who try and prove how real it is are morons.

Pay attention to this cause this is the simple answer. The ONLY way to PROVE christianity is for you to show us god. Oh sorry you can't do that because (insert excuse here) and people should believe anyway because (insert stupid lies that aren't proof at all here).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Even tho i am a very strong atheist... there is always a question that makes me think,
'if i am wrong (about my faith), is it really that bad?', I can think of several circumstances where it is... but it definately makes me think.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Fear of death is most likely what made him take up christianity...

There are former priests who have written books about how fake the bible eventually became to them, how they converted to atheism..

I do not sight a person having a near-death experience then comming back to life and decideing (shit i better cover all bases, GOD IS REAL!) as proof.
Better proof to me would be Jesus or the devil or any other make believe creation.

There are people of all religions who have had near death experiences and come back to claim they have seen THEIR heaven, what makes you think they all saw the christian heaven?

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
There are former priests who have written books about how fake the bible eventually became to them, how they converted to atheism..
Just as there are books about athesists etc who have written books about how the Bible eventually became more real to them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The basic facts stand...I can show you people NO GOD, you cannot show me God.

You seem to me like George W Bush, trying to convince me that there are weapons of mass destruction SOMEWHERE in iraq. lol

waterfowl

HSC
A point I'm sure you've heard many times before: you can't see gravity, you can only see the effects of it. Does that mean that gravity doesn't exist? No, it just means that you can't see it.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
waterfowl said:
A point I'm sure you've heard many times before: you can't see gravity, you can only see the effects of it. Does that mean that gravity doesn't exist? No, it just means that you can't see it.
Where are the effects of god. You can't comapre the effects of god to gravity. The effects of religion is huge, but I think you may be confusing that with the effects of god. Show me an effect of god.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
oh not again... unless you can prove the existence of God, right here, right now, in this forum, you can't possibly have anything constructive to offer... aside from amusing the athiests and annoying the agnostics.. or vice versa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)