Circle Geometry Proofs (1 Viewer)

qwerty44

HSC
Im not having trouble with proving stuff, but rather writing the proofs for each theorem. Im not sure what to write for each one. this may sound dumb but I can't afford to write out the whole theorem, and I cant be too brief...fussy teacher.

So what should I write for each theorem?

For example: The exterior angle of a cyclic quadrilateral is equal to the opposite interior angle.

Do I write out the whole thing, or just "exterior angle of cyclic quad."??

funnytomato

HSC
you may be able to get away with shortening the theorem, but how brief is too brief ?

I think it's too hard to say, so I'd probably write down the whole thing

Aysce

HSC
Im not having trouble with proving stuff, but rather writing the proofs for each theorem. Im not sure what to write for each one. this may sound dumb but I can't afford to write out the whole theorem, and I cant be too brief...fussy teacher.

So what should I write for each theorem?

For example: The exterior angle of a cyclic quadrilateral is equal to the opposite interior angle.

Do I write out the whole thing, or just "exterior angle of cyclic quad."??
Hmm, in that case I would write out:

Exterior angle of quadrilateral equal to opposite interior angle.

Basically just say it as long as it makes sense but briefly. Don't worry if the one I listed has no "The" since it's maths, not english.

qwerty44

HSC
many books use this kind of abbreviations, which looks fine to me
as long as you don't get a fussy teacher marking your assessments, or in the HSC

I'd use the abbreviations in practice ,but remember what the full version is
and use that in real exams
Your probably right, no point risking it. Thanks

deswa1

HSC
You should do whatever your teachers want. I know at Tech, we can't write alt. ∠s, // lines, but rather have to write alternate angles on parallel lines. If we wrote the former, we'd lose marks so basically check with your school. Do whatever in the HSC though.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
In one of my earlier Preliminary exams, one of my reasons was "External Angle" and I shortened it by writing "Ext. ∠"

I lose a mark there and the teacher circled my reasoning and wrote "Exterior Angle? Extension Angle? Extravagant Angle? What does 'Ext.' mean?" and I found out the hard way that my school did not like these shortcuts.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I feel the teacher was a retard. In the given context 'ext' is well-understood to mean 'external' or 'exterior' as the case may be. In the given context, how could 'ext angle' ever possibly be confused for 'extension angle'[no such thing]or 'extravagant angle'? Still,to you students out there, just to be on the safe side, do as you are told.

Last edited:

such_such

HSC
You should do whatever your teachers want. I know at Tech, we can't write alt. ∠s, // lines, but rather have to write alternate angles on parallel lines. If we wrote the former, we'd lose marks so basically check with your school. Do whatever in the HSC though.
+1

Your schools marks it so you should listen to them.

qwerty44

HSC
The abbreviations provided are fantastic and should be sufficient. However some teachers do not allow some such (e.g. deswa1's)) and I disagree with them.

But your "ext angle of cyclic quad" is not good enough. Point is: "what about it"? You should complete it with, say, "= int opp angle"
That answers my question, as I wasn't sure if we just say enough to identify the theorem, or say most of it. That said, our teacher accepts: "∠ in alternate segment".

qwerty44

HSC
In one of my earlier Preliminary exams, one of my reasons was "External Angle" and I shortened it by writing "Ext. ∠"

I lose a mark there and the teacher circled my reasoning and wrote "Exterior Angle? Extension Angle? Extravagant Angle? What does 'Ext.' mean?" and I found out the hard way that my school did not like these shortcuts.
Lucky it was prelims...

unLimitieDx

HSC
I think if i remember correctly you can write circumference as a circle with a dot in the middle and with a ce next to the circle

theind1996

HSC
N/A

TY for letting me know.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think if i remember correctly you can write circumference as a circle with a dot in the middle and with a ce next to the circle
Really? To be honest, when it comes to proofs, just NEVER take short cuts and write down your proofs down properly to be on the safe side.

Good habit for the HSC as well.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC

That was probably general nit-picking. I don't think you'd lose that mark in HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)