Citizenship - The Citizenship Testing Discussion Paper (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
otay said:
I saw that article too...and it was a CLEAR joke. Besides its 99.94, every1 knows that - you and your friends sound unAustralian.

On a serious note, as long as you acknowledge Shane Warne is a legend and you can sing every word to "Working Class Man" (in English, kills 2 birds with one stone), I reckon that's good enough for me.
I can sing both "Working Class Man" AND "Khe Sahn" in English. Am I in?

That has been the real challenge for me though - ajusting to the real dead-pan humor Aussies have. And my Sarcasm radar can still be a bit migranty.

(It is excellent in Croatian though, so I am getting there)

otay

HSC
Definetly! Just make sure from now on you remember 99.94.

*Minka*

HSC
I don't think I will forget it now, except I still have a hard time telling those Waugh (sp?) twins apart.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
I don't think I will forget it now, except I still have a hard time telling those Waugh (sp?) twins apart.
OMG so unAustralian! :p j/k

HotShot

-_-
HSC
otay said:
I saw that article too...and it was a CLEAR joke. Besides its 99.94, every1 knows that - you and your friends sound unAustralian.

On a serious note, as long as you acknowledge Shane Warne is a legend and you can sing every word to "Working Class Man" (in English, kills 2 birds with one stone), I reckon that's good enough for me.
Shane Warne a legend - as if man that dude got smacked by the indians all over park. If you wanna be a cricketer then u should remember bradman's average otherwise dont bother.

to be australian: if you forget someone's name or u cant be bothered say their name just say 'mate' that will be australian enough. and also dont forget g'day mate its the usual greeting even during the nite u can get away with it.

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
HotShot said:
to be australian: if you forget someone's name or u cant be bothered say their name just say 'mate' that will be australian enough.
I actually do that! But the only problems is people are then like 'OMG thats so cute with the accent, say it again! And say this and that and etc etc'

HotShot

-_-
HSC
*Minka* said:
I actually do that! But the only problems is people are then like 'OMG thats so cute with the accent, say it again! And say this and that and etc etc'
yes i understand wat u mean, but dont worry they will get bored of ur accent soon. just try to use the moment.

HSC
HotShot said:
Shane Warne a legend - as if man that dude got smacked by the indians all over park. If you wanna be a cricket then u shoudl bradman's average otherwise dont bother.

to be australian: if you forget someone's name or u cant be bothered say their name just say 'mate' that will be australian enough. and also dont forget g'day mate its the usual greeting even during the nite u can get away with it.

Fuck yeah!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Australian History is taught, but craply, and it doesnt really cover much, if i remember right we only did wat happened from federation onwards, and even then much of the focus was on involvement in wars

HotShot

-_-
HSC
townie said:
Australian History is taught, but craply, and it doesnt really cover much, if i remember right we only did wat happened from federation onwards, and even then much of the focus was on involvement in wars
WW1 and WW11 in which only the event was gallipoli. surprised they hardly taught us about the kokoda trail...

lengy

HSC
Malfoy said:
Our Aus history focus was on a) multiculturalism b) feminism/women's suffrage c) stolen generation and d) mateship... in other words it was taught from a purely ideological perspective, which I really resented.
Cause it's blatantly left? :rolleyes: Saying this, I hardly remember much of what I was taught anyways. Except something about Sir Edmund Barton helping found the Federation which is more important than some silly cricketer.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Malfoy said:
I agree. I honestly don't understand why we focus so much on indigenous issues. I understand even less so why we spent almost a semester in Year 9 on women's liberation/suffrage. The 'PC Police' are revolting. And yes, HSC English has been completely ruined... but before I go on a massive tangent I think I'll leave it for another thread. Actually, back on topic, how can they expect migrants to learn English properly when we are taught pseudo-intellectual postmodernist bullshit in place of spelling, grammar, debating, writing, etc. etc.? I mean, seriously now, if people at selective schools can't use their tenses correctly in late high school, what the hell is going on?

*is going to be teaching English & History*
*is in for a long ride*
i can tbelieve they are teaching in yr 11 and yr 12 - wtf is the going on we have taught english for nearly 17-18 odd years? english should be taught till yr 10 (and pretty intensely till then) and then totally abolished in yr11 and yr 12 - i learnt jack shit in english in the HSC. who gives a fuck about shakespeare - its not like i am going read his crap or write it or write poems or something there are btter things to do in life than write poems.

in those two years - science and maths, should be focus, how to make nuclear bombs, and perform simple surgery, build robots etc instead of wasting time on english. at least focus on another language.

anyway citizenship isnt going to solve any problems , but probably create some. i can see people looking at australians - as xenophobic.

HSC
HotShot said:
i can tbelieve they are teaching in yr 11 and yr 12 - wtf is the going on we have taught english for nearly 17-18 odd years? english should be taught till yr 10 (and pretty intensely till then) and then totally abolished in yr11 and yr 12 - i learnt jack shit in english in the HSC. who gives a fuck about shakespeare - its not like i am going read his crap or write it or write poems or something there are btter things to do in life than write poems.

in those two years - science and maths, should be focus, how to make nuclear bombs, and perform simple surgery, build robots etc instead of wasting time on english. at least focus on another language.

anyway citizenship isnt going to solve any problems , but probably create some. i can see people looking at australians - as xenophobic.
It shows, though I suspect your learning stopped a little before the HSC ;)

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
It shows, though I suspect your learning stopped a little before the HSC ;)
for english yes, because there was nothing new or interesting taugh in hsc english. as a result i learnt jackshit (which does not mean i did not do well in the subject)

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Personally, I believe English should be optional. If you want to learn about it and are perhaps interested in getting a job which requires the skills taught in English, then do so but if you just want to be a tradesman or something, you really don't need it.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Snaykew said:
Personally, I believe English should be optional. If you want to learn about it and are perhaps interested in getting a job which requires the skills taught in English, then do so but if you just want to be a tradesman or something, you really don't need it.
if you wanna be a journalist, a writer or some lowlife poet - by all means study english for your whole life...

otherwise u can work more interesting things, like being a mechanic, or scientists or an engineer, or a doctor - where english is just required for basic communication.

otay

HSC
HotShot said:
otherwise u can work more interesting things, like being a mechanic, or scientists or an engineer, or a doctor - where english is just required for basic communication.
Hmmm I tend to think not. If you cannot communicate both orally and in writing (many times at a certain level of sophistication), you will not get very far as an engineer. This is fact unfortunately (I fucking hate writing). However the stuff taught in yrs 11 and 12, I agree is pointless for most people.

But we are deviating a little from the argument. I don't believes immigrants must know yr 11 or 12 english, or years 9 or 10 for that matter. As long as they can communicate in English, then it's all good for me. Doesn't mean they have to speak it all the time.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
otay said:
Hmmm I tend to think not. If you cannot communicate both orally and in writing (many times at a certain level of sophistication), you will not get very far as an engineer. This is fact unfortunately (I fucking hate writing). However the stuff taught in yrs 11 and 12, I agree is pointless for most people.
Trust me, if you are a engineer, u will have enough oral and communication skills. But to go further will depend on ur engineering skills and of course management and communication skills - but that does not mean hsc english will help you. HSC english doesnt do anything in my opinion.. if you study till yr 10 and do well inenglish above 75% - then i think english is good.

I mean the more study and learn the better you will be, but the HSC english is not worth it.

Also most immigrants who have recently gained citizenship i am sure possess excellent english skills. IT would be pointless just to target the minute number of people who arent that gud (but i am sure they will learn in time anyway). IT is unfair i believe to introduce these tests to people who genuily want to be citizens but lets say are not smart.

HSC
quote: "IT is unfair i believe to introduce these tests to people who genuily want to be citizens but lets say are not smart."

Lol. There are enough stupid australians, why would we want to import more? ;)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
quote: "IT is unfair i believe to introduce these tests to people who genuily want to be citizens but lets say are not smart."

Lol. There are enough stupid australians, why would we want to import more? ;)
lol thats harsh.

poor aussies/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)