Class of 2010: Eng Ext 2 Roll Call (1 Viewer)

MissGiggles

HSC
Oh for fucks sake, you people have no backbone. This is YOUR major work, the piece that YOU will be spending almost a year on so do what YOU want to do. If you like your topic/form/concepts your more likely to produce a sophisticated, in depth and 'unique' MW.
look, please don't take this as a personal vandetta against you because i have nothing better to do on my day off from school than rant at randoms online. but you can't hand up anything. there are guidelines for everything at school. and so we do have to modify it to what the teachers want.

apparently a guy in this finishing year did a creative writing piece on the evolution of the word fuck. it can get good marks but it's sure not going to be presented publicly lol.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Surely your intelligent enough to produce a MW that is a product of your own imagination/mind within the parameters of the course. People who go along with what they're told are idiots, you might do fine at school but you fail at life.

JaffaP

HSC
Will be writing a drama script - most likely subject matter so far is a hybrid drama of Dr Seuss and historical influences (ATM, considering The Cold War).

Last edited:

abraxan

HSC
I'm not sure what I'm doing yet - I was actually going to drop it. But now I don't want to drop it, because I really want to do it. But I've fallen behind, and have no idea what I want to do /exhasperated.

Going to go look for a sexy fecking journal though. Maybe it'll inspire me.

wolfninjakp

HSC
Reporting in

Started out wanting to do a critical response, but now im doing poetry, because it suited my idea better =D

Penta

HSC
Story Story.. gr still dont know what im gonna do. Thinking maybe something to do with history. Any ideas?

I dont have a sexy journal -sigh-

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
It doesn't need to be sexy as long as it is a journal.

But Penta pick an area of history you enjoy because you need to put a lot of research into the story to make it good to the markers.

MissGiggles

HSC
are any older people reading this that can give me some tips for a science fiction short story? i have this idea i could really work with and my mentor, my ext. 2 teacher, my friends, the lady at bookhire....everyone seems to like it. i just need to be really careful with pulling it off in the science fiction way.

and problem two is linking my idea back to my other english work lol that's all going to be bull- but nothing there is inspiring me.

MissGiggles

HSC
haha there's a whole module in ext 1 called 'sci-fi' be careful of going too close to the ext 1 course there...
i thought we were supposed to be influenced and inspired by the advanced and extension 1 courses. we have to write all about it in the journal anyway.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
i thought we were supposed to be influenced and inspired by the advanced and extension 1 courses. we have to write all about it in the journal anyway.
Yeah it is supposed to be influenced and inspired by the advanced and extension 1 courses. You're generally right though since you can say something about an underlying tone of belonging within the text and point out to it in your reflection statement.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Hi everyone, been offline for a bit so I only just discovered this.:wave:

I am doing critical for extension 2 and my basic premise is (probably) going to be gender roles in lesbian literature: are these a caricature of heterosexal ones or are they real identities. Looking at pre-stonewall literature. Need to narrow it down I know.

I have a mentor already. She has taught the course several times before. I would still love any comments people have, be they positive or negative.

:read:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I'm not entirely sure on the specifics right now, I'll be narrowing it down to either four books or four authors within the 19th and 20th centuries hopefully.

Wouldn't mind tying it in to more modern stuff but the word limit is very tight.:)

ptrgrgry

HSC
I can't wait to write my major work. I'm doing a short story - an erotic history of European settlement in Australia... it's all to do with the sexual exploration of the unknown. My mentor loves it!

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I have no idea whatsoever. I was considering exploring the representation of insanity in post modernism but ugh. I had so many ideas running through my head, and now I have none.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I have no idea whatsoever. I was considering exploring the representation of insanity in post modernism but ugh. I had so many ideas running through my head, and now I have none.
I've read the markers note online and noticed that postmodernism was both popular/done to death and especially in short stories to construct a 'clever' narrative.

A direct-ish quote:
Weaker major works were characterized by the adoption of a ‘postmodern’ style in the belief that this would add sophistication, causing a disruption of textual integrity and limited engagement.

If you can do it well, which I'm sure you can, good luck. I just know I'm avoiding it like the plague.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I would be critiquing the representation of insanity in post modernism, not doing a short story with post modern conventions.

Post modernism done well is splendid, there have just been far too many wankers who forgo capital letters, spacing and punctuation for no reason who claim to be using post modern techniques.

I'm tempted to do something fucked up like a marxist reading of Harry Potter.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
If you're not already you'll need to get used to criticism in order to refine your work. So will I. We will all need to.
Oh yes, but when something is prefaced by 'something fucked up like' you just don't take it seriously. Although Sihkman, I'd be interested in reading your MW. It seems like quite an interesting topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)