• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Class Ranking (4 Viewers)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
In your scenario Person A gets 94 as their moderated assessment mark and 80 for their exam so a final HSC of (94+80)/2=87
Person B will get 94 for their exam mark and a mark about 8 marks lower than Person A so a moderated exam mark of 86 giving a final HSC of (86+94)/2=90

In the final wash-up both benefit by the strength of their best performance but are pulled down by their weaker performance in 50% of the final mark. So Person B's great exam mark has benefitted both of them - as Person B keeps that exam mark and Person A who would have strenghts in areas other than exams, or who hasn't put in a lot of effort at the end, has been rewarded for consistency throughout the year but been pulled down by something - poor exam skills, poor exam preparation etc. If it was because of illness or other factors that would lead to a misadventure then they would be getting 94 for both.
Lumix didn't specify whether person b was 2nd, 3rd, or any other rank, if they aren't 2nd this goes out the window.

NubMuncher

HSC
Dont forget, your own HSC mark is counted as well, so even if you come second in the internals, you can still come 1st overall in your subject. :spin:

HSC
I think that's how it works.

But bare in mind, that the difference between no 1 and no 2's mark is usually quite small.

andy69

HSC
so how does this sytem go i know now that 1st would take 2nd mark if the 2nd ranked person got higher what if just say the person who is coming 5th for the year gets the highest hsc in the school how would that add up would that mark go to the 1st person?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
so how does this sytem go i know now that 1st would take 2nd mark if the 2nd ranked person got higher what if just say the person who is coming 5th for the year gets the highest hsc in the school how would that add up would that mark go to the 1st person?
yes, if rank 5 got the highest mark in the hsc then that hsc mark would be rank 1's assessment mark (50% of end mark). But they also get to keep their hsc mark.. just their assessment mark would seem a little low(er)

andy69

HSC
yes, if rank 5 got the highest mark in the hsc then that hsc mark would be rank 1's assessment mark (50% of end mark). But they also get to keep their hsc mark.. just their assessment mark would seem a little low(er)
oh yeah so you plus both scores and divide it by 2 the system is unfair truly i mean people deserve the marks they get (if its low at the start and you get higher as the year progresses or if you get high at the start and screw up your hsc),just say the 1st person screws up his hsc why should he rely on someone else pushing him into a course which he wants to get into,i dont think anyones made this point yet. it doesnt matter how consistent they are the whole year i mean they dont do this for year 11 if someone screws up there yearly exam.

andy69

HSC
sorry for double posting but may i also ask just say your coming 6th would you have to give your rank to the people above you just say you beat 4th and 5th in the hsc. but didnt beat 1st,2nd 3rd.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
sorry for double posting but may i also ask just say your coming 6th would you have to give your rank to the people above you just say you beat 4th and 5th in the hsc. but didnt beat 1st,2nd 3rd.
If you don't understand the system go ask a board of studies person, or enquire on the website, because you are frustrating me beyond belief.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lumix didn't specify whether person b was 2nd, 3rd, or any other rank, if they aren't 2nd this goes out the window.
Of course - I was working on the assumption that Person B was 2nd.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The system is fairly simple:

School sends in the following marks: A = 98; B = 91; C = 88; D = 71, E = 70 and F = 49
Then in the exam the following marks were gained: A = 94; B = 96; C = 90; D = 40; E = 90 and F = 60

then the top assessment mark will be 96 and the bottom will be 40 so A will get (96+94)/2 = 95 and F will get (40+60)/2 = 50

now the rest of the marks from the exam are added up 94+90+90+60 = 334

thus the four middle students will get 334 as the total of their assessment marks using the gaps and ranks from the school.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
oh yeah so you plus both scores and divide it by 2 the system is unfair truly i mean people deserve the marks they get (if its low at the start and you get higher as the year progresses or if you get high at the start and screw up your hsc),just say the 1st person screws up his hsc why should he rely on someone else pushing him into a course which he wants to get into,i dont think anyones made this point yet. it doesnt matter how consistent they are the whole year i mean they dont do this for year 11 if someone screws up there yearly exam.
Year 12 is not only about the exam. The system is set up to have students work all year and to showcase their skills in tasks and areas that can't be shown in an exam.

In Year 11 surely your school uses the Assessment Tasks and the Exams to determine the final result - not just the exam - exactly the same as the HSC - the assessment tasks and the exam are used to get the final result.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
cem explained it fairly well. Just don't underestimate the importance of your assessments. Every mark and rank counts.. just don't get too competitive

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
cem explained it fairly well. Just don't underestimate the importance of your assessments. Every mark and rank counts.. just don't get too competitive
Where's the fun in that? :p

muzeikchun852

HSC
The system is fairly simple:

School sends in the following marks: A = 98; B = 91; C = 88; D = 71, E = 70 and F = 49
Then in the exam the following marks were gained: A = 94; B = 96; C = 90; D = 40; E = 90 and F = 60

then the top assessment mark will be 96 and the bottom will be 40 so A will get (96+94)/2 = 95 and F will get (40+60)/2 = 50

now the rest of the marks from the exam are added up 94+90+90+60 = 334

thus the four middle students will get 334 as the total of their assessment marks using the gaps and ranks from the school.
your explanation is kind of wrong. person A should get 94 for both his internal and external - the reason for that is because the highest / lowest ranked person in the internal will get the highest / lowest mark in external - hence 94. and person F will get 60 for both as well. your explanation will be totally wrong if you think about what happen if the school assessment tasks were extremely easy. how could bos set a same standard across the state ?

other than that, the explainsyion on the the gaps of the marks are correct . : )

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
your explanation is kind of wrong. person A should get 94 for both his internal and external - the reason for that is because the highest / lowest ranked person in the internal will get the highest / lowest mark in external - hence 94. and person F will get 60 for both as well. your explanation will be totally wrong if you think about what happen if the school assessment tasks were extremely easy. how could bos set a same standard across the state ?

other than that, the explainsyion on the the gaps of the marks are correct . : )
wrong.
You obviously haven't looked at all the marks.
... just... no...

ibbi00

HSC

No, he's actually correct.

But I've also found that the smaller the gaps between individuals' internal marks the better it reflects on your cohorts' assessment marks. For instance, in English Standard, the gap was no more than 2 marks between 1st (me) and 3rd (other guy) after my school decided to remove a massive 5 mark gap between 1st and 2nd, unintentionally of course.

I ended up with 92 (exam) 92 (assessment) whilst 2nd ended up with 76 90. I've also noticed a discrepancy of up to 10 marks (assessment being higher than exam) across all my cohort, even in the lower half of the cohort. So it helps if someone in your cohort smashes their externals.

It is imperative for you to recognise that competition ends once trials are over and it is in your best interest that you encourage others to study and help them if you can in the hope that someone kills their externals.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
His explanation was perfectly fine. Once the first and bottom marks have been given out, everything in the middle is divided up in a total pool according to the exact gaps from internal assessments done at your school... some marks will have to be pushed and pulled to work properly though.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

No they don't.

Everyone keeps their own exam mark regardless.

Then they use the exam marks to moderate the assessment marks - to actually adjust the assessment marks for the difficulty or otherwise of the tasks given at school.

Person A gets 94 for their exam mark as that was what they earnt but the highest exam mark for the class was 96 so that becomes their assessment mark.

The same with Person F. They keep their own exam mark of 60 but get 40 for their assessment mark as that was the lowest mark earnt by the cohort.

HSC
Uni Grad
No, he's actually correct.

But I've also found that the smaller the gaps between individuals' internal marks the better it reflects on your cohorts' assessment marks. For instance, in English Standard, the gap was no more than 2 marks between 1st (me) and 3rd (other guy) after my school decided to remove a massive 5 mark gap between 1st and 2nd, unintentionally of course.

I ended up with 92 (exam) 92 (assessment) whilst 2nd ended up with 76 90. I've also noticed a discrepancy of up to 10 marks (assessment being higher than exam) across all my cohort, even in the lower half of the cohort. So it helps if someone in your cohort smashes their externals.

It is imperative for you to recognise that competition ends once trials are over and it is in your best interest that you encourage others to study and help them if you can in the hope that someone kills their externals.
*She's.

His explanation was perfectly fine. Once the first and bottom marks have been given out, everything in the middle is divided up in a total pool according to the exact gaps from internal assessments done at your school... some marks will have to be pushed and pulled to work properly though.
*Her.

muzeikchun852

HSC
No they don't.

Everyone keeps their own exam mark regardless.

Then they use the exam marks to moderate the assessment marks - to actually adjust the assessment marks for the difficulty or otherwise of the tasks given at school.
Person A gets 94 for their exam mark as that was what they earnt but the highest exam mark for the class was 96 so that becomes their assessment mark.

The same with Person F. They keep their own exam mark of 60 but get 40 for their assessment mark as that was the lowest mark earnt by the cohort.
you contradicted yourself. even though you said they use the "exam marks to moderate the assessment marks", yet their assessment marks dont change at all ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)