classical (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
Playable? I'm sure there are a few that are playable
I'd really want to try them out then, must discover more of them. Lol this is ironic, since we're on the subject of playable concerti, in mov 1 part 2 of the Brahms at 9:26 there was a freakishly dense chordal tremelo :O I was like, what.is.this.how.is.this.even.possible

qrpw

HSC
I went to see Lang Lang, SO MANY ASIANS. He attracts a completely different audience (i.e. asian pianists who have been told by their parents to go :D) But I was an idiot and bought his recital performance, since he played a few pieces from Albeniz's Iberia, which I love, and didn't get the Rach or the Tchaikovsky concerto. It didn't make up for it :( Oh well, if only we hav the power of hindsight.

planino

HSC
I think our school is going there just as a supplementary thing as well Although we're not doing Romeo and Juliet as I have been told...
If there's a Chopin/Brahms/Beethoven etc. concerto in a neighbouring hall, sneak into that one :D I know I'd love to do that

Yes, I remember the two guest pianists last year were Evgeny Kissin and Lang Lang. I missed out on his concert as well Kissin is still around I think though.

I'm going to this performance exactly
http://www.sydneysymphony.com/season...rahms/details/
The pianist is Philippe Bianconi whom I've never heard before, so I look forward to hearing his interpretation

EDIT: Ok, I've just found an article about him playing the same piano concerto and he seems to be a very impressive player
http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lans...ysterious.html
Hmm never heard of him either, might youtube him later after the Shostakovitch Cello. The feeling of listening to a new pianist who just wows your expectations is just amazing :)

I went to see Lang Lang, SO MANY ASIANS. He attracts a completely different audience (i.e. asian pianists who have been told by their parents to go ) But I was an idiot and bought his recital performance, since he played a few pieces from Albeniz's Iberia, which I love, and didn't get the Rach or the Tchaikovsky concerto. It didn't make up for it Oh well, if only we hav the power of hindsight.
urgh better luck next time, I'd kill (well, not really) to hear him play Tchaikovsky, Rach! I used to dislike Lang Lang a little (so did youtube, but mainly cos of his face) since he played a little fast but now he's one of my favs.

HSC
I'd really want to try them out then, must discover more of them. Lol this is ironic, since we're on the subject of playable concerti, in mov 1 part 2 of the Brahms at 9:26 there was a freakishly dense chordal tremelo :O I was like, what.is.this.how.is.this.even.possible
Haha, do you mean this part?

looks simple enough, but extremely tough to play it really fast and you can't let the orchestra drown you out at the end haha.

Last edited:

planino

HSC
Haha, do you mean this part?

looks straightforward enough, but extremely tough to play especially when you can't let the orchestra drown you out at the end haha.
Yeah seems like that part, I mistook that he was tremelo-ing with chords in both hands; Straightforward??? Lol what grade are you in?

HSC
Yeah seems like that part, I mistook that he was tremelo-ing with chords in both hands; Straightforward??? Lol what grade are you in?
lol, I said that it looks straightforward but in reality it's quite hard (at least I think so), especially playing the right hand in the last two bars anyway, I doubt I can pull it off haha :p

edit: I was in 8th grade piano before I quit, although most of my friends who still play the piano now are doing A/L Mus

Last edited:

planino

HSC

Part 2

Guys please listen to these, it's one of the most beautiful, rich, mellow movements I've ever heard (ok I'm biased cos Rachmaninoff is my fav hehe)

planino

HSC
Just finished listening to the Shostakovich, so pumped that I doubt I can get any sleep! (great composition despite being a little short)

planino

HSC
lol, I said that it looks straightforward but in reality it's quite hard (at least I think so), especially playing the right hand in the last two bars anyway, I doubt I can pull it off haha :p

edit: I was in 8th grade piano before I quit, although most of my friends who still play the piano now are doing A/L Mus
Noice! bahahah to me it doesn't even look straigtforward, let alone attempting to play it. The poor hammers of my upright would hate me if I tried that (I can't even trill heheh). Wow, 8th grade, I'm saying that cos I know you (and your friends) can play thirds scales while I struggle with b-flat major and a piece called 'Easy Fugue' by telemann (me is a nooblet in Grade 4)

HSC
Noice! bahahah to me it doesn't even look straigtforward, let alone attempting to play it. The poor hammers of my upright would hate me if I tried that (I can't even trill heheh). Wow, 8th grade, I'm saying that cos I know you (and your friends) can play thirds scales while I struggle with b-flat major and a piece called 'Easy Fugue' by telemann (me is a nooblet in Grade 4)
tbh, my level of piano playing has downgraded every since I quitted my lessons and practiced much less, although I still play for fun. Don't worry about whatever grade you are in, the most important thing is that you enjoy and appreciate music :) (I know that sounds horribly cheesy but it's true)

planino

HSC
tbh, my level of piano playing has downgraded every since I quitted my lessons and practiced much less, although I still play for fun. Don't worry about whatever grade you are in, the most important thing is that you enjoy and appreciate music
A lot of cheesy things are true and it's great that you still play after quitting, many just stop playing. Thanks, my problem is that I often try to play pieces beyond my ability like Chopin's nocturne op27 no2, Rach op23 no7, Rach op23 no5, Chopin etc. etc. etc. The only two I've managed so far is Rachmaninoff's C# minor prelude op3 no2 and Chopin's Eb major nocturne op9 no2 and right now I'm trying to work on Brahms' op39 no15 waltz (let alone the half yearlies)

lang lang ugh
I know he looks like he's getting fisted, but he just enjoys the music so much that he can't help his facial expressions. His playing is quite nice actually, if you can't bear his face then just close your eyes or leave the vid in another tab while you do something else, but yeah each to their own. I personally think Lisitsa plays a little too fast these days

HSC
A lot of cheesy things are true and it's great that you still play after quitting, many just stop playing. Thanks, my problem is that I often try to play pieces beyond my ability like Chopin's nocturne op27 no2, Rach op23 no7, Rach op23 no5, Chopin etc. etc. etc. The only two I've managed so far is Rachmaninoff's C# minor prelude op3 no2 and Chopin's Eb major nocturne op9 no2 and right now I'm trying to work on Brahms' op39 no15 waltz (let alone the half yearlies)
I think it's great that you are trying to extend yourself to harder pieces, however you don't have to go too overboard. Aside from your grade 4 exam pieces, I would say start with some easier pieces which you feel confident in playing, and then work your way up once you've mastered each piece. Honestly, you can assess your own ability more than me, so just follow what feels right for you. Also, ask your piano teacher for advice and what he/she thinks.

There are obviously always going to be some pieces beyond your ability, but don't worry that. Eventually your playing will improve, it's only a matter of time if you are consistent and committed with your practice. Also, make sure you make a good solid foundation before you try a very challenging piece, don't jump straight into the deep end so soon. Don't neglect your scales and music theory (like I did). Scale fingerings are the basis for most practical and functional fingering choices with scale-like passages in most repertoires. Once you master all of them, it's gets a lot easier to play various parts of many pieces. If you get stuck on a very technically challenging part on, try some of the Hanon's exercises that can warm you up and help with whatever you are trying to play

http://www.freepdfsheetmusic.com/hanonexercises.asp?FirstChar=H&FileType=

edit: here are better links

http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=3543#
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=3544
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=3545

And last and not least, try not to get too caught with the technical side. Musicality, expression and stylistic sense is just as important and don't forget to play with feeling :)

I know he looks like he's getting fisted, but he just enjoys the music so much that he can't help his facial expressions. His playing is quite nice actually, if you can't bear his face then just close your eyes or leave the vid in another tab while you do something else, but yeah each to their own. I personally think Lisitsa plays a little too fast these days
Yes, I admit his facial expression can be quite amusing and distracting, however I think that his playing is ethereal. He puts so much life and energy into the piece and his style and interpretation of Chopin is spot on. It's like he's savouring every note and phrase. It's the sort of playing that you can't help but feel inspired to, IMHO.

Last edited:

qrpw

HSC
Rach 2 Movement 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1uk7hdM7o
Sorry, couldn't resist :)

I agree with twinklegal, the bottom line is that music is something to be appreciated. It doesn't matter if you can't play as well as the top performers. It's pretty clear to me that you do love music, and that's something to be eternally grateful for.

Rachmaninoff's C# minor prelude op3 no2....I know he looks like he's getting fisted, but he just enjoys the music so much that he can't help his facial expressions. His playing is quite nice actually, if you can't bear his face then just close your eyes or leave the vid in another tab while you do something else, but yeah each to their own. I personally think Lisitsa plays a little too fast these days
Really? If you can play that prelude, you're really good!

His faces were worse before, they're not as bad now. But you have to admit his actual sound and tone is impeccable. Also, "he looks like he's getting fisted". AHAHAHAH

planino

HSC
I think it's great that you are trying to extend yourself to harder pieces, however you don't have to go too overboard. Aside from your grade 4 exam pieces, I would say start with some easier pieces which you feel confident in playing, and then work your way up once you've mastered each piece. Honestly, you can assess your own ability more than me, so just follow what feels right for you. Also, ask your piano teacher for advice and what he/she thinks.

There are obviously always going to be some pieces beyond your ability, but don't worry that. Eventually your playing will improve, it's only a matter of time if you are consistent and committed with your practice. Also, make sure you make a good solid foundation before you try a very challenging piece, don't jump straight into the deep end so soon. Don't neglect your scales and music theory (like I did). Scale fingerings are the basis for most practical and functional fingering choices with scale-like passages in most repertoires. Once you master all of them, it's gets a lot easier to play various parts of many pieces. If you get stuck on a very technically challenging part on, try some of the Hanon's exercises that can warm you up and help with whatever you are trying to play
http://www.freepdfsheetmusic.com/han...ar=H&FileType=

And last and not least, try not to get too caught with the technical side. Musicality, expression and stylistic sense is just as important and don't forget to play with feeling
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I hate scales with a passion, but I love playing all but one of my Grade 4 pieces. I'll lay off the difficult stuff, or if I'm feeling a little too confident I'll try to perfect op9 no2 and op3 no2. I've noticed that a lot of those difficult runs are actually scale/arpeggio like and (unfortunately) I'm gunna have to start off slow, which hopefully I will through practicing scales (my C# minor starts off as C# minor, modulates to F# minor and ends on a strange combined version of the two because of my lack of commitment to fingering). I would rep you, but it won't let me so here is a verbal rep - "Rep" (lame and corny I know, but it's the least I can do right now)

BINGO! Those idiots on youtube only comment to get thumbs up and to put Lang Lang down for the sake of trying to extract a(n often cheap) laughter out of vid watchers. They're blind and deaf to the beautiful expressive sound that comes out of the piano, like you said, every note has love, care and attention attached to it and you can hear (and see :p) it. Those deaf and blind dummies can't, people these days...
His playing keeps getting better and better and although his playing isn't my absolute favourite (his Chopin is brilliant, some of his Rach is not to my liking) but I really like his love and devotion toward the piano

planino

HSC
Rach 2 Movement 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1uk7hdM7o
Sorry, couldn't resist
HAHAH always loved I&J, also love their "Rachmaninoff had big hands" video

I agree with twinklegal, the bottom line is that music is something to be appreciated. It doesn't matter if you can't play as well as the top performers. It's pretty clear to me that you do love music, and that's something to be eternally grateful for.
^

Really? If you can play that prelude, you're really good!
uhh thanks, I'm okay with chords so that piece was do-able but with individual fingerwork I'm terrible so I struggle with even short passages that require fingers 4 or 5 (ugh must practice scales)

Debauchee

HSC
a little overplayed, to be sure

but words cannot describe the sheer sense of...being alive that one feels listening to beethoven no.5

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
far out how did had I not listened to the grieg and schumann piano concertos until now

grieg is probably one of the best concertos I've ever heard holy crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)